Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Vlx Diamond Hull?

groovymalibu

Can someone tell me if this is the diamond hull? 2007 VLX.

I'm looking at buying this boat tomorrow There's only 25 hours on the boat, guy never used it as his kids never got into it. And it's the hammerhead 400 hp engine! I've been looking for the right VTX diamond hull for months now, but haven't been lucky enough to find the right one.

If this is the diamond hull, is the slalom wake pretty good at 34-36mph for at most 32 off or should I keep looking for the VTX diamond hull?

Thanks!

mmmm... I guess no one can tell if it's a diamond hull or not as I can't see where I can attach a photo to this post. just links. HELP! :biggrin:

Edited by groovymalibu

Can someone tell me if this is the diamond hull? 2007 VLX.

I'm looking at buying this boat dirt cheap tomorrow and was thinking I would just flip it because I got such a good deal on it, but if it's the diamond hull, I may keep it. There's only 25 hours on the boat, guy never used it as his kids never got into it. And it's the hammerhead 400 hp engine! I've been looking for the right VTX diamond hull for months now, but haven't been lucky enough to find the right one.

If this is the diamond hull, is the slalom wake pretty good at 34-36mph for at most 32 off or should I flip and keep looking for the VTX diamond hull?

Thanks!

mmmm... I guess no one can tell if it's a diamond hull or not as I can't see where I can attach a photo to this post. just links. HELP! :biggrin:

Open up a photobucket account and upload the photo. Copy the IMG code and post it. If you don't want to do that email me the picture and I can upload it for you. [email protected]

No problem!

IMGP0156.jpg

That looks like the diamond hull to me.

That's the hull that I slalom behind (2006 21 LSV), and its perfectly fine for me, but I'm just

a recreational slalom skier and don't have ready access to a course. I'm pretty sure, though,

that it's not going to give you near as nice a wake as that behind a lighter, narrower, VTX on

the cut diamond.

I guess it depends on how serious you are about your skiing. If you want to run the course,

you're probably not going to be happy with it.

Edit: Looks like the beam on those boats is the same and weight is only 200 lbs. difference!

I still don't expect it to compare well to the VTX, but it may depend on what boat you are used to

skiing behind. If you're used to a DD, you'll likely not be happy. If you're used to skiing behind

an I/O or outboard, you might be fairly pleased.

It would be best if you could ski behind it first and decide for yourself.

Edited by srab

doesn't look like a diamond to me, I have the wake hull and it pretty much looks the same, not a good angle on the pic. I think the cam angle is making a wake look like a diamond hull.

I have a 93 Ski Nautique that I ski behind currently in open water. For the course I hit the ski club, where there is only one new DD boat on the lake and perfectly sheltered!

Everyone else i know boards and wants to surf, so that's the reason for the move to a cross over Vdrive.

CJAY - sure you don't want to sell now?? :)

From everything I've read about the VLX, I guess the VTX diamond is the better option. Or if I can get my hands on an XTI, I guess. It's always better to get information from people who've actually skied behind the boat before though.

Thanks guys!

I have a 93 Ski Nautique that I ski behind currently in open water. For the course I hit the ski club, where there is only one new DD boat on the lake and perfectly sheltered!

Everyone else i know boards and wants to surf, so that's the reason for the move to a cross over Vdrive.

CJAY - sure you don't want to sell now?? :)

From everything I've read about the VLX, I guess the VTX diamond is the better option. Or if I can get my hands on an XTI, I guess. It's always better to get information from people who've actually skied behind the boat before though.

Thanks guys!

I want to sell now, because I'm trying to pick up a MXZ, but I need to put together some more to put down to get the options I want, so I'm selling for nex year. Our VTX is awesome wiht just about any activity. The wakeboard wake is solid and poppy with some extra weight added, the surf wake is also awesome wiht some added weight, and the ski wake is super flat above 30 mph

CJAY - sure you don't want to sell now?? clip_image001.gif

Thanks guys!

Coming from your SN the vdrive will not have the same performance. The VTX on a diamond hull or the 21 LSV will have the best slalom wake behind a vdrive as you can get, but there is a reason for the Response it skis so much better. You won’t be happy imho after coming from a DD slaloming behind a VLX even w/ a diamond hull, and yes the pic above is the diamond hull. You can’t get a world class slalom wake from a 3,6000lbs + boat. For surfing w/ a good slalom wake the VTX or 21 LSV is what I’d search for. You can’t get world class with those two divergent activities but the VTX will be the best option. The XTI isn’t on the wake hull and between the VTX on the diamond vs the XTI….I’d bet most would pic the VTX. The XTI imho isn’t good at anything hence why it’s no longer produced. No if you have access to a DD to run the course, then you options are wide open and a VLX is certainly something to consider.

If youre coming from a direct drive and want what you would consider a "decent" slalom wake, I dont think it would matter if a vlx would have a wake hull or diamond hull. I had a direct drive 21' tige and went to a 21.5' vdrive supra which had a more crossover focus and it was a night and day difference.

