Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How To Make The Morse Tight ! It Is Too Lose And Moves Itself..

Gabrielwakesetter

My boat (wakesetter 2010) accelerates every time I get a small wave, because the morse is too lose. Is there a way to make it tighter??

I've looked for a solution on this issue too. There was a recall on a part in the throttle control (a spring I think) that I had replaced under warranty, but it didn't really help. I haven't been able to find anything else. I either keep my hand on the throttle in chop or set the cruise.

My throttle controller was replaced at about 350 hours for this reason. At 830 hrs now and still tight. The spring deal was tried first with no improvement so they changed the whole controller.

Did they replace under warranty? Did you have to pay for it? I'm wondering if they will do mine (06 VLX).

The throttle on mine used to be perfect but after getting it back from the dealer after a dampener plate exploded, the throttle knob has a tendency to slow down. Not sure exactly how this could be related but it certainly makes cocktail cruises much more difficult. To not have a tensioner built into the unit is ludicrous.

I will take a to the dealer, however here in Argentina everything is more difficult. nevertheless I was thinking that if I take it apart and I add a slim rubber around the cylinder it might add more resistance and keep it in place. Have you guys tried it? I might do it until I get it replaced.

I will take a to the dealer, however here in Argentina everything is more difficult. nevertheless I was thinking that if I take it apart and I add a slim rubber around the cylinder it might add more resistance and keep it in place. Have you guys tried it? I might do it until I get it replaced.

keep in mind that morse throttle may be slightly safety related.

if your addition happens to cause clearance problem while at wot and you can't get it back to idle it could get exciting.

consider wearing the safety lanyard if you decide to jury rig?

Did they replace under warranty? Did you have to pay for it? I'm wondering if they will do mine (06 VLX).

Replaced under warranty in the 3rd year, no $$ out of my pocket. Other than 2 trips to dealers. I switched dealers after the first attempt with a spring fix, (don't believe they really did anything) New dealer said they weren't messing with springs because warranty would pay for a whole new controller.

Replaced under warranty in the 3rd year, no $ out of my pocket. Other than 2 trips to dealers. I switched dealers after the first attempt with a spring fix, (don't believe they really did anything) New dealer said they weren't messing with springs because warranty would pay for a whole new controller.

That's nice that you were able to get it done under warranty. Mine has been over for a while so I doubt they will change it for free. With the dangerous nature of this one would think it would be a recall, especially with some of the crazy lawsuits we've seen lately. Oh well. I guess I can just deal. I don't really feel like dropping 500 on a new unit myself.

That's nice that you were able to get it done under warranty. Mine has been over for a while so I doubt they will change it for free. With the dangerous nature of this one would think it would be a recall, especially with some of the crazy lawsuits we've seen lately. Oh well. I guess I can just deal. I don't really feel like dropping 500 on a new unit myself.

I too thought it should be a recall. If I hit a good size wake at higher cruising speeds, my throttle would sometimes go to full throttle. SURPRISE! Not one I enjoyed though. At foiling speeds (24) it would usually creep back slower till it would fall out of cruise control range and the speed control would dis en gauge itself. That would surprise your rider. Not a good feeling if you are the rider. :crazy:

I pulled mine on our Response to bits, and replaced the wave washer that tensions the lever, also added 2 brass washers made from 006" shim material to take up wear in the mechanism.Works perfectly just like new.

Edited by Flamingturbo
  • Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to get a look at mine tonight.

Watch out for the spring-loaded ball bearing that helps to locate the lever at neutral, can get ejected a fair distance, I lost one in the grass (next to driveway) and had to replace that too!! And don't lubricate the washers.

Edited by Flamingturbo

Watch out for the spring-loaded ball bearing that helps to locate the lever at neutral, can get ejected a fair distance, I lost one in the grass (next to driveway) and had to replace that too!! And don't lubricate the washers.

It seems like I have a different design. The console looks just like the Teleflex / Morse MV3 but no ball bearing in this design and I don't have circular washers or a wave washer. I have a flat piece of spring steel that applies pressure to a roller that rides on the main shaft rotating shaft. Does this sound familiar? I need to replace the flat spring that has broken.

It seems like I have a different design. The console looks just like the Teleflex / Morse MV3 but no ball bearing in this design and I don't have circular washers or a wave washer. I have a flat piece of spring steel that applies pressure to a roller that rides on the main shaft rotating shaft. Does this sound familiar? I need to replace the flat spring that has broken.

Must be a different set-up inside the later controls, mine was from our previous boat, a '97 Response

Surfray-I have a 2006 with the same problem. Can you take a pic of yours disassembled and post where you find a replacement piece.

Yabetcha,

Surfray lists he has a VLX and you list you have a vRide. One of the items they swapped out to minimize cost on the ride series was the throttle. The throttle in the VLX is going to be different than in your vRide. maybe some of the internals are the same but definitely different parts.

Cedar-I don't think that was the case in 2006. They all used the same throttle -morse mv3, but the ride series came with a plain black knob instead of the silver Malibu.

I believe http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1122, item 32211 at skidim.com is the model we all have.

CONTROL, SINGLE DBW TELEFLEX

Drive By Wire new style MV control, does not include shift knob (any knobs that we sell will fit). This control does not use a throttle cable but has the potentiometer/connection for drive by wire. Has the connector for shift cable.

Cedar-I don't think that was the case in 2006. They all used the same throttle -morse mv3, but the ride series came with a plain black knob instead of the silver Malibu.

I believe http://www.skidim.co...s.asp?dept=1122, item 32211 at skidim.com is the model we all have.

CONTROL, SINGLE DBW TELEFLEX

Drive By Wire new style MV control, does not include shift knob (any knobs that we sell will fit). This control does not use a throttle cable but has the potentiometer/connection for drive by wire. Has the connector for shift cable.

Yabetcha,

That is interesting, because the same year I bought my iRide I drove a 2006 response. The throttles were like night and day. I could pinpoint a specific speed using the response throttle while a very small throttle move on my iRide causes jumps or drops in speed. I don't think I can attribute that to different knobs on the throttle :lol:

Yabetcha,

That is interesting, because the same year I bought my iRide I drove a 2006 response. The throttles were like night and day. I could pinpoint a specific speed using the response throttle while a very small throttle move on my iRide causes jumps or drops in speed. I don't think I can attribute that to different knobs on the throttle :lol:

There was probably a difference between a 2006 Response and 2006 IRide because the Response had Perfect Pass and did not have throttle by wire like all the other 2006 models with Malibu cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys there is a fix for the loose throttle. I talked to the engineers at Morse/Teleflex and they sent me two of the flat springs to install. Took about 5 minutes to install and the throttle is like new. I just replaced them a few weeks ago. I hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I found one spring and replaced it but haven't found the second yet. The spring on the aft part of the throttle control was cracked. Here's pics of the parts, where the aft spring is located and the spring replaced.

post-134-0-01709600-1346881172_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-14124800-1346881209_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-36636000-1346881284_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1