Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Oil Dipstick Tube

2001 5.7L Indmar engine. When having some engine work done last year the shop I was using decided they thought I needed a Mercruiser dipstick tube installed on my Indmar engine without asking me. Since they installed the new tube, I've never been able to feel confident about the true oil level as the dipstick lengths weren't identical matches.

I am going to be re-installing a new factory Indmar oil dipstick tube in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if there are any tips or tricks. Do I need to drain the oil from the engine or is the full oil level generally below where the tube enters the block? Do I need to use any sealant? I've read that some say to freeze the dipstick tube overnight so it won't be such a tight fit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just remove the old one and freezing the tube overnight will be a good idea as it is a press fit (won't need sealant). Don't worry about the oil as it sits in the sump.

I may be talking out of my a$$, but are they not Chevy small blocks? a little different bend or length, but a tube should come with the correct dipstick, no?

That was my thought. I wouldn't think the tube would come from Indmar. It should be in the block from GM. There is nothing special about the oil pan or oil volumes, so a factory stock tube and dipstick should work whether it's Indmar or not. Or is the Mercruiser not GM?

Do you have confidence that when you do an oil drain it is all out? If so, you could completely drain it, change the filter, add 5.5 qt and run it for a minute or so to make sure the filter is full. After settling back to the pan, make not of "full" level on your dipstick.

Oh, and full oil level is below the bottom of the block. If its not, you'll get all kinds of issues with the rotating assembly whipping it to a froth. I put a small ring of RTV on the tube right where the ridge is that seats to the block before sticking it into the hole. May not be necessary, but won't hurt anything.

That was my thought. I wouldn't think the tube would come from Indmar. It should be in the block from GM. There is nothing special about the oil pan or oil volumes, so a factory stock tube and dipstick should work whether it's Indmar or not. Or is the Mercruiser not GM?

Do you have confidence that when you do an oil drain it is all out? If so, you could completely drain it, change the filter, add 5.5 qt and run it for a minute or so to make sure the filter is full. After settling back to the pan, make not of "full" level on your dipstick.

Oh, and full oil level is below the bottom of the block. If its not, you'll get all kinds of issues with the rotating assembly whipping it to a froth. I put a small ring of RTV on the tube right where the ridge is that seats to the block before sticking it into the hole. May not be necessary, but won't hurt anything.

All good points as I'm not an engine pro. I'm not sure that I am getting all of the oil out as I've been told the current Mercruiser dipstick does not get as close to the bottom of the oil pan as the orginial dipstick. The same guy doing my engine work removed my oil pan drain hose so being able to remove almost all of the oil through the dipstick tube is also another main reason I'm switching back. I'm usually only able to get 4 qts back in the engine at oil change so there is definately a good bit not being removed at oil change. I'm more concerned about how to correctly install the new dipstick than anything at this point. Sounds like the old one should pull right out and freezing the new one might help a little. Will try the RTV as well. Thanks for your help!

It's been a while since I've done one but I don't remember them being all that sticky to get in or out. If you have troubles in addition to cooling the dipstick you could warm the engine up to operating temps.