Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sirius Or Xm Install In 2011 Vlx?

bamabonners

I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GEX-XMP3-Portable-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B001I70YRI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1329003163&sr=8-6

I also have a docking station in the car to move it back and forth. Cheaper than paying a subscription on something you only use 5-6 months out of the year on the boat. I have the car window mount on the boat running a external antennae and 12v power cord... :rockon:

I run a cord through the aux jack out of the EQ

Edited by Living the Dream

- Get Sirius; I've had Sirius for 7 years now, but have played with XM a lot. Though there are a lot of channels that cross over, unless you pay extra for the "Best of Sirius" on the XM plan, you will be happier with Sirius.

- I'm not sure what exact head unit Malibu put into your boat - their website and Rockford's doesn't indicate it. My assumption is that it's the Rfx9700Cd. If so, it is Sirius ready and uses a universal tuner.

You have 2 choices. One is the SCC1 universal tuner, that's not portable. The choice I chose for the Alpine unit in my boat, and what I suggest, is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-SCVDOC1-Connect-Plug-Vehicle/dp/B000ZHRLUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329050958&sr=8-1

This allows you to purchase a variety of portable units (I have a Sporster 5, but I don't suggest getting that unit). This way you can use the unit (and subscription) in other vehicles as well. This turns the portable unit into a direct tuner, and the Rockford Head Unit will control it. Works very well, and one less thing you have to have visible on your dash. Doing a unit just plugged into the AUX input works, but then you have to always see it, loose control from your head unit and transom remote, and doesn't look as nice, and could chance picking up grounding interference from the AUX jack as well.

boat is 2011 VLX with factory fosgate system, sound package 3. i want to install sirius or xm. What would I need to accomplish this?

I have a portable unit , XM Express RC1, less than $100.00, that I use in my tow vehicle and the home. I have a power chord and ant. permanently mounted in the boat and tow vehicles. I just take the actual unit and put in the bracket in the units, plug in the 2 cables and I am ready to go. You can use a cassette adapter if you have a cassette in the boat or , As I do, set the radio in the boat and the XM unit to an unused radio station in your area and off you go. I also put in a ( $30.00) fm modulator that eliminates and radio interference that you might have using the radio station plan. Basically I use the one XM unit in 3 vehicles, one boat, and the home, and I pay only 1 monthly fee for 1 radio XM unit. Good luck, Steve