Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Searching For Boat

raminator08

Hi, im new here and I have been doing quite a bit of boat seaching in the past month or so. We currently have a bass boat but now we are looking to get back into water sports. The previous boat we had was a 99 Air Nautique. I loved that boat and so now I am seaching for a another one. Unfortunately, I only have a budget of under $10k since we are planning on keeping our bass boat. I came across a 97 response lx for $7k and was wondering what you thought of it. The owner says the boat is mechanically fine but cosmetics is a different story. The boat has 800 hours but 200 hours on new engine. Opinions?

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_03863.jpg

IMG_01662.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0384-1.jpg

IMG_0383-1.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

What engine was put in? The upholstery obviously needs to be done. You can tell that it was left in the sun at some point. Give it a test drive. I think if it drives well you should bring it home if you're willing to pay to have the interior redone. I think that if it doesn't have even the stereo system, 7k is a little pricey based on what I see and with the given info. I would go for 6k and try to settle at 6500. Great hull though.

You can probably find an older late 80's Nautique (2001) which has a great wakeboard wake. It would be a similar closed bow direct drive that should be similar to the BU...

The 2001

I didn't see many in TX, but I also didn't search multiple sites.

Good luck and post pics of what you end up with!

How much would it cost to do the interior? Im not too worried about the stereo, i can rig something up myself. I will see about having a mechanic check everything out.

I will try to talk them down, if i cant i think i will just let it go.

I would be more inclined to buy something like this http://www.onlyinboa...s.aspx?ID=27983

:plus1: A new motor after only 600 hours means a lack of maintenance, looking at the boat I would be surprised if the oil was ever changed. You are a lot better off if you buy something a little older that has been well maintained.

I'm searching in TX as well. Check this guys boat out. He doesn't have pics on the ad, but he sent some via text and the boat looks really well taken care of. It's an 89, but pretty nice.

89 Sunsetter

It's hard to find a Malibu under 10K that isn't beat or a scam. In my opinion that boat is worth 5k, you could easily spend 5-7k getting it to be almost as nice as a 12k boat like this, but once it's been let go this far it will never be as good as a boat that was maintained.

97 Response

I just don't know how people let boats sit out like this. I was at a dealer and there was a line of about 7 boats that I would love to have, but they were all uncovered baking in the TX sun... :cry:

Edited by Asmodeus2112

If you want a big boat for Sufing/boarding I know this boat is legit. Guy bought it from Phoenix last season:

Saltare

If you want a ski boat there are some reasonable boats like these:

ProStar 190

I saw that Supra for sale and have heard good things about that hull. Do you know the owner of the boat? Or about how it has been maintained? It is a little far from where I am but it might be worth a look. I have just been a little hesistant about buying a boat too old.

I always look at the way the yard looks it tells me a lot about the boat without even taking the cover off.

I'm not the only one, the guy that bought my VLX drove almost six hours because of how my yard looked in the pics on Craigslist.

New motor = skeptical.

Edited by LS-One

I saw that Supra for sale and have heard good things about that hull. Do you know the owner of the boat? Or about how it has been maintained? It is a little far from where I am but it might be worth a look. I have just been a little hesistant about buying a boat too old.

I don't know the guy, but he was looking to buy last year at the same time I was. He was in Dallas and I was in Austin, so we chatted about several boats that we both were eyeing. If you go to the supra forum you'll find some posts about his boat. He bought it from a guy in AZ that did a really nice job, well, not quite restoring it, but pulling it up to current state let's say. It does have wood floors, and I don't recall if they were redone, but I recall the current owner being versed in what to look for. A Salty is a big boat, so make sure your rig can haul it and you want to drive a truck around the lake not a sports car.... I have an e-mail somewheres that he sent me after he bought it with pics and such. I'll search around.

I always look at the way the yard looks it tells me a lot about the boat without even taking the cover off.

I'm not the only one, the guy that bought my VLX drove almost six hours because of how my yard looked in the pics on Craigslist.

New motor = skeptical.

This is so true!

New motor = skeptical.

My boat is in far better shape than my yard. :crazy: I would rather spend time on the Bu than dealing with my yard.

I should mention that myhouse was empty for about 2.5 years before I bought it, haven't been able to get it into any shape other than dead yet. :unsure:

I do agree that the new motor is scary.

I don't know the guy, but he was looking to buy last year at the same time I was. He was in Dallas and I was in Austin, so we chatted about several boats that we both were eyeing. If you go to the supra forum you'll find some posts about his boat. He bought it from a guy in AZ that did a really nice job, well, not quite restoring it, but pulling it up to current state let's say. It does have wood floors, and I don't recall if they were redone, but I recall the current owner being versed in what to look for. A Salty is a big boat, so make sure your rig can haul it and you want to drive a truck around the lake not a sports car.... I have an e-mail somewheres that he sent me after he bought it with pics and such. I'll search around.

Ok thanks. We have an f250 powerstroke so size is not a problem. I actually prefer a bigger boat because we will be using it on Rayburn and the waves can get pretty choppy there. The 454 looks impressive but the pcm gt-40 I had in the nautique was a great engine. Just curious, what type of boat are you looking for? Hopefully we wont have to be fighting when a deal comes up. Im more in the Houston area but ill drive if its worth it.

Update- the guy already lowered his price to $5500 after talking with him. I am still very hesistant about it, especially after how quick he lowered it and from your responses. Thank you guys for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Edited by raminator08

Ok thanks. We have an f250 powerstroke so size is not a problem. I actually prefer a bigger boat because we will be using it on Rayburn and the waves can get pretty choppy there. The 454 looks impressive but the pcm gt-40 I had in the nautique was a great engine. Just curious, what type of boat are you looking for? Hopefully we wont have to be fighting when a deal comes up. Im more in the Houston area but ill drive if its worth it.

Sorry, been away for a bit. I'm looking for a 2001ish Sunsetter or Wakesetter VLX. Really like Malibu, so would take an exceptional deal to look at another brand of this era/price.

To add you your decision, what you said here that you prefer a bigger boat etc. is another stike against this Response.

Oh, and plus my budget is a bit more than yours, so we probably will not overlap much.

Update- the guy already lowered his price to $5500 after talking with him. I am still very hesistant about it, especially after how quick he lowered it and from your responses. Thank you guys for your feedback. I appreciate it.

We are jumping to conclusions about the engine, yes the boat isn’t in terrific shape and it does worry me, but if very interested I’d have a marine mechanic thoroughly go through the boat dry and wet test before even talking price. Don’t forget having the trailer looked at. If you wanted something bigger and didn’t want to have to invest time and $ into a boat then I’d pass because no matter what you’ll be wanting a larger boat anyway.

Guys, I've got a 2000 LSV Escape in North GA that I'm considering putting on the market. It's in pretty good shape. We just don't use it as much as we should anymore, especially since the kids have moved on into their own lives.

5904419491_f723c78230.jpg

Take a peek at last season's pics here>>>>> http://www.flickr.co...57626720943504/

Beau :)

Well get out there and use it!! ;)

Guys, I've got a 2000 LSV Escape in North GA that I'm considering putting on the market. It's in pretty good shape. We just don't use it as much as we should anymore, especially since the kids have moved on into their own lives.

5904419491_f723c78230.jpg

Take a peek at last season's pics here>>>>> http://www.flickr.co...57626720943504/

Beau :)

I remember drooling over pics of your boat last year.