Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake/surfacks Set Ups

h2ojunkie

Just purchased some single surf racks for my tower.Looking for pics and input on rack set ups for my Illusion X tower. Have the swivel racks up there now for wakeboards/skim boards and they are on the top mount locations, thinking I may move them to lower locations and have the fixed mount single surf rack above them.

Is that what some/most of you have done? I ask cause we just got the boat last fall and adding some racks, lights, LED's ect... and don't have much experience with the Illusion X tower. All input/pics appreciated, Tks.

Damn my boat looks good in shasta! Lol.. It all depends on what angle forks you have. The straight ones should be on the bottom and the Angeled ones on the top. this will keep them from hitting each other.

• 1 month later...

ok, after buying 2 sets of racks from different companies I still don't have the right angle racks for the upper location so they wont interfear with the lower wakeboard racks. I have the 30 degree racks in lower location, really did not want (nor have the $$) to change out the lower forks to the 15 degree forks. Looking for alternative ideas for surf board racks. I did noit want to give up our ability to use the bimini but the cost of buying racks and the hassle I have gone thru after being told "yea,the racks will work with your existing set up" and still have clearance issues with the boots from the upper board on lower rack, I am left frustrated and no good way to keep my surf boards on the tower. Creative ideas would really be appreciated. (Illusion X tower) I have tried to have the racks I have purchased modified to get the right angle for clearance but all have been cost prohibitive and void any warranty on the racks so that has not been a great option either.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have been searching most of the morning to try to find some direction on what board racks to buy for a 2006 VLX with illusion x tower. I believe we have the older Titan racks(squarish mount that has a pin you push in and the rack will swivel in 90 degrees.

We would like to get some new board racks as the ones we have now when you ride over some rough water will cause the boards to touch together and slap on the outer edge.

What company should we look at for racks and what angle? I really like liljohns boat with the single surf rack in the top position and wake in the bottom(we board 90% of the time and usually care 1-2 surf boards with us for when the water gets rough/or lake becomes busy). As of now we place the surf board in the bow or between the walk way so its a PITA.

Thanks in advance

I ended up biting the bullet and buying 2 new sets of Menace line racks from StarOne wake. Have the 30 degree on top and 15 degree on the bottom on the swivels. I have 3 surf/wake-skim combos, and 1 dbl wake-skim board racks.Love the set up as we can carry alot of boards and typically have 3 wakeboards and a skim style surf board and 2 surf style boards and still have room for others to bring theirs along. Decent quality and seem durable enough,just wipe them clean after the day and any travel.I use a nice cleaner and wax on them monthly and they look to be holding up well enough so far (silver). No clearance issues when using the swivel racks. Pretty happy overall,just had to spend more $$ than I originally wanted to. No board edge damage either.

Edited by h2ojunkie