Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Surf Racks That Arent A Combo

Calexan

Do I have any options that would be similar to the stock Malibu Combo racks for the G3 on my 2011 247? The combo racks cant hold a thick surfboard or a double deck wakeskate. Had some of the single surf racks on my illusion and hope there is something out there like that. My dealer doesnt know of anything, so now i turn to yall....

Yes you do have a option but you will have to wait a few more months for the racks to be available.

More details to come when I have permission. :rockon:

Greg, Are these Samson like the pics above or another brand that you are speaking about? Group buy :whistle: in a few months?

The forks on the top pick let me put in a knee board even though it is a combo. I can also use a single fork setup but I like being able to hold two items.

Hi BSUBU_Kris,

Can you let me know what brand that rack with the kneeboard is and where they came from, nothing like that available in Aus and our 2 kneeboards have to live in the rear locker.

Would like to see if I can get a couple sent here, or son might be able to pick-up, He will be in US/Canada for a month from beginning of March.

The forks are from a Monster tower rack. I made an adapter to connect the triangle tube on the Monster rack to where the forks connect on the G3 rack. I already had the Monster rack and just cut off the tube and welded a bracket with the same bolt pattern as the Malibu G3 fork. I could now put other Monster forks on there if I wanted to as there are a number of Monster options that bolt to the triangle tube. Someone here mentioned that the New G3 ski rack is $900. Ouch....

The forks are from a Monster tower rack. I made an adapter to connect the triangle tube on the Monster rack to where the forks connect on the G3 rack. I already had the Monster rack and just cut off the tube and welded a bracket with the same bolt pattern as the Malibu G3 fork. I could now put other Monster forks on there if I wanted to as there are a number of Monster options that bolt to the triangle tube. Someone here mentioned that the New G3 ski rack is $900. Ouch....

Thanks, very neat job you did with that. I might try to get some billet aluminium and cut new forks for the std G3 rack. Malibu Racks have always been around $800-$900 here in Aus, even for the older towers.

Edited by Flamingturbo
  • 1 month later...

Yes you do have a option but you will have to wait a few more months for the racks to be available.

More details to come when I have permission. :rockon:

Anything yet? :whistle:

• 2 months later...

After a long time of "putting this off" I ended up making an adapter plate for my old single space surf racks off my Illusion XS tower and moving them to my G3 tower.

I took a 1/2" thick block of aluminum, about 2" wide and 6" long. Trimmed it up to follow the contours of the towerr, and drilled 2 holes exactly 4" apart for the 3/8" x 1" SS Hex cap screws. This is the G3 holes spacing.

post-3854-0-61725700-1341627971_thumb.jp

However, I had to actually "modify" the base brackets of the board racks. on the XS tower, the holes are canted (not 90 degrees into the tower. So I simply enlarged the back hole and drilled a new hole just behind the original hole. Drilled and tapped 3/8 holes into my new brackets to accept these.

Bolted the bracket to the tower.... then the board rack bases to the bracket...

post-3854-0-75795600-1341627982_thumb.jp

I would makes some and sell them, but it took too long to make. :)

Thoughts on this???

Did you use a CNC? Would you mind sending CAD files for your design? or tell me how much for one? =o)

It seems like there would be a large market for adapter plates, as there are lots of board racks for the Illusion tower but none for G3

Did you use a CNC? Would you mind sending CAD files for your design? or tell me how much for one? =o)

It seems like there would be a large market for adapter plates, as there are lots of board racks for the Illusion tower but none for G3

I think I just pitched my drawing last week. I literally traced the tower onto graph paper, bolt holes and all...

I can probably come up with some dims though for you.... Give me a few days to get to it...

We just had "surf pockets" sewn into the Bimini they have a divider which can hold 4 of the thickest boards up to the 5.8 liquid force. they do not move or bang around . At first I tried a bungee but the pockets work perfect and you just slide them out.

Yep I do it nearly every weekend using a combo rack. I have an old school thick 3" knee board I hate but my boys love.

I put a surfboard in the top slot of the combo rack, lay the knee board on top of that, NOT in a slot, countoured as much as possible with the surfboard, and throw the bungees over the whole thing and cinch it all down. 2nd summer doing this, no issues.