Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Sunsetter Lxi

wedge88

Well after taking a year off and selling our RLXi back in 2010 we finally own another boat. It is a 2004 Sunsetter LXI. It was my parents boat as they are upgrading to a new TXI. We sold the other boat to go bigger and then found out we had a little one due July 4, 2011 so we decided to take a year off. After a very long year with very little lake time it will be great to be back. I have run my personal best slalom runs behind the SSLXI as well as all my barefoot accomplishments. Some things I will be changing is the rear decal, adding LED cabin lights, adding LED underwater lights and hopefully a new Evolution cover. The boat is immaculate with 500 hours.

Here is a family pick from 2 years ago. I will post some more closeups after the snow melts and she is resting in my garage.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/wedge88_2006/2004%20Malibu%20SSLXI/?action=view&current=IMG_0507.jpg

We loved our 01 SLXi...great rig. Great wakes, lots of room, plenty of freeboard. Only fault I can say is that it was a pooch out of the hole compared to a RLXi. I have to assume the 340hp Monsoon from 04 would push it better than the 325hp Monsoon we had in ours. Enjoy

Congrats on the 'bu and the baby!

Just as thrilled with my '01 SSLXi now as I was when I drove it off the lot in '01. The "kids" are now adults, and they and their friends take up a little more space than a decade ago (Come to think of it, so do I. :( ), but we still regularly carry 5-6 people, plus 2 large dogs. Or drop most everyone at the dock, and take some runs through the course. The boat does it all, and looks good doing it!

Long live the 2006 SSLXI with the illusion tower!!!!!

Remember the 04 SSLxi was on the Sv23 diamond hull or the oversized Response Lx.

05+ went to the 25 diamond hull, the more wake crossover then ski, and it never took off.

Nice score on the family ride.

Remember the 04 SSLxi was on the Sv23 diamond hull or the oversized Response Lx.

05+ went to the 25 diamond hull, the more wake crossover then ski, and it never took off.

Nice score on the family ride.

I did not know the difference, so thanks for the feedback. Cannot imagine why the crossover did not succeed. I read lots of threads on this site and others about those looking for the perfect boat to please the skier and the boarders. A V-drive will never be thrilling for the skier, while the wedge makes a dd at least respectable for the intermediate boarders. Cannot imagine the Response throwing as much wake and cannot imagine the Wakesetter pleasing the skier. That being said, wondering why the Sunsetter crossover didn't succeed? Also, the 06 is pretty roomy for a DD. Sorry to steal the thread, but love the sunsetter. (All years). I think it's a great family ride.

We loved our 01 SLXi...great rig. Great wakes, lots of room, plenty of freeboard. Only fault I can say is that it was a pooch out of the hole compared to a RLXi. I have to assume the 340hp Monsoon from 04 would push it better than the 325hp Monsoon we had in ours. Enjoy

I also love my 01 SSLXi, but would trade up to a lightly used 04 in a heartbeat if I could find one. The 340 Monsoon does make a big difference. Congrats to the OP!

I did not know the difference, so thanks for the feedback. Cannot imagine why the crossover did not succeed. I read lots of threads on this site and others about those looking for the perfect boat to please the skier and the boarders. A V-drive will never be thrilling for the skier, while the wedge makes a dd at least respectable for the intermediate boarders. Cannot imagine the Response throwing as much wake and cannot imagine the Wakesetter pleasing the skier. That being said, wondering why the Sunsetter crossover didn't succeed? Also, the 06 is pretty roomy for a DD. Sorry to steal the thread, but love the sunsetter. (All years). I think it's a great family ride.

The 05/06 SLXi didn't make it for a couple reasons IMHO.

1) it was a HUGE boat compared to the 99-04 version. It's ski wakes weren't anywhere near the quality of the original model.

2) nearly all the buyers of new inboard boats want wake boat with tons of room and huge wakes (which the SLXi didn't have). A VTX will ski nearly as well as your big SLXi, boards better and has v-drive room.

In short, the market just went away for the SLXi...

The 05/06 SLXi didn't make it for a couple reasons IMHO.

1) it was a HUGE boat compared to the 99-04 version. It's ski wakes weren't anywhere near the quality of the original model.

2) nearly all the buyers of new inboard boats want wake boat with tons of room and huge wakes (which the SLXi didn't have). A VTX will ski nearly as well as your big SLXi, boards better and has v-drive room.

In short, the market just went away for the SLXi...

I’ll add the addition of the RLXI was also instrumental in the demise of the SLXI. Also the ’05-’06 SLXI in the eyes of many didn’t excel at anything better than other models provided either. Didn’t ski as well as the ’99-’04 hulls and the wakeboard wake just wasn’t going to do it for those looking for a wake of any size.

Thanks everyone. It is great to be back. The boat is slower out of the hole than our past 06 RLXi which I will miss when barefooting, but this boat is perfect for us. We can run the course, barefoot, drop the wedge and wakeboard and fill the sack and surf. It has plenty of room since we are coming from a RLXi and I know it was well taken care of because my dad is the only person more anal than me when it comes to boats.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old but I have to say it has been the most useful one I have found as far as talking about the Sunsetter LXi capabilities. My family is growing and taking them and another family out in my CB echelon is impossible. So I sold my 1997 echelon and am shopping for a SSLXi. I was worried the SSLXi was not going to meet my slalom needs. This thread made me feel much better about that. I don't expect it to have the wake of the echelon but I am hoping for a good slalom wake and then have the ability to Surf once the slalom water is gone.

As of right now I have a line on what appears to be a nice '02 SSLXi with low hours and a fair price.

Mike

I know this thread is old but I have to say it has been the most useful one I have found as far as talking about the Sunsetter LXi capabilities. My family is growing and taking them and another family out in my CB echelon is impossible. So I sold my 1997 echelon and am shopping for a SSLXi. I was worried the SSLXi was not going to meet my slalom needs. This thread made me feel much better about that. I don't expect it to have the wake of the echelon but I am hoping for a good slalom wake and then have the ability to Surf once the slalom water is gone.

As of right now I have a line on what appears to be a nice '02 SSLXi with low hours and a fair price.

Mike

I hope it's not the one I'm looking at? :)

Buy it. I'm having a tough time getting the wife to agree to an upgrade this season.

I hope it's not the one I'm looking at? :)

Buy it. I'm having a tough time getting the wife to agree to an upgrade this season.

The one I am looking at is no where near MI :) Luckily I have already gotten the OK on the upgrade from the wife. If the boat is as nice as I think it is I probably won't even dicker on price. Going to see and ski on Thursday evening so I'll let you know!