Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure Gauge Bounces

I have a 98 sunsetter vlx and the oil pressure gauge will be reading normal and then all of the sudden drop to zero and instantly go back up with normal. The boat runs great all the time and never seems to have a loss of power. Any ideas as to what i may be?

That gauge signal passes through the cannon plug, which is the plug that connects the engine to the helm. It is known to have connection problems at times.

My 200 vlx oil pressure gauge has always done this as well. Mine fades up and down, sometimes bouncing higher than normal range too. Has done it since I've had the boat - 8 years. I think I'll try what Steve B. suggested.

My 200 vlx oil pressure gauge has always done this as well. Mine fades up and down, sometimes bouncing higher than normal range too. Has done it since I've had the boat - 8 years. I think I'll try what Steve B. suggested.

And to be more accurate like you posted, mine tended to "fade" too.

Steve B.

I had this on two "99" sunsetter LXIs. After going through a couple Indmar transmitters I ordered a new oil pressure transmitter from overtons for a PCM for $25. They are more reliable then what Indmar used. I also added a ground to the transmitter case using a radiator hose clamp to hold the bare wire end in place and then grounded the other end to a bracket bolt that was near the transmitter. This stopped all the fluxuating indication problems for the last 10 years. Good luck as these problems will drive you crazy until fixed.

My boat had the same problem too. Tried a new sending unit and all's better now! Easy inexpensive fix. There's a few older threads on here listing the fix.