I was talking to a person who bought a 210 nautique vdrive (old style hull) and had a skiing background but is in his 50s now and is pretty recreational. He's selling it because it just isnt adequate for a good rec ski wake that he thinks is decent. From what I've read the nautique 210 (older version) and mastercraft xstar(01,02,03)x2(04,05)x1(06+) are the known likely best crossover boats with decent ski wakes. Thats because these hulls were older - they were original ski boat hulls, which just so happened to be good wakeboard wakes.

Cheers,

Edited by OneMoreSet

If youre coming from a direct drive and want what you would consider a "decent" slalom wake, I dont think it would matter if a vlx would have a wake hull or diamond hull. I had a direct drive 21' tige and went to a 21.5' vdrive supra which had a more crossover focus and it was a night and day difference.

I was talking to a person who bought a 210 nautique vdrive (old style hull) and had a skiing background but is in his 50s now and is pretty recreational. He's selling it because it just isnt adequate for a good rec ski wake that he thinks is decent. From what I've read the nautique 210 (older version) and mastercraft xstar(01,02,03)x2(04,05)x1(06+) are the known likely best crossover boats with decent ski wakes. Thats because these hulls were older - they were original ski boat hulls, which just so happened to be good wakeboard wakes.

Cheers,

Hate to call out a new poster but this is just not correct.

First, there is a very big difference in the ski wake of non-diamond and diamond vdrives, especially in this size range. Previous owner of both.

Second, an "older version" 210 skis nowhere near as good as a diamond hulled VLX, not to mention VTX. Best friend made that precise move to the diamond VLX for that exact reason. Furthermore, any diamond-hulled vdrive is the same hull design as the response still made. Hence, there is no advantage to the "old" hulls of MC and especially nautique over the diamonds.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Coming from your SN the vdrive will not have the same performance. The VTX on a diamond hull or the 21 LSV will have the best slalom wake behind a vdrive as you can get, but there is a reason for the Response it skis so much better. You wont be happy imho after coming from a DD slaloming behind a VLX even w/ a diamond hull, and yes the pic above is the diamond hull. You cant get a world class slalom wake from a 3,6000lbs + boat. For surfing w/ a good slalom wake the VTX or 21 LSV is what Id search for. You cant get world class with those two divergent activities but the VTX will be the best option. The XTI isnt on the wake hull and between the VTX on the diamond vs the XTI….Id bet most would pic the VTX. The XTI imho isnt good at anything hence why its no longer produced. No if you have access to a DD to run the course, then you options are wide open and a VLX is certainly something to consider.

I wouldn't exactly call a 1993 SN a world class wake either, tho.

To OP, a lot depends on your expectations, line length and speed. I think you'd be quite pleased at 34/22. Beyond that, SN will have the edge in size but the diamond vdrive wakes are very clean and soft, just larger then a DD. I don't now since I have a repsonse but used to ski a 2004 sunscape (diamond hull) in the course fairly regularly. Might not be breaking any records but I wouldn't have passed up a set behind it either.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Hate to call out a new poster but this is just not correct.

First, there is a very big difference in the ski wake of non-diamond and diamond vdrives, especially in this size range. Previous owner of both.

Second, an "older version" 210 skis nowhere near as good as a diamond hulled VLX, not to mention VTX. Best friend made that precise move to the diamond VLX for that exact reason. Furthermore, any diamond-hulled vdrive is the same hull design as the response still made. Hence, there is no advantage to the "old" hulls of MC and especially nautique over the diamonds.

Just to clarify, there are two different diamond hulls the response and RLX are the sv23 diamond and the vdrive hulls use the cut diamond hull.

Well, the boat is a wake hull but I had to buy it anyway because he only wanted 35k for it.Turns out it has 10.3 hours on it and is loaded! The guy hasn't had it in the water in almost two years and hardly used it before that, so just wanted to get rid of it. So I had to snap this boat up! Needs a good cleaning though.

Also the power wedge goes down, but doesn't come up. Is there a trick to that?

I imagine this slalom wake on this thing will be pretty harsh, so may just flip for some extra cash and find the boat that works for me.

Well, the boat is a wake hull but I had to buy it anyway because he only wanted 35k for it.Turns out it has 10.3 hours on it and is loaded! The guy hasn't had it in the water in almost two years and hardly used it before that, so just wanted to get rid of it. So I had to snap this boat up! Needs a good cleaning though.

Also the power wedge goes down, but doesn't come up. Is there a trick to that?

I imagine this slalom wake on this thing will be pretty harsh, so may just flip for some extra cash and find the boat that works for me.

Yep, boat needs to be moving forward for it to come up.

paddle wheel for speed indication? I guess it just needs to be spinning on land?

You can take an air hose to get the wheel spinning and then just have someone in the drivers seat to activate the up switch.