Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Wakesetter Vlx Opinions

Asmodeus2112

I talked to the guy with the green and white one. I think it has 700ish hours and no wedge if I remember correctly. still, it is priced well.

The VLK is my #1 at the moment. I'm waiting for the owner to send me some pics of the brake actuator on trailer so I can assess how much it will cost to get the brakes working. 258 hours is believable but low. Not a bad thing though.

The VLK is my #1 at the moment. I'm waiting for the owner to send me some pics of the brake actuator on trailer so I can assess how much it will cost to get the brakes working. 258 hours is believable but low. Not a bad thing though.

lol... no i was just joking :)

i 100% agree with you on this one. i converted my sunpad to a 3 piece design. SOO much better and more convenient

i removed the table and added a seat in its place

i removed the ski pylon completely

removed the rotary switches for a custom set up

luckily i didnt have wood... but i have cheap carbon fiber. that will be gone this year.

other then that. the boat is great until i can afford the newer hull, i'm perfectly happy. the wake (with ballast) is great!

Sorry to Hi-Jack.

Scott I was wondering how you put the seat where the table used to be. I have a 01 VLX and wish my seating wrapped until the driver seat. That, and I wish I had an onboard cooler. Is there something that the sell to fill in that spot or did you just make something?

Sorry to Hi-Jack.

Scott I was wondering how you put the seat where the table used to be. I have a 01 VLX and wish my seating wrapped until the driver seat. That, and I wish I had an onboard cooler. Is there something that the sell to fill in that spot or did you just make something?

you will need 1 or 2 cushion made and made a square box for it to sit on. you could just but up one cushion to the existing seat or you can mirror the left side cushion and have it wrap nicely.

It is a great mod. it added more storage and i love the extra room.

you will need 1 or 2 cushion made and made a square box for it to sit on. you could just but up one cushion to the existing seat or you can mirror the left side cushion and have it wrap nicely.

It is a great mod. it added more storage and i love the extra room.

Do you have a picture by any chance?

Do you have a picture by any chance?

here is the new 3piece sunpad, modified backrest for a more updated look and the new mirrored piece (frame left)

469.jpg

the new mirrored piece:

469.jpg

test fitting before i sealed the wood with truckliner:

469.jpg

i dont have a picture of the base carpeted. i got something pretty close at my local vinyl shop. it's not 100% perfect but it's barely noticeable. If i were to do it again, i'd probably make it a bit shorter. right now the captains chair pushes against it at it's furthest point back. I would have liked to hinge it from the front, but i'll live with jsut having it being removable

the open area behind it is going to be the new location for my subwoofer. when i bought the boat it had 3 12's in a box under the table. I'm going to go with just a single 10 or 12. mounted vertically and hidden by grill cloth

Edited by scott_fx

Wow, nice job scott_fx. :rockon:

thanks. the one thing i've realized about boating is that it's very easy to modify and/or upgrade. there aren't hundreds of german engineers trying to make the ultimate race car or pumping out suv's in mass. most of the stuff is very straight forward and based up a lot of stuff that is commonly used and reused. (the wake hull was still being used in the ride's until pretty recently)

I'd make sure the hull is solid, the engine is smooth and the price is right. the rest you can add/change further down the road. Perfect pass, ballasts, stereo, wedge, tower etc..

I talked to the guy with the green and white one. I think it has 700ish hours and no wedge if I remember correctly. still, it is priced well.

If it was a clean boat I would be all over that one.

If it was a clean boat I would be all over that one.

Yeah, that boat looks like it's been kept well. I'm going to check out the VLK first though. 1/3 of the hours, two years newer. Spit rear deck and no table. Hard to tell what it's like from a distance because the owner doesn't seem to have/use compters so he has only texted low res phone pics...

Yeah, that boat looks like it's been kept well. I'm going to check out the VLK first though. 1/3 of the hours, two years newer. Spit rear deck and no table. Hard to tell what it's like from a distance because the owner doesn't seem to have/use compters so he has only texted low res phone pics...

I just don't know if I could rock purple and frankly 700 hours is nothing but that is just me. Sounds like you have a good plan though. Good luck!

