Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Microphone To System

cstk421

So I want to add the mic function to my system that the WS-420 affords you. I have the Clarion EQD746 and a Sony DSX-S300 BTX. Source is an iPhone. The wiring is the part I'm confused about. The eq is going to output to my 3 amp's, the HU is currently running to the EQ. So if I add the bazooka or similar would the wiring be like below ?

HU 1 pair RCA OUT ------> Bazooka input RCA ------> Bazooka 1 pair RCA out -------> EQ746 (clarion) RCA INPUT

Anyone know of a different way to do the same thing without adding a device like this ? I assume the purpose for this unit is b/c in order for the mic to take over the music it would have to run through the controller. Any ideas would be great. I scanned and searched the forum with no real solutions to this except for buying the WS420 which i don't need.

http://www.bazooka.c...PA-Mixer-(Black)-P129

To add more confusion here is the install sheet showing all the inputs and outputs for this device.

http://www.bazooka.com/pdf/current/MPA1000_rev1_web.pdf

Thanks,

Claudio

Edited by cstk421

The way you propose, it would work differently that the WS420. The WS420 only interrupts the signal to the tower speakers with the mic. The rest of the speakers (cabin speakers and sub) play on as normal. So if you wanted the bazooka setup to work similarly, you'd put it inbetween your EQ and your tower amp. I'm not sure that's a totally desirable scenario from a pre-amp voltage standpoint (I'd have to guess that the bazooka has a lower preamp voltage output than the EQS746), but that's how you'd do it.

I think it would work wiring it up the way you propose, but it could have the effect of you yelling at yourself, or more likely getting a lot of feedback, if the cabin speakers are turned up. You could probably fix that issue, though, by making sure you always fade to the towers when you use the mic.

Your right LOL my wife and I are dying laughing a the "yelling at yourself" part. I would definitely have it wired between my eq and towers. Having a hard time finding the pre-amp voltage on this thing. Its unreal how little options there are out there for this application. Thanks for the reply though good info.

Claudio

The way you propose, it would work differently that the WS420. The WS420 only interrupts the signal to the tower speakers with the mic. The rest of the speakers (cabin speakers and sub) play on as normal. So if you wanted the bazooka setup to work similarly, you'd put it inbetween your EQ and your tower amp. I'm not sure that's a totally desirable scenario from a pre-amp voltage standpoint (I'd have to guess that the bazooka has a lower preamp voltage output than the EQS746), but that's how you'd do it.

I think it would work wiring it up the way you propose, but it could have the effect of you yelling at yourself, or more likely getting a lot of feedback, if the cabin speakers are turned up. You could probably fix that issue, though, by making sure you always fade to the towers when you use the mic.

Is it acceptable to have either or? Meaning when you want to talk to those behind the boat you say hold a button and talk and then release and the music plays?

Reason I ask is that is rather jerry-riggable and would seem to fit the need better, assuming that is I am guessing why you want a mic in the first place.

One other question since you haven't responded yet, do you have a mic? Have one picked out?

Reason I ask is the switching portion is easy if the above is acceptable, but getting a microphone that rejects the wind noise and such a bit more difficult. Also, boosting the signal appropriately to "match" the required gain of your amps is rather critical.

Sorry for the late response. I don't need the "blending" feature like the ws420 has that allows talking during music play. The only problem with systems that cut off music and allow you to talk on the push button system is when you let go the volume is at 70-85% or whatever loud level and could damage the speakers IMHO. I don't have a specific mic selected but the only 2 i can even find aside from the ws420 are the bazooka and another one. What did you have in mind ?

Thanks,

Claudio

The only problem with systems that cut off music and allow you to talk on the push button system is when you let go the volume is at 70-85% or whatever loud level and could damage the speakers IMHO.

What do you mean by that?

With a simple switch you could have it so that you will bypass the normal input into your amplifier and it would switch off your music on the towers, let you speak and when you let up would resume with exactly the same level that was occuring before you hit the switch.

In the scenario I am imagining you would have only one volume for the mic (or have to have a separate pre-amp for adjusting it) and a switch. Pre-amps can be had rather cheap in particular if you don't need regular adjustment, but generically speaking I'd bet having a single volume for the mic would be acceptable.

ie, set pre-amp to one level, amp gain is at one level, output never changes. If you need it to change then you need a pre-amp that will allow this and that will add money, but considering is my guess is you want to bark instructions at the rider behind your boat you shouldn't need that.

As for mics, I'd personally try some super cheap one first. I haven't ever seen a system that does any of this, but if I did it would surely redneck it. Speaking of rednecking it, I am off to the Northwoods to put a few hundred miles on the snowmobile so won't see this until Tuesday or so of next week.

I realize i'm late on this, but just for the record I installed the bazooka last summer and had nothing but issues with it. It seemed after you keyed the mic the tower speaker volume would never come back and the buttons on the mic didnt work properly. After messing with it on several outings, I pulled it out.

I would stay away from the bazooka, to me it was junk.