Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 Boats For Questions And Opinions

jeepdude2

which boat  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which boat

• Axis A20
    • Tige 22i
    • MB b52

well guys,

I went to the Detroit boat show on Sunday with the express intention of trying to iron out what i wanted to upgrade to.

I am not very biased when it comes to boats besides that it should be an inboard.

I mostly surf and wakeboard. i also spend a lot of time on the sand bar with it lol.

So I thought I knew what I wanted.

needless to say I ended up even more confused.

So I ended up loving 3 boats.

The Axis A20

+price point of 40K

+plug and play ballast

+Simple easy to work with interior, boat and set up.

-Name does not have the resale of others

-build quality (fit and finish)

-pickle fork look

The MB B52

+love the look

+love the ballast for surfing

+love the build quality and warranty

-small company

-heavy for a 21 footer

-ballast cannot be filled precisely

The Tige 22I

+direct drive (i love direct drive handling and versatility)

+1600 of ballast

+world class ski wake (i was told)

+awesome tower

-direct drive hump (i know this sounds oxymoron considering the above statement)

-Says surfable wave, but cant find any video of anyone doing anything except riding straight behind it.

-as expensive as v-drive.

- resale

I'm sorry Malibu didn't make the list, but everything from them was way over 60K

your opinions are welcome as I will have to order whichever I decide on.

Edited by jeepdude2

I have A22 and am very happy. But you're not going to be able to get into an a20 for 40 if there are many options. Don't group build quality with fit and finish. It's made side by side with malibu. Other than slightly thinner vinyl, components of build are identical to malibu, just simpler...no curved seats, simpler driver interface, etc. A20 is my vote.

I have A22 and am very happy. But you're not going to be able to get into an a20 for 40 if there are many options. Don't group build quality with fit and finish. It's made side by side with malibu. Other than slightly thinner vinyl, components of build are identical to malibu, just simpler...no curved seats, simpler driver interface, etc. A20 is my vote.

I am only looking at 2 options

Plug and play

Bow speakers.

As for fit and finish, it does lack even compared to a malibu, but i do realize it is a price point boat, like a porsche vs. a chevy.

the boat has come an incredible way in the last 2 or even 1 year.

i was pretty impressed with it on Sunday.

I can't really comment on the wakes but FWIW, I climbed around in the mb boats at our local boat show and was very impressed.

I was to, and it was unexpected.

everything felt super solid and the vinyl felt thick and durable.

the High freeboard is nice when you have non-boaters with you a lot.

I really like the dealer that reps them in my area too.

If you're looking in that price range you can't beat the MB, they have the best fit and finish of the price points and they are the most inovative. Their big draw back in my eyes is the freeboard, but that's about it. You get the most bang for your buck wiht the MB. The axis is a great boat, but lacks in fit and finish when compared to the MB. Their Vinyl is quite a bit thinner than the malibu, and everyone I've been on has had the vinyl cut early in its life from wakeboard fins or toe nails. Where the Axis is great is the wakeboard wake.

I can't speak about the tige, not a huge fan of direct drives

The MB comes with a ballast gauge. It isn't a digital screen but it shows you when the ballast is1/4 1/2 and full with some additional tick marks. We have an A22 that we paid 48k for in 2010. Sticker was 55k. The A20 at the local boat show was "boat show" priced at 53k original sticker was like58k. I don't think Axis has added anything to warrant the extreme price increases you are seeing these days. For my money I would go with the MB at this point.

That's the key issue. I bought my first Malibu from a really bad dealer (Malibu dropped them years ago) and it was a bad experience. I would never have gone back to them for any issues that may have come up. Luckily, the dealer I bought the next two boats (and a third on order) opened up and has been great to deal with. I would say that you should probably strongly consider going with the brand that is sold by the dealer you are most comfortable with.

