Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

California Projected Water Lake Levels

Fman

Does anyone have a link to find out what the projected water levels will be on certain lakes in California? Curious about Shasta, Bullards Bar, McClure, Oroville and Folsom.

6" of rain total in nor cal, no rain in sight, starting to look ugly... We have a shasta trip planned in July, a little concerned about how low the lake is going to be.

Does anyone have a link to find out what the projected water levels will be on certain lakes in California? Curious about Shasta, Bullards Bar, McClure, Oroville and Folsom.

6" of rain total in nor cal, no rain in sight, starting to look ugly... We have a shasta trip planned in July, a little concerned about how low the lake is going to be.

This is what the lakes are at right now. Not sure about projected water levels.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/current/RES

For Shasta and Folsom here is the best prediction but being that it was prior to Jan.

My link

Justin, thanks for the link... although, it looks like Shasta is already 25 feet off in comparison to there charts, Shasta is currently at 1014.5, and there chart is showing Shasta at 1039 in February. Maybe they will have an updated copy released soon. I am assuming the lake will still be "good" the second week of July when we will be there. Whats your thoughts? I went in 2007 in July and the water was 85 feet down and was still nice to be on. Not sure at what level Shasta must get down to in order to think about bypassing for islands, hazards, etc...

Justin, thanks for the link... although, it looks like Shasta is already 25 feet off in comparison to there charts, Shasta is currently at 1014.5, and there chart is showing Shasta at 1039 in February. Maybe they will have an updated copy released soon. I am assuming the lake will still be "good" the second week of July when we will be there. Whats your thoughts? I went in 2007 in July and the water was 85 feet down and was still nice to be on. Not sure at what level Shasta must get down to in order to think about bypassing for islands, hazards, etc...

Depends upon which part of the lake you visit but the main body and larger arms will be fine this year. Launching can be fun as when the lake is low the ramps start getting far and few. Anything during a non-normal water year avoid the Pit imho unless you are very knowledgeable about it. I have to think we'll get some additional snow/rain....

Forecasts are just guesses. Just watch the local weather predictions(channel 10 or 13) and see how off they are. Or even Accuweather!! ha ha

Shasta is down approx 55 ft from the spillway. I have seen it rise 5+ feet after a big storm.

It may not be full this July, but it'll be ok. Most of the other large reserviors are doing ok, and we have another month or 2 for more.

I'd be more worried about how much gas is going to be this July!!

Shasta will be fine because of all the water they had last year. Their still like 50' over what they were in their last drought year (2008?). And they committed to release less water this year than they have in past years.

Been houseboating at Shasta for last 4 or 5 years and last year was really full (mid August). I dont think it'll be near as low as it was 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm ready to go to Shasta hopefully end of next month is this crazy weather continues!

Forecasts are just guesses. Just watch the local weather predictions(channel 10 or 13) and see how off they are. Or even Accuweather!! ha ha

Shasta is down approx 55 ft from the spillway. I have seen it rise 5+ feet after a big storm.

It may not be full this July, but it'll be ok. Most of the other large reserviors are doing ok, and we have another month or 2 for more.

I'd be more worried about how much gas is going to be this July!!

You are right about gas prices, viewed a program yesterday, there comment was not "if" gas prices are hitting $5 a gallon, but "when" this year.... they predicted $5/gallon by Memorial day weekend. That would put the fuel on the Marina at Shasta somewhere around $7-$7.50/gallon.... thats about a $300 fill up for me... ouch! guess I will be working more overtime this year to feed the fuel fund for the boat :biggrin:

Well, maybe this will take some boats off the lake at that price.... you definitely will have to pay to play this season.

Edited by Fman

You are right about gas prices, viewed a program yesterday, there comment was not "if" gas prices are hitting $5 a gallon, but "when" this year.... they predicted $5/gallon by Memorial day weekend. That would put the fuel on the Marina at Shasta somewhere around $7-$7.50/gallon.... thats about a $300 fill up for me... ouch! guess I will be working more overtime this year to feed the fuel fund for the boat :biggrin:

Well, maybe this will take some boats off the lake at that price.... you definitely will have to pay to play this season.

