Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Temp Running Hot?

Why would this be? I added fluid to the collect level. I believe this is the code it is throwing back at me after i did some research. I'd like to try to flush the system and see if it is running water through everything and isn't plug but it seems it would be hard to block it off where it only goes to the transmission since the system makes a big loop around everything seems like. The engine alarm it is giving is SPN 65701 CM 0...FMI 31 OC 127 if anybody knows anything or experience with that. Like i said in my other thread, when i got that, my trans seemed like it was slipping. But when i took it out today and added some fluid, i still got the alarm but no slippage but the trans did sound a little funny. The boat is a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with the monsoon engine

Why would this be? I added fluid to the collect level. I believe this is the code it is throwing back at me after i did some research. I'd like to try to flush the system and see if it is running water through everything and isn't plug but it seems it would be hard to block it off where it only goes to the transmission since the system makes a big loop around everything seems like. The engine alarm it is giving is SPN 65701 CM 0...FMI 31 OC 127 if anybody knows anything or experience with that. Like i said in my other thread, when i got that, my trans seemed like it was slipping. But when i took it out today and added some fluid, i still got the alarm but no slippage but the trans did sound a little funny. The boat is a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with the monsoon engine

The easiest and quickest check is to determine if you have some blockage in the transmission cooler. open up the raw water cooling line on the input side of your heat exchange and look for debris. If that doesn't do the trick when is the last time you changed your impeller? I would try that next.

-Dave

When you say impeller you mean on the cooling system right? And the heat exchangers is the 2 big pieces of metal on each side that looks like manifolds or is that manifolds with exchanger built in? Sorry kind of a noob here. I saw a water hose on the left side that looks like i could undo it and screw my hose pipe on the female end and maybe flush the system out. It looks like, from what i can tell, the water enters the v-drive first then goes to the water pump suction, and from there discharges through the block and transmission? Any help with that would expand my knowledge to.

Edited by Colby2ya

RAW water pump is on the end of the crank shaft and one side will have a hose connected to the bottom of your boat, the other hose should be connected to the transmission cooler which is a cylinder in-line with the water pipes and has 2 smaller pipes (they will contain oil) coming out the side that connect to the gearbox.

lol yea sorry i'm learning as i go, i should've known what the exchanger is sense i work in a plant. but yea i pulled the exchanger off and it was free of debris, all the tubes were clean. Even pressure checked the shell side to make sure i didn't have a tube leak. I'd like to hook up a pump of some sort and flush around the horn through the transmission to make sure none of those lines are plugged. If it isn't that, the only thing i could think of is an bad impeller. which they just did a impeller job last summer but i guess that doesn't mean i need another one. Are these hard to install? It doesn't look that hard to get to, seems like i just pop the cover off and replace the impeller throw on a new gasket and wah la!

lol yea sorry i'm learning as i go, i should've known what the exchanger is sense i work in a plant. but yea i pulled the exchanger off and it was free of debris, all the tubes were clean. Even pressure checked the shell side to make sure i didn't have a tube leak. I'd like to hook up a pump of some sort and flush around the horn through the transmission to make sure none of those lines are plugged. If it isn't that, the only thing i could think of is an bad impeller. which they just did a impeller job last summer but i guess that doesn't mean i need another one. Are these hard to install? It doesn't look that hard to get to, seems like i just pop the cover off and replace the impeller throw on a new gasket and wah la!

impeller replacement is one of the easy tasks except on that v-drive.

if "It doesn't look that hard to get to" you may have the right attitude to get the job done.

it's an easy access on my dd. i use a couple of paint can lid tools and it pops right out.

a little binding slime or soap, touch the key to spin it just a little bit (danger-moving pullys/belts).

there is a purpose built puller available.

good luck w it and welcome to tmc.

Not sure about the transmission lines question hopefully someone else can address that. The impeller can be difficult to get at on v-drives but it's really not all that bad. I have a very similar boat to you and while its a little uncomfortable to get at, it's really not too bad. If I can recall correctly from last year here were my helpful additions:

1) It helped me to remove the center pad from the boat so I had more room to stick my head back there. A couple of screws into the hull and a 2 gas struts which have quick remove clips (just slide a flat head screw driver under the collar and pull up and the strut will be able to disengage from it's pivot point)

2) Similar to tvano's suggestion, but I spray a LIBERAL amount of wd40 (any spray lube will work) into the impeller housing and then crank the motor a bit to spin the impeller and distribute the lube. I may opt to spray and spin again if the impeller gives me even the slightest amount of guff when I try to pull it out.

3) If you do step 2 right you should be able to easily grab ahold of the impeller with a needle nose pliers either by a fin of the impeller or grab the whole center spindle and pull it out. If you feel like you're pulling hard enough you might rip a fin, spray more lube and repeat step 2. I cannot emphasize how much spraying enough lubricant and cranking the motor to spin the impeller helps.

After that it's easy peasy. New impeller (i highly recommend a globe run-dry impeller, dgoose has a group buy on these right now in the group buy section for all members), new gasket, and lastly...

4) Be CAREFUL tightening the brass screws back in to reattach the plate to the impeller housing. I've heard with a little too much force you can break them off. Just don't over do it and take the wrench with you out on your first trip. Keep an eye on the housing when you fire it up on the lake and make sure you don't have any leaks. This is definitely a step you want a light touch for. Don't overdo it :)

Hope someone helps you with your question about needing teflon tape for the transmission lines. Cheers and welcome to the crew.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

How is the fluid from the trans moved to

The heat exchanger? Is it by an internal pump on the trans? Bc it makes no sense if my engine isnt getting warm it isn't the impeller.

How is the fluid from the trans moved to

The heat exchanger? Is it by an internal pump on the trans? Bc it makes no sense if my engine isnt getting warm it isn't the impeller.

Not necessarily. It all depends which heats up easier doesn't it? Assume your impeller is completely shot for my explanation. If your impeller is completely shot when you start up your boat, everything will run fine for a while because everything is cool enough. Now it depends which component is going to overheat first. Neither your engine or transmission are receiving any cooling. Have you been running your boat long enough that your engine would even have a *chance* to overheat?

That aside I'm not sure how the transmission fluid is pushed through that transmission cooler / heat exchanger. You did mention however that you noticed some slip and that you added some transmission fluid. Slip in my experience has been from too little trasnmission fluid. Before you added fluid, did you check to see what the level was at? Did it look frothy (indicative of water in fluid)? Or did you just add some without checking the current level?

My advice is to change your impeller regardless (i mentioned this in the other thread you started), and then closely monitor your transmission fluid levels. Take the boat out and warm it up. With the engine still running prepare to pull the dipstick. Have a friend turn off the engine and immediately pull the dipstick (you want to check the level before the fluid from the lines runs back into the reservoir so you get an accurate "run time" level. See where it's at and add if necessary.

Now that you filled it up and it's at the appropriate level see if you notice any slip. The next day you take it out, check the fluid again. Keep checking to keep an eye on and see if you're leaking any fluid. If you have a leak, you're looking at some transmission repair. If you *don't* have a leak that would be important to know.

Thanks for all the help. That's actually what we did the other day. When it was slipping level was low, then the next day we took it out and added the correct amount of level. Keep checkin it periodically throughout the ride and wasn't leaking anyway. Not until about the same time as the ride the day before I started getting alarms. (30-45 min into the ride). But it didn't slip any with the correct amount of fluid. But it did spew out some of the resouvior. But I imagine it did that bc the temp got some hot and built up pressure making It relieve out. Again we had the correct amount of fluid and checked it right. I been googling trying to find out how the trans work but no luck. Ima call a Malibu dealer and maybe they'll explain. I already ordered the impeller so ima change that regardless. But I dont think that's the trouble, I'm hoping I'm wrong and it is. But after 45 min of riding and no engine temp trouble, I'm having a hard time believing it. But thanks again everybody for the help, I'll keep you updated to future reference for everybody else.

SPN 65701 CM 0...FMI 31 is general warning 1. On newer boats they have general warning 2 for trans temp, but I believe on an 07 it was in the same circuit as the rest. Oil pressure/engine coolant/trans temp on older boats all would trigger a General Warning 1 code.

Peter

also forgot to add, when i'm screwing in my transmission lines back to the exchanger, should i use teflon tape around the threads or something else?

That depends on the type of thread. My gut tells me that you won't need any sealant because they are not pipe thread.

That is to say there is only one type of fitting that teflon is used on and thats a pipe fitting.

Hey I don't remember you mentioning what temp your boat engine does run at? It should run right at 160. This should give you an idea as well.

Just a stab in the dark here but does anyone know if a filter screen is used anywhere in the cooling circuit for that trans?

Anyway you could check that...

trans fluid lines on my 2004 dd are flared fittings.

light torque spec (i don't remember exact number but am thinking some where in the 18'lb range) or you will be buying new hoses.

iirc (i know a lot; just can't remember it) you don't use teflon on a flared fitting.

Impeller looks pretty good to me, but like i said, throw in the trash and put a new one in. Then decide if you want to change every 1 or every 2 years.

Have you been out multiple times since? How are your fluid levels? Do you notice that you have to constantly keep topping off once every couple times out? If you have a leak you have transmission work to be done.

Well i changed the impeller anyway, and kept that one as a back up. Been out multiple times, i get the alarm around the same time. Fluid levels are good, i don't have to add any. Brought the boat to the shop tuesday, waiting to hear what they found.

• 2 weeks later...

well got the boat back today from the dealer. I can't be 100% positive on what was wrong bc i couldn't understand my dealer b/c of his accent lol but here it goes. nothing was wrong with the transmission or the sensor. It had something to do with the ECU thinking the trans and engine were hot when it really wasn't. So they had to do soemthign with the ECU and that was it. I'm going take it out this weekend to make sure i don't get the alarm again, so i got my fingers crossed!

• 3 years later...

Coach Mike, did you ever solve the 65701 code mystery? I have the same code and the dealer has been working on a fix for over a week. They claim to be working with Indmar on a trial and error process, but no fixes yet.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...