Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Signs Of Impeller Failing...

Ok, i guess i got it down to bad impeller or trashy trans fluid lines. But if the impeller was bad, wouldnt the motor temp heat up as well as the trans temp? It's not till 30 min of riding i get the trans temp alarm and the motor temp doesnt get over 160. So what are your signs you see that your impeller is getting bad?

Ok, i guess i got it down to bad impeller or trashy trans fluid lines. But if the impeller was bad, wouldnt the motor temp heat up as well as the trans temp? It's not till 30 min of riding i get the trans temp alarm and the motor temp doesnt get over 160. So what are your signs you see that your impeller is getting bad?

Honestly your best bet is to open it up and look at it. If your doing that you might as well as replace it. Do some searching, there a plenty of threads that discuss how to do this. They are somewhere around 30 bucks and that makes changing it well worth the peice of mind.

Honestly your best bet is to open it up and look at it. If your doing that you might as well as replace it. Do some searching, there a plenty of threads that discuss how to do this. They are somewhere around 30 bucks and that makes changing it well worth the peice of mind.

:plus1: There is debate on here about whither to change every year, every two years or carry a spare. Most either do every year or every other year AND carry a spare. As Ruff pointed out they are cheap.

This is making it hard for me to keep up on your issues because there are like 3 threads troubleshooting the same issue. You may want to consider focusing on one thread per issue even if it may be different things, this way people can focus on all the symptoms you're experiencing in one place.

I think it's all been said already. Debate between every 1-2 years is out there. YOU however just got this boat and you have no idea what other people have done to that impeller. Impeller should be changed immediately when you buy a used boat because you have no idea what abuse it's been given. ESPECIALLY if you have the normal black "johnson" brand impellers, those can get trashed from very minimal "abuse". My advice is to get a globe run-dry rated impeller and decide whether or not you're going to change every year or every other.

This should be done *regardless* if it fixes your direct problem or not. This is a general maintenance thing you should try to do every year or every other year.

sign of impeller is a quick notice.. motor temp will go up quik if just sitting in water idling.. sounds like a tranny problem in cooler for that or pump in trans not pumping to cooler .. i would put a gauge on it and see what temp fuild is and start from there..

Yea sorry for the multiple threads, trying to gather info kinda on a different topic that's why I started this one. Malibu vtx where would I put this guage? Also, so there is An internal pump on the transmission to move the liquid? I'm thinking that's the problem...but like everyone else said, ima start on the small fixes and pm's first. I believe their is an internal filter element as well on th trans and it doesnt look to hard to pull and inspect it for trash. I really wanna hook up a pump to the lines and flush around and see if everything flows good

you have to make something to go where the sending unit is already at ..if you dont have a mech..has a buddy to help .. you can disconnect the trans line and make a clear hose to tie togehter and see if fluid is flowing before going any deep into..

i checked today depending on what transmission you got .. it does have a pump and should have around 360 psi and run in temp range of 225 to 250 degrees ..