That never seems to work.... :(

We have seen much less traffic on Tulloch. And I am sure with prices even higher this year, it'll be even more so this year.

With $5/gal gas, you can probably buy a few 5 gal plastic jugs and pay for the jugs on the trip.

And I remember I cringed when gas first topped $1/gal......ugh

But I also remember gas was $.20/gal when I started driving!!!

We have seen much less traffic on Tulloch. And I am sure with prices even higher this year, it'll be even more so this year.

With $5/gal gas, you can probably buy a few 5 gal plastic jugs and pay for the jugs on the trip.

And I remember I cringed when gas first topped $1/gal......ugh

But I also remember gas was $.20/gal when I started driving!!!

LOL, I remember when I graduated from highschool gas was .89/gallon (leaded) in 1990, it has gone up 4 x's since then, it would seem unrealistic to think in 20 more years if gas does the same thing will be over $16/gallon! That would be quite painful, hopefully history will not repeat itself with this pattern.

That never seems to work.... :(

There will be a breakover point where fuel does become so expensive people will avoid renting houseboats, taking there own boat out as much, driving as much, etc.... $5/gallon might be reaching that point. There will definitely be less people out at $5/gallon ($7-$8/gallon on Marina) then at $3/gallon.

Projected water levels? Are you kidding? That would require accurately predicting the weather for the remainder of the winter. The weather forecasters can't even get the 10 day forecast correct most of the time! Regardless, there will be plenty of water to enjoy as long as they don't dump what's currently there. MC Clure has been holding steady at 65% of capacity for over a month and even if they dump a bunch for the farmers, the water level will still be better than some years I've seen. We just aren't going to be as spoiled as we were last year.

Projected water levels? Are you kidding? That would require accurately predicting the weather for the remainder of the winter. The weather forecasters can't even get the 10 day forecast correct most of the time! Regardless, there will be plenty of water to enjoy as long as they don't dump what's currently there. MC Clure has been holding steady at 65% of capacity for over a month and even if they dump a bunch for the farmers, the water level will still be better than some years I've seen. We just aren't going to be as spoiled as we were last year.

Dumping water at McClure in seemingly drought years is because of this mandate.

The WSRA restricts the activities of Federal Agencies

In reading the rules by which FERC operates, it is clear that FERC must assure not only that projects it considers are in compliance with environmental law, but FERC is also specifically prohibited from licensing, funding, planning or in any way assisting any project that is in conflict with the WSRA.

One of the positive aspects of dams is flood control and many dam operators are required by the Army Corps of Engineers (COE) to keep “conditional space” in their reservoirs to allow for late spring and summer snowmelt. The FERC license under which MID currently operates requires Lake McClure to be kept at approximately 65% of capacity during the late spring and summer months to allow for surges in snowmelt runoffs in the Sierras.

Chapter 6 of the Army Corps manual also incorporates the limitations contained in the WSRA:

Dumping water at McClure in seemingly drought years is because of this mandate.

The WSRA restricts the activities of Federal Agencies

In reading the rules by which FERC operates, it is clear that FERC must assure not only that projects it considers are in compliance with environmental law, but FERC is also specifically prohibited from licensing, funding, planning or in any way assisting any project that is in conflict with the WSRA.

One of the positive aspects of dams is flood control and many dam operators are required by the Army Corps of Engineers (COE) to keep “conditional space” in their reservoirs to allow for late spring and summer snowmelt. The FERC license under which MID currently operates requires Lake McClure to be kept at approximately 65% of capacity during the late spring and summer months to allow for surges in snowmelt runoffs in the Sierras.

Chapter 6 of the Army Corps manual also incorporates the limitations contained in the WSRA:

same with Folsom.

• 4 weeks later...
jkendallmsce

Shasta lake level up almost 30 feet in the last week!!

ANd more rain this week/weekend!!