Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Wakesetter Vlx Opinions

Asmodeus2112

I sold my 2001 Sunsetter LX, and am eyeing a 99 Wakesetter VLX. Any advice regarding things to look extra hard at when buying? I've never owned a V-drive, so would appreciate some guidance regarding them and VLX's in general. :)

I had a 2000 VLX and it was a great boat. Not great for slalom though which is why I got back into a direct drive. The 1999 model still had the one piece rear hatch and the built in table if I remember correctly but other than that it was pretty much the same as I had.

Same hull as your LX. Switch gear will be the older style knobs as that wasn't updated until 2001. Otherwise probably not a whole lot of different things to look for than what you would have looked for on your LX.

Same hull as your LX. Switch gear will be the older style knobs as that wasn't updated until 2001. Otherwise probably not a whole lot of different things to look for than what you would have looked for on your LX.

Dude, any pics of your VLX LS1?

Dude, any pics of your VLX LS1?

Sure:

img0891w.jpg

dsc02905n.jpg

dsc02908rt.jpg

dsc02912u.jpg

dsc03043rp.jpg

img0897t.jpg

Lots of things I still want to do to this boat this year and next. Tower speakers, another amp, better sub, Perfect Pass, upgrade the ballast tanks and plumb them in, 18" trailer wheels, pull the cheapy Malibu sticker off for something better, and some other odds and ends. We bought her last summer and I've already done a few upgrades to it (bimini, Alpine head unit and transom remote, replaced the rear speakers with Polks, front ballast bag, nice Malibu guide pads, and a bunch of maintenance items and repairs to get her in top running condition).

Edited by Nitrousbird

My '98 VLX is essentially the same as the '99. When I bought it in '05, it was bone stock.

I've done the following:

- Perfect Pass

-Titan Series III tower with bimini and racks

-Custom 4-bag integrated ballast

-Upgraded stereo

-Manual wedge and modified teak deck with access hatch

-Chrome turn down exhaust tips

-Stripped original decals; added '05 Wakesetter decal package

I really like mine, but I can outline some 'quirks' that I don't like so much:

1. The one piece back hatch like my '98 with an electric actuator. The actuator is slow and noisy; when I get some free time, I am going to convert it to manual.

2. The table is 98-99 only and is 'bolt-in' only. It is also right where everyone wants to step when they get in the boat.

3. Ski pylon is not retractable (I've booted it a couple times).

4. No provision for bow filler cushion.

5. Rotary instead of rocker switches (this is a preference only).

6. Wood grained dash insert looks dated (haven't got around to this one yet).

Sure:

img0891w.jpg

dsc02905n.jpg

dsc02908rt.jpg

dsc02912u.jpg

dsc03043rp.jpg

img0897t.jpg

Lots of things I still want to do to this boat this year and next. Tower speakers, another amp, better sub, Perfect Pass, upgrade the ballast tanks and plumb them in, 18" trailer wheels, pull the cheapy Malibu sticker off for something better, and some other odds and ends. We bought her last summer and I've already done a few upgrades to it (bimini, Alpine head unit and transom remote, replaced the rear speakers with Polks, front ballast bag, nice Malibu guide pads, and a bunch of maintenance items and repairs to get her in top running condition).

Wow! That is an awesome boat. Thanks for sharing.

My '98 VLX is essentially the same as the '99. When I bought it in '05, it was bone stock.

I've done the following:

- Perfect Pass

-Titan Series III tower with bimini and racks

-Custom 4-bag integrated ballast

-Upgraded stereo

-Manual wedge and modified teak deck with access hatch

-Chrome turn down exhaust tips

-Stripped original decals; added '05 Wakesetter decal package

1. The one piece back hatch like my '98 with an electric actuator. The actuator is slow and noisy; when I get some free time, I am going to convert it to manual.

2. The table is 98-99 only and is 'bolt-in' only. It is also right where everyone wants to step when they get in the boat.

Great info, thanks!

I have over 1500 hrs on my '99 VLX, and I expect to get another 13 years out of her.

As long as the boat you're looking at has been taken care of, there should be no reason not to expect many good years from it.

I have over 1500 hrs on my '99 VLX, and I expect to get another 13 years out of her. As long as the boat you're looking at has been taken care of, there should be no reason not to expect many good years from it.

I love seeing that. There are a lot of folks out there who split hairs over 200 vs 400 hours. These boats have TONS of life in them if maintained. Good to see some folks getting proper hours out of their boats :thumbup:

i 100% agree with you on this one. i converted my sunpad to a 3 piece design. SOO much better and more convenient

i removed the table and added a seat in its place

i removed the ski pylon completely

removed the rotary switches for a custom set up

luckily i didnt have wood... but i have cheap carbon fiber. that will be gone this year.

other then that. the boat is great until i can afford the newer hull, i'm perfectly happy. the wake (with ballast) is great!

