Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulling My Prop

BG2085

pulling my prop off to get modified...got the key out, nut off and now stuck. can you pull it without a prop puller? my local shop sells them only....doesnt loan them out (HOW NICE!). Any tips or suggestions?

thanks

pulling my prop off to get modified...got the key out, nut off and now stuck. can you pull it without a prop puller? my local shop sells them only....doesnt loan them out (HOW NICE!). Any tips or suggestions?

thanks

No matter what you do put the nut back on! After that you can try to tap from front but that metal is soft so be careful. A puller is much easier. Make SURE your nut is ON when you tap use puller. You will see how much velocity that prop can have and that nut keeps it on the shaft so it doesn't hit you.

No matter what you do put the nut back on! After that you can try to tap from front but that metal is soft so be careful. A puller is much easier. Make SURE your nut is ON when you tap use puller. You will see how much velocity that prop can have and that nut keeps it on the shaft so it doesn't hit you.

:plus1: keep your nut on...

I use a 4" one of these, snug it up and tap it from the shaft side with a weighted rubber mallet. Soak it with PB Blaster a few hours before might help as well.

c_clamp.png

Edited by Ndawg12

:plus1: Absolutely keep the nut on.

A block of wood or a plastic hammer and tap from the front as close to the prop hub as possible.

Put together a weekend saver kit: puller, nut, key (cotter and shaft), and a spare prop. You may never need it you may use it the first time out. I keep mine in the truck any time we go away from the house

Oh yea just to join the fun. Keep the nut on :horse: .

ok....you guys have talked me into keeping the nut on! great recs...thanks alot guys.

Bg

Hands down the best advise! Next time I have to do it, I'll be protecting my eyes and ears. Last one I changed (on my old boat) was pretty stubborn. I was working on it for about half hour, and when it finaly broke free, it sounded like a gunshot about a foot from my head. The nut kept the prop on the shaft, so it was all good...

Hands down the best advise! Next time I have to do it, I'll be protecting my eyes and ears. Last one I changed (on my old boat) was pretty stubborn. I was working on it for about half hour, and when it finaly broke free, it sounded like a gunshot about a foot from my head. The nut kept the prop on the shaft, so it was all good...

LOL.gif The first time I popped mine off it scared me too! Even though your startled, the "CLANG" is music to your ears if it was a stubborn one.

LOL.gif The first time I popped mine off it scared me too! Even though your startled, the "CLANG" is music to your ears if it was a stubborn one.

The only time I have had to pull mine it came off with a nice neat little pop. Still fell over and landed in the flower garden. :yahoo:

So, am i one of the only ones who removes the prop as part of winterizing?

I pull it each fall and grease up the shaft and prop, then store it uninstalled. I don't want them welded together over time.

Oh, and I leave the nut on.

I pull it each fall and grease up the shaft and prop, then store it uninstalled. I don't want them welded together over time.

i pull my prop each winter also... same reason

I ran the stock prop on my first boat for years untill i needed to pull it. i about jumped when the thing popped off. After that I bought on of the "kits" with the hard case, puller, wrench, etc. anytime the boat is headed to the water, just grab the kit and leave it in the truck. it stays safe during transport, and you never know when you will need a spare. You usually need a spare when you forget to bring your spare :lightning:

i pull my prop each winter also... same reason

I Do too! :biggrin:

You guys are crazy. Just put a whole lot of anti-seize on the shaft and forget about it.

New boat. Haven't pulled my prop, yet. But when I do... I will leave my nut on! :whistle:

It would be a real good idea for you to do a trial run at your house. You will learn a lot.

I also pull mine every fall and grease the shaft for storage as well. It does a few things....lets me inspect the prop on the workbench under good light, send it in for balancing if I think it needs it, and is impossible to steal at the storage facility if it's not on the boat. Thumbup.gif

My prop slid right off. The cotter pin was missing, the nut was loose, the key was shot, and the prop was cracked. I replaced all and feel like I dodged an expensive bullet. A nice side effect is a great hole shot though.

I like the Clang too..... the CLANG of victory!!!

My prop slid right off. The cotter pin was missing, the nut was loose, the key was shot, and the prop was cracked. I replaced all and feel like I dodged an expensive bullet. A nice side effect is a great hole shot though.

Dang! That could have ended nasty! Glad you caught it! Thumbup.gif