Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mefi 3 Or Cefi 3 Ecm Needed ! Please Help

skierdude111

Hello, I have a 99 Malibu Response with Indmar Hammerhead 383 engine. My boat has been out of commission for the past year and the mechanic and I losing my ! We have concluded that we need a computer. I am looking to buy a working MEFI 3 OR CEFI 3 ECM. Can anyone help me find one off a parts boat or something? Open to any suggestions. Thank you very much.

GM stopped making those a few years ago. I replaced mine this last fall. Went through a company in Redondo beach....google mefiburns.....

OBD Diagnostics, Inc., PO Box 2002, Redondo Beach, CA 90278

Tel: 310-793-2410 Fax: 310-807-8332 Email: [email protected]

I dealt with BOB, he was awesome to deal with, they had a couple left when I last talked to them. I paid $1500 with a core exchange. YOu will have to send yours to them and they can flash it with the old ones info. LEt me know how this works out for u good luck!!!

whats your boat doing, when i changed mine it didnt fox the problem, still broken, see major boat problems i posted under. Mine is a 01 LX with the Monsoon 320. I am hoping its gonnan be a prob with my ignition module, Exact same problem as the post under ....2003 sun setter vlx intermittent engine problem

whats your boat doing, when i changed mine it didnt fox the problem, still broken, see major boat problems i posted under. Mine is a 01 LX with the Monsoon 320. I am hoping its gonnan be a prob with my ignition module, Exact same problem as the post under ....2003 sun setter vlx intermittent engine problem

Thanks guys! This is a copy of the post from my mechanic this summer that summerizes everything he did to it:

I'm dealing with a 1999 hammerhead engine. Backfires through intake when advancing throttle at lower throttle settings. Sometimes dies at idle in neutral. Replaced cap and rotor, Distributor module, plugs, both fuel filters. Fuel pressure is good, but have'nt tried pressure test under load. Tried new tps, iac valve, map sensor. Sent injectors out for check/service. Sent computer out for test. Compression is good and even. Checked for vacume leaks. Cleaned grounds. Ohm tested spark plug wires. No codes logged. Tore top end apart and checked out cam and heads at machine shop. Installed new lifters. Timing chain seems fine. Ran engine with remote fuel tank. Put