Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fluid Motion Handle Guard

thealy

Has anyone used the Fluid Motion Handle Guard or similar? I understand these may apply more for skiers at 35' off and shorter because the increased angle to the boat causes the rope to move away from the skier slower during a fall than at longer lengths, but better to be safe than sorry right? I wonder if there is any value to use these with kids and/or beginner skiers? On first thought I would assume there is little to no risk of a beginning skier to get their head in front of the rope, however with that said, as a driver, I know that I have on occasion pulled back on the throttle when I know a skier is falling prior to them actually falling which could in theory cause the skier to get ahead of the handle.

Fluid Motion

I'm a novice by comparison to anyone close to 35 off but I plan on putting a guard on handles from this season out. I've heard a couple bad stories already, and even if they're super rare the guard is cheap insurance. I don't have personal experience with the FM guard but have seen some positive reviews on various slalom forums.

I was thinking of spending a bit of time making one out of plastic and seeing how that worked out before buying one.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/4398/handle-guard-saved-my-life

• Like 1

Haven't used it yet, but I just got one the other day (after reading the article on BallofSpray). Most indications are that you don't even notice it after a short period. Pretty simple device, and as you say...cheap insurance. The "arm thru handle' or (worse) 'head through handle' incidents might not be commonplace, but the results are devastating and/or fatal.

Has anyone used the Fluid Motion Handle Guard or similar? I understand these may apply more for skiers at 35' off and shorter because the increased angle to the boat causes the rope to move away from the skier slower during a fall than at longer lengths, but better to be safe than sorry right? I wonder if there is any value to use these with kids and/or beginner skiers? On first thought I would assume there is little to no risk of a beginning skier to get their head in front of the rope, however with that said, as a driver, I know that I have on occasion pulled back on the throttle when I know a skier is falling prior to them actually falling which could in theory cause the skier to get ahead of the handle.

Fluid Motion

I've had handle guards from Arm-Guard on my ski and wake handles for two seasons. I was originally going to get them just for the kids' handles, but ended up getting them for both kids and adult handles. I'm not a 35 off skier, but I've been happy with them. I've not had a problem and they didn't take long to get used to. I look at them as piece of mind and cheap insurance.

After reading a story in Waterskiing Mag a couple of years ago I started making them for the kids.Went to tap plastics and got some scrap pieces to play with. The one that works the best is very flexible. On the cable ties we melt the end as they will scratch. Draging them behind the boat tears them up but that is just at tournaments.post-7402-0-33905400-1329274435_thumb.jp

I wasn't very motivated to use one when my ski partner became committed to using them. I am now in his camp. I'm also not a 35 off skier, but use one. Like everything in slalom, you will think about it for the first couple of uses. After that, you'll never think about it again. It doesn't get in the way and you don't hit it with your fingers. Arrogance issues with the sellers have me reluctant to buy Arm guards from Thomas Wayne or FM, but homemade and fabric ones from US Gear also seem to have slight issues. I don't know what I'm going to do when my current guard finally gives up, but I will be moving it to my new handle if that tells you anything. My 2 cents.

BTW, someone that we ski with (a good 22off/28off skier) put her arm through the handle last year and is also now sold on using a handle guard. She got lucky. The injury only cost her three weeks.

knowing absolutely nothing about the sport; im confused, how does your arm get caught in the handle?

Dig the tip in turn, come out the front at wakes, etc.

Bigger issue is heads going in handle. Several fatalities from that and some well-known very good skiers. Nicole Arthur's husband had arm go through handle, looks very gnarly now. Thought was going to lose his arm.

knowing absolutely nothing about the sport; im confused, how does your arm get caught in the handle?

attached is an x-ray of the person who went on to design and market the arm-guard.

As mentioned "head thru handle" incidents more likely fatal.

While their speeds are generally slower, I am surprised there are more incidents w/ boarders given the nature of the tricks. Maybe there are?

post-5162-0-62884700-1329340567_thumb.jp

attached is an x-ray of the person who went on to design and market the arm-guard.

As mentioned "head thru handle" incidents more likely fatal.

While their speeds are generally slower, I am surprised there are more incidents w/ boarders given the nature of the tricks. Maybe there are?

oh wow. i've never even thought this was possible. usually when i wipe out my handle gets launched. i still can't figure out how my arm would slip into it (not doubting you guys... just hard to envision)

I have an FM that I recently bought for my new handle. It will need major mod's to fit right, but will work. I hear the Arm Guard is much better.

Falling thru the bridal is sometimes fatal or causes catastrophic injury, It's so scary I really dont like thinking about it.

As in many ski falls, it can happen in the blink of an eye to anyone at any speed. I'm going to use mine this year for sure,

Steve B.