Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How To Make The Morse Tight ! It Is Too Lose And Moves Itself..

Gabrielwakesetter

I just talked to Jim over there in the Control and Cables Tech Support department. He said the 2 springs actually lay inside each other. My guess is that originally they only had 1 spring in there and the second adds more tension. I'll check when I get my new springs that he's sending, but I'll bet that when the dealer service guys replaced my spring, they only put one spring there (direct replacement) when they should have put 2 (upgrade). I will post some pictures up when I do this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Got my new springs installed today and the tension seems perfect now!

Where did you get it from? I have the same broke spring and am having a hard time finding one. Do you have a part number and website or phone number?

Thanks.

Edited by blockparty

I think I just looked up the customer service number for Morse/Teleflex and they sent me one from there. You basically double up the existing spring. See above in the thread. I can't seem to find the number I called but a Google search should work.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I found one spring and replaced it but haven't found the second yet. The spring on the aft part of the throttle control was cracked. Here's pics of the parts, where the aft spring is located and the spring replaced.

I called SeaStar (Teleflex no longer in marine business) and actually tracked down Jim (referenced above). He told me to use the cable clamp and that the replacement springs are for the electronic throttle only. I really don't like this kind of kludge but thats all he could do for me at this point. Anyone have any other ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I had my transmission replaced in my 2007 Malibu Response. The throttle (drive by wire) worked great before , but now it's very stiff. Is there any way to adjust? It moves very smooth when button pulled out in neutral. It makes no sense, because there is no cable, only electric wires for drive by wire. Very perplexed?

You will have a cable for the trans engagement. The cable may of been misrouted or kinked some how. It should more or less be flopping around on top of the gas tank. If you do have a kink it will most likely be where the cable enters into and under the deck. The trans cable is in blue and is connected to the area where the trans and VD mate up.5922e7c6b281a_image_url-14628-13582778941.jpg.ba5679a461f441b7e42f82047d81c47b.jpg

It is also possible that the detent ball on the transmission shifter is tightened too far.  I would check with the installer to make sure the transmission is correctly adjusted if the visual inspection suggested by @wdr doesn't turn up any smoking guns.

@schmed - And welcome to the crew.

For future reference, it is almost always better to create a new post about your problem instead of dredging up a similar one that is several years old.  Maybe for an *identical* problem....

Back to your problem, disconnect the cable at the transmission end and make sure that the shifter still works smoothly.  If not, you have a linkage/cable problem.  If it is smooth, try manually shifting the transmission lever.  If it is very stiff, you can probably adjust the detent ball yourself, assuming that is the problem.

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2012 at 10:57 AM, yabetcha said:

Cedar-I don't think that was the case in 2006. They all used the same throttle -morse mv3, but the ride series came with a plain black knob instead of the silver Malibu.

I believe http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1122, item 32211 at skidim.com is the model we all have.

CONTROL, SINGLE DBW TELEFLEX

Drive By Wire new style MV control, does not include shift knob (any knobs that we sell will fit). This control does not use a throttle cable but has the potentiometer/connection for drive by wire. Has the connector for shift cable.

I am trying to locate this part and no one seems to have it! Do you still have a source?

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2012 at 7:57 AM, Jimmypooh said:

What year are we looking at?

I'm not him, but I'm looking for the spring. Everyone referenced 2 springs, from Jim at Morse: Control and Cables Tech Support, but I never saw the name of the spring to ask for or how to get in touch with him. I very well realize this is a decade later now... fingers crossed you know how/where to get these.

(2006 VLX with Morse Control throttle that is very loose)

This may help you, although this is from 2015 when I was in touch with him for my old 2006 21 VLX:

Jim Corday

Tech Support Rep II

640 North Lewis Road | Limerick, PA 19468-1228 | Tel: 610-382-1980

seastarsolutions.com | [email protected]

One more edit, I read through my email thread with Jim after the springs had been replaced and the issue came back after a couples seasons. They suggested adding a cable brake kit to the controller with a part number of 044386. I never did this upgrade since I sold the boat right after.

Edited by achimbos
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

FYI to anyone that finds this old thread. I emailed Jim this week when my spring broke. He no longer has any springs left to send out. 

2 hours ago, Jonnny53 said:

FYI to anyone that finds this old thread. I emailed Jim this week when my spring broke. He no longer has any springs left to send out. 

I think I would try fabricating one out of a feeler gauge blade.  You should be able to buy individual blades at a big box parts store.

• 8 months later...