Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New battery

Thanks...duh, I never thought about the charger. So, the issue is the charge voltage on a "standard" charger would be too high?

I was intending to just add 1 D34M now and replace the other one when it dies a natural death.

I gotta ditto Waterbuggy on the West Marine web site. It has all the info you will ever need to make the best choice for a battery, charging and wiring. Its worth a look.

Thanks...duh, I never thought about the charger.  So, the issue is the charge voltage on a "standard" charger would be too high? 

I was intending to just add 1 D34M now and replace the other one when it dies a natural death.

Here's the technical jargon fromm them. I know from the RV sites I hang out on that most home chargers charge at to high a voltage and cook the Optima's.

In regards to letting the old battery die a natural death. Just remember your new battery will only be as strong as the older, weaker one. If you just replaced the old one, no big deal. If it's 3 years old you might consider replacing it.

Battery charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:

14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 2 amp constant current for 1 hour for D34M and 3 amp constant current for 1 hour for D31M.

Rapid Recharge:

Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).

Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <125°F (51.7°C).

Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:

13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

All limits must be strictly adhered to.

Get yourself a 3 stage charger that is less than 10 amps. 1st stage is bulk charge to bring battery up to around 80%. 2nd stage slows the current to top off and fully charge battery. 3rd maintains battery full charge.

I use a Guest 2606 which is a 6 amp 3 stage charger.