I didn't even realize that Tige has a 22i anymore, and I troll the Tigeowners webpage nearly every day. Just seems that there is not much demand for a Direct drive that large. I don't think resale would hurt because it is a Tige, but I think it might hurt because you need to find the right buyer. A Tige R20 or RZR should be in that price range.

Of those that you mentioned, I would go with MB or Axis.

That is strong advice to go with the dealer you think will give the best service. I agree.

I didn't even realize that Tige has a 22i anymore, and I troll the Tigeowners webpage nearly every day. Just seems that there is not much demand for a Direct drive that large. I don't think resale would hurt because it is a Tige, but I think it might hurt because you need to find the right buyer. A Tige R20 or RZR should be in that price range.

Of those that you mentioned, I would go with MB or Axis.

That is strong advice to go with the dealer you think will give the best service. I agree.

i looked at the RZR and I liked what i saw.

like the useable space in the boat, and the boat.

My big thing with the Direct drive was the ability to have a great ski boat as well.

I do agree that a v drive is what most people want these days.

i looked at the RZR and I liked what i saw.

like the useable space in the boat, and the boat.

My big thing with the Direct drive was the ability to have a great ski boat as well.

I tested the RZR before I ordered my VTX. I was really impressed with the surfing wake and the ski wake (not as good as the CD Hull). They offer a factory setup with 1600lbs.

What pushed me to stay with the Malibu was the finish (the prices were pretty close in the end). The VTX feels a lot more open inside.

I am only looking at 2 options

Plug and play

Bow speakers.

As for fit and finish, it does lack even compared to a malibu, but i do realize it is a price point boat, like a porsche vs. a chevy.

the boat has come an incredible way in the last 2 or even 1 year.

i was pretty impressed with it on Sunday.

No racks, bimini, cover, mirror, stereo, lighting?

I agree it lacks fit and finish which is what I was saying, but doesn't lack quality. Molds are conditioned just like the Malibu molds and constructed just like one (Malibu).

A lot of clips of the Editor of waterski magazine skiing behind the A20, which is modeled after VTX. Will certainly be on the upper end of Vdrives for skiing.

I tested the RZR before I ordered my VTX. I was really impressed with the surfing wake and the ski wake (not as good as the CD Hull). They offer a factory setup with 1600lbs.

What pushed me to stay with the Malibu was the finish (the prices were pretty close in the end). The VTX feels a lot more open inside.

the RZR was a nice boat, but out of my range interms of price.

when did your your VTX price out at? that is a very nice boat as well, but to many cool bells and whisltes for my budget to afford.

how did MB compare price-wise with the A22?

i'm not sure.

i was looking at the A20 as the A20 was all i really need.

i would guess they are about the same price. as for the A20 it was almost 10 grand cheaper OTD.

But i am starting to think the Malibu dealer was full of it.

Considering he told me 40k otd base.

and that supposidly included everything but the bow speakers, pnp and possible tandem axle upgrades i wanted.

the MB is starting to look a lot closer in price.

I know the dealer real well, and he's real straight shooter.

dealt with my family for years.

Exactly my reaction as well. The salesman was kind of a twerp so I jumped in the boat and was gonna tear it apart and grill him on it, not so much. I was in the 21' Tomcat, and the 23' widebody. The only things I thought were questionable was the unfinished cut out to the observer compartment, the driver seats felt loose and rattled easily, and the 23' had a metal fuel tank.

i'm not sure.

i was looking at the A20 as the A20 was all i really need.

i would guess they are about the same price. as for the A20 it was almost 10 grand cheaper OTD.

But i am starting to think the Malibu dealer was full of it.

Considering he told me 40k otd base.

and that supposidly included everything but the bow speakers, pnp and possible tandem axle upgrades i wanted.

the MB is starting to look a lot closer in price.

I know the dealer real well, and he's real straight shooter.

dealt with my family for years.