I think the purple one would look pretty sweet if you updated the graphics on the side. And you can probably beat the owner up over the color a bit.

If you want to surf, you really really really need a wedge on that hull. We could build a great looking wave on our vride with no wedge, but it had no push. For wakeboarding I really didn't like the wedge because it makes the wake too lippy. Personal preference and I know some people like that. As Pete mentions, the wedge doesn't really make the wake BIG like weight will. And that boat is small by today's standards, so it doesn't take too much weight to really change the size of the wake for the bigger. Getting an extra couple of people in the boat makes all the difference.

That said.... perfect pass, cover, bimini, wedge, well maintained trailer, gorilla tracking fins (2004?).... really make a 2004 vlx or 2005 vride worth it. Once you add all of that stuff to an older boat, you are still going to have an older boat that isn't as desirable (from a resale perspective) as a newer one.

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/2846156202.html

thanks. the one thing i've realized about boating is that it's very easy to modify and/or upgrade. there aren't hundreds of german engineers trying to make the ultimate race car or pumping out suv's in mass. most of the stuff is very straight forward and based up a lot of stuff that is commonly used and reused. (the wake hull was still being used in the ride's until pretty recently)

I'd make sure the hull is solid, the engine is smooth and the price is right. the rest you can add/change further down the road. Perfect pass, ballasts, stereo, wedge, tower etc..

True that.

I think the purple one would look pretty sweet if you updated the graphics on the side. And you can probably beat the owner up over the color a bit.

If you want to surf, you really really really need a wedge on that hull. We could build a great looking wave on our vride with no wedge, but it had no push. For wakeboarding I really didn't like the wedge because it makes the wake too lippy. Personal preference and I know some people like that. As Pete mentions, the wedge doesn't really make the wake BIG like weight will. And that boat is small by today's standards, so it doesn't take too much weight to really change the size of the wake for the bigger. Getting an extra couple of people in the boat makes all the difference.

That said.... perfect pass, cover, bimini, wedge, well maintained trailer, gorilla tracking fins (2004?).... really make a 2004 vlx or 2005 vride worth it. Once you add all of that stuff to an older boat, you are still going to have an older boat that isn't as desirable (from a resale perspective) as a newer one.

Thats too nice of a boat for 26k. Also has AZ reg. Looks like a scam to me, but there is a phone #...

Maybe that is for real, number is for Idaho. Most V-Rides are >$35K thoough, someone will jump on this I'm sure.

I'm not seeing any VLX's that are in my range that won't need some money put into them. There is a really nice SSLXi that is looking pretty attractive though. I liked my Sunsetter LX, so the extra storage and sundeck are attractive... It's early and I should be patient, but don't want to pass up an opportunity either.

Have any of you weighed your VLX + Tandem? VLX is 2800, tandem about 1300? With gas prices I'm thinking it might be smarter to get a response to drag to WI and back.

That sounds about right.

I figure with boat, trailer, gas, beer, tools, toys, I'm pulling about 5K.

Since we're going to WI we won't be packing beer, so I can figure about 4.2K, right? ;)

Edited by Asmodeus2112
  • 8 months later...

here is the new 3piece sunpad, modified backrest for a more updated look and the new mirrored piece (frame left)

469.jpg

the new mirrored piece:

469.jpg

test fitting before i sealed the wood with truckliner:

469.jpg

i dont have a picture of the base carpeted. i got something pretty close at my local vinyl shop. it's not 100% perfect but it's barely noticeable. If i were to do it again, i'd probably make it a bit shorter. right now the captains chair pushes against it at it's furthest point back. I would have liked to hinge it from the front, but i'll live with jsut having it being removable

the open area behind it is going to be the new location for my subwoofer. when i bought the boat it had 3 12's in a box under the table. I'm going to go with just a single 10 or 12. mounted vertically and hidden by grill cloth

Is there any way you could send me/post more details about this modification? I am definately adding this seat to my '99 VLX instead of the table.

Thanks

Is there any way you could send me/post more details about this modification? I am definately adding this seat to my '99 VLX instead of the table.

Thanks

I'm also interested. I plan on replacing a single skin this winter - why not order a few more while I'm at it?