I sold my 2001 Sunsetter LX, and am eyeing a 99 Wakesetter VLX. Any advice regarding things to look extra hard at when buying? I've never owned a V-drive, so would appreciate some guidance regarding them and VLX's in general. :)

Sold my 99 VLX last year to a guy in MI. Shipped it from TX to him. Let me know if you have any questions that come up, I would be happy to help. Great boat that holds its value WELL!

i 100% agree with you on this one. i converted my sunpad to a 3 piece design. SOO much better and more convenient

luckily i didnt have wood... but i have cheap carbon fiber. that will be gone this year.

other then that. the boat is great until i can afford the newer hull, i'm perfectly happy. the wake (with ballast) is great!

I must be the only one who likes the table!! :crazy:

I must be the only one who likes the table!! :crazy:

funny thing is. there were two boats i was looking at. one with and one w/o the table. and that was a selling point for me. then i soon realized that i actually never used the table except for the cupholder.

To convert the sunpad did you custom fab it or can/could you buy a kit?

Starting to second guess myself. Which would you rather have a 2000/2001 Sunsetter or Wakesetter VLX? Is it as obviously the VLX as I think it is? Resale should be better on a VLX all things equal right?

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Starting to second guess myself. Which would you rather have a 2000/2001 Sunsetter or Wakesetter VLX? Is it as obviously the VLX as I think it is? Resale should be better on a VLX all things equal right?

Really depends on your use of the boat. Are you trying to ski or board/surf?

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

in 2001 they have different hulls:

if you're more of a boarder, go with the wakesetter

2000 they have the same wake hull as the 2001 wakestter

at that point i believe it has more to do with how it's optioned. (tower, wedge, etc...)

Edited by scott_fx

Sheesh, I didn't say what I meant, sorry. I was meaning a Sunsetter Direct Drive vs. either a Sunsetter VLX or Wakesetter VLX. I'm assuming that when it comes time to sell that the V drive will be in more demand than a DD? There are a lot of Sunsetter DD's on the market, but few Wake or SunSetter VLX. Do you think that's because they made a lot more DDs vs. Vdrives in 2000/2001, or that the VLX's are more desirable and people are keeping them or buying them more quickly?

We'll mainly wakeboard, but I did ski when younger and wouldn't mind doing it some. The one thing about the Sunsetter LX that I really liked was taking the middle back seat out and just stepping onto the swim platform. Seems like a hassle on a V drive to crawl over the sun deck all the time. But obviously the V-drive makes a better wakeboard wake and has nice seating. (Although sometimes with a lot of people on the boat it's nice to space out).

Mainly asking because it looks like a SSVLX or WSVLX will run $2-4K more than a similar SSLX, which I'm willing so put in if it's likely to have better resale.

Go with the V-drive. Direct drives may have spaced out seating, but feel so much smaller. Plus that sun pad also hides a motor and two large storage areas that you should fill with 750lb fat sacks.

As already said, the 96-00 Sunsetter VLX is the same hull (and basically the same boat) as the 99-04 Wakesetter VLX (and same hull as the 05-08 V-ride) - SV23 Wake hull. The 01 is the only weird year, as the Sunsetter VLX gets the SV23 Diamond hull and the 01-04 interior updates. Also look at the 02-04 Sunscape 21LSV as it has the same hull as the 01 Sunsetter VLX. I will say when I purchased my boat I was a bit worried about having the diamond hull...now that I have it, you can still build a very comparable wake to the SV23 wake hull but at upper speeds has a calmer wake for slalom. I just open water slalom every now and then (and am not that great at it), but I appreciate the tamer wake at speed.

Price wise, you are more looking at 5-8k difference for a comparable V-drive vs. DD. And that's money well spent IMO unless you want a dedicated slalom machine, then go with the DD.

Go with the V-drive. Direct drives may have spaced out seating, but feel so much smaller. Plus that sun pad also hides a motor and two large storage areas that you should fill with 750lb fat sacks.

As already said, the 96-00 Sunsetter VLX is the same hull (and basically the same boat) as the 99-04 Wakesetter VLX (and same hull as the 05-08 V-ride) - SV23 Wake hull. The 01 is the only weird year, as the Sunsetter VLX gets the SV23 Diamond hull and the 01-04 interior updates. Also look at the 02-04 Sunscape 21LSV as it has the same hull as the 01 Sunsetter VLX. I will say when I purchased my boat I was a bit worried about having the diamond hull...now that I have it, you can still build a very comparable wake to the SV23 wake hull but at upper speeds has a calmer wake for slalom. I just open water slalom every now and then (and am not that great at it), but I appreciate the tamer wake at speed.

Price wise, you are more looking at 5-8k difference for a comparable V-drive vs. DD. And that's money well spent IMO unless you want a dedicated slalom machine, then go with the DD.

Thank you sir! :thumbup:

Yeah, I may add that the Sunsetter direct drive (we have an 01 we are selling), has a great ski wake and great wakeboard wake when you load it up(ours has Titan 1 tower and ballast). It is a bit packed when 8 people are on board, but is a great boat. if you can't find a WS, I would recommend looking at one. You shouldn't be dissapointed. I thought our board wake wouldn't be great because we have the diamond hull, but it is still good.