MSRP on MB without trailer or options says $64k online. I'm just wondering how that's being compared to a stripped down A20. I'm not saying your dealer is full of it, just saying, all those things like cover, bimini, racks etc. are options although ballast and wedge are standard. Still doesn't get the price ridiculous even once you add a few options. 6-9 upcharge for the a22 about right. IT just seems like an apples and oranges comparison when it seems as if you're comparing different price-range boats and sizes.

In the real world, I think the "base" 21' MBs are in the $50k-ish range. That would inlcude a bimini, stargazer perfect pass, six speakers and a sub. The options can add up quickly -- wake plate is a $1500ish upgrade, the 409 motor is another $4kish, and other options are as expected (heater, shower, LED lighting, tower speakers, etc. etc.).

I have no idea how that stacks up against a similarly equipped A20, but I'd think they'd be close enough that the choice between the boats would come down to personal preference vs. letting it become a purely economic decision.

I have an '11 twb 23' and we've been happy with it. There are a few corners that were cut that irritate me a little bit, but as a wake tractor it does the job admirably, especially the ability to quickly change between disciplines (surf regular, surf goofy, etc on stock ballast as quick as you can change a rider).

I would throw MSRP out the window for MB. Their boats don't come close to approaching MSRP when you add options. The one at my local dealer has a sticker of 58k and that is with the cavitation plate and metallic gel coat which are Bout 2k total in options. I bet you could get it for 54-55k. Like I said earlier the same dealer has an A20 for 53k and that was boat show pricing. The MB comes with so many standard features you are going to get a lot more boat than a stripped down A20. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Axis we own an A22. It just seems like Axis is quickly moving away from their original core message of an affordable wakeboarding boat. I have demoed an MB F21 and I drove/ rode behind our Axis back to back with an MB 23 TWB. They are quite different.

Edit: I will say the A20 for 53k had quite a few options. A stripped down one might be much closer to 40k.

Edited by Bruizza

I would throw MSRP out the window for MB. Their boats don't come close to approaching MSRP when you add options. The one at my local dealer has a sticker of 58k and that is with the cavitation plate and metallic gel coat which are Bout 2k total in options. I bet you could get it for 54-55k. Like I said earlier the same dealer has an A20 for 53k and that was boat show pricing. The MB comes with so many standard features you are going to get a lot more boat than a stripped down A20. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Axis we own an A22. It just seems like Axis is quickly moving away from their original core message of an affordable wakeboarding boat. I have demoed an MB F21 and I drove/ rode behind our Axis back to back with an MB 23 TWB. They are quite different.

Edit: I will say the A20 for 53k had quite a few options. A stripped down one might be much closer to 40k.

you're right on the money Bruizza.

The msrp on MB is inflated and many things that are options on others are standard on the MB.

I'm getting an OTD price for the A20 tomorrow from the guy and I am going to see how it stacks up against the MB.

on an off note, the guys from epic finally called me back and for a Wake tractor, it is really well priced for all the standard options. i'm just leary of buying a $65,000 boat with the closest dealer being 16 hours away.

Edited by jeepdude2

MB builds a nice boat, Also the Tige is supposed to have good wakes from what I heard. Best thing is to get out and drive/ski them before you make up your mind.

In the real world, I think the "base" 21' MBs are in the $50k-ish range. That would inlcude a bimini, stargazer perfect pass, six speakers and a sub. The options can add up quickly -- wake plate is a $1500ish upgrade, the 409 motor is another $4kish, and other options are as expected (heater, shower, LED lighting, tower speakers, etc. etc.).

I have no idea how that stacks up against a similarly equipped A20, but I'd think they'd be close enough that the choice between the boats would come down to personal preference vs. letting it become a purely economic decision.

I have an '11 twb 23' and we've been happy with it. There are a few corners that were cut that irritate me a little bit, but as a wake tractor it does the job admirably, especially the ability to quickly change between disciplines (surf regular, surf goofy, etc on stock ballast as quick as you can change a rider).

A mildly optioned A20 (bimini, PNP, etc. (wedge and speed control is standard)) would be substantially less than 50.