Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Cover Collecting Water?

Colby2ya

Anybody else have that problem? I tried setting up the table in the middle to see if that would help, but it still would collect water after a rain. I have a 07 wakesetter VLX. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem with our 2007 Supreme and the table didnt work for me either because it pulled the cover up off the edges. I was kind of hoping that 2012 Malibu covers would be a little more qualitative and I wouldnt have that problem :(

For my stock tarp I added to poles to each side as well as made the center pole longer and it worked however not ideal. Nothing beats an Evolution cover!

I didn't have any poles for my 05 vlx with stock cover, bought this

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2190

and now no pooling whatsoever, just gotta make sure everything is really tight

Ideally i'd want an evolution cover but this works until that will fit into the budget cause i still get water in through the holes around the tower legs which drives me crazy!

Edited by t a

Ideally i'd want an evolution cover but this works until that will fit into the budget cause i still get water in through the holes around the tower legs which drives me crazy!

X2 on the pole, works like a champ.

Anybody else have that problem? I tried setting up the table in the middle to see if that would help, but it still would collect water after a rain. I have a 07 wakesetter VLX. Any suggestions?

Did your '07 cover not come with the three poles? My '06 did.

They snap into place and are adjustable in height. One fits in the middle of the bow seating area. One

snaps in at about the same distance back from the windshield as the driver seat. The third snaps in

maybe a foot or so in front of the middle rear seat. I also raise the ski pylon.

Over time, as the cover stretches a little, the poles can be easily lengthened a touch to take up any slack.

However, water will still pour in through the holes around the tower legs. So, even with poles, its not

ideal.

Colby,

Just insert your table pole and slide a 4" diameter pvc pipe over it. Cut it to whatever height you want and put a cap on the top of it. You're done in under $10. You can see my set up in the back ground.

coversfrontsupport.jpg

TA,

Could you add sleeves to your cover like this...?

Image021.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Our 23 cover would pool until the NoWake guys had me use the ski pole in addition to the 3 poles and pull the stern corners over the trailer strap D rings. Cover worked like great after that.

Pete,

lmk if there's something like that for the illusion tower...basically i just have big holes in the cover for the legs with about a 1" flap that isnt quite big enough to tie or strap up the tower leg in any way...

This leaves about a 1 1/2 x 8" hole for rainwater to just pour into, i put empty kitty litter boxes on the seats to catch as much rainwater as possible

Edited by t a

I often wonder if we are approaching the philosophy of tenting boat covers backwards.

Many years ago I had an older ski boat and simply stopped tenting the cover to force water to run off (it seemed like a losing battle). Then, I attached a drain hose to the two low points that went under the engine cover and into the bilge. It was MUCH easier to cover the boat and the only thing I had to worry about was battery drain from the bilge pump.

How much that run ya?

They are all compound angles so the shop needed the boat. It was a long time ago too but, I think it was in the ~$200 range?

worth it. I just put a piece of velcro strap around the top of the sleeves to make it really tight against the tower.

Did your '07 cover not come with the three poles? My '06 did.

They snap into place and are adjustable in height. One fits in the middle of the bow seating area. One

snaps in at about the same distance back from the windshield as the driver seat. The third snaps in

maybe a foot or so in front of the middle rear seat. I also raise the ski pylon.

Over time, as the cover stretches a little, the poles can be easily lengthened a touch to take up any slack.

However, water will still pour in through the holes around the tower legs. So, even with poles, its not

ideal.

i'm an idiot, i'm not seeing where these snap into. Btw i only got 2 poles, the front isn't collecting any water so i'll just skip out on that one

I went to my canvas guy and had him add an adjustable strap to the spot where the pole would normall go and the strap attaches to the tower ball where your wakeboard rope goes to, I adjust the buckle to the height I want and it cost me 40.00 dollars materials and labor.

I forgot its a lot faster to put the cover on with no poles involved, once you get the height where you want it , you just pull the cover while walking to the back , fasten to the tower and and finsh covering.

i'm an idiot, i'm not seeing where these snap into. Btw i only got 2 poles, the front isn't collecting any water so i'll just skip out on that one

I dunno then. On mine, the female part of the snaps are pretty obvious on the underside of the cover, in the midline, with a reinforcement patch

sewn in.

if you can't upgrade to an evolution cover, then you need to have your current cover modified at the back to take advantage of the reason the evolution covers work so well:

Multiple tie down straps at the back which pull the cover tight from the windshield to the transom. No more pooling water.

DSCN0725.JPG

another option:

a lot of the factory covers have a vent sewn in the middle of the cover behind the windshield. Tie a piece of rope to that vent and put a loop (at the right length) in the other end and then just hang the loop on the wakeboard swivel on the tower.

This is the easiest way of holding up the cover, no crawling underneath to put poles in, just hang the rope from the tower as you are unrolling it. If you don't have a vent in the right location, get a loop sewn into the cover that you can tie a piece of rope to.

Gotta love the Evolution/Rankin covers for this reason. The only pooling I've ever had was in either snow or torrential rain. I stood an inner tube up on edge underneath the cover & it wouldn't allow any pooling at all.

I saw a cover recently that had a pair of D rings sewn into the top.... one in the bow, one in the middle of the rear passenger area. The guy had a piece of rope with a carabiner on either end. He'd install the cover over the bow, hook the first carabiner the D ring on the cover in the bow area, pull the cover over the windshield, throw the rope up over the tower, hook the second carabiner to the rear D ring, then pull the cover over the transom. It tented instantly & was not going to allow any pooling at all. Seemed like a way better system than using poles. :rockon:

Gotta love the Evolution/Rankin covers for this reason. The only pooling I've ever had was in either snow or torrential rain. I stood an inner tube up on edge underneath the cover & it wouldn't allow any pooling at all.

I saw a cover recently that had a pair of D rings sewn into the top.... one in the bow, one in the middle of the rear passenger area. The guy had a piece of rope with a carabiner on either end. He'd install the cover over the bow, hook the first carabiner the D ring on the cover in the bow area, pull the cover over the windshield, throw the rope up over the tower, hook the second carabiner to the rear D ring, then pull the cover over the transom. It tented instantly & was not going to allow any pooling at all. Seemed like a way better system than using poles. :rockon:

I some how managed to loose 2 of my cover poles last summer and this seems like a great idea! Sure beats crawling under the cover and setting up the poles. Can you post the link to the pic if there is one?

Edited by BlitzedVLX

How much Longer does it take to cover with this system?

once you get the straps adjusted to the right length it'll usually take me about 1 min or so to set up straps/pole, then pull the cover over. It took me about 20 min the first time to adjust it where i wanted the pole, now all the straps are at the right length so just hook it up and go, so its about an extra minute or two. If you have someone helping probably 30 seconds...

I never have to crawl under the cover...

Edited by t a

the stock malibu cover is a joke, I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a dust cover. I placed an order for an Evolution cover, but after 2 months of waiting we finally cancelled the order.

I would recommend you look for a local upholstery shop to make you one. Then, you can pick your colors and if anything is wrong you can get it fixed locally.

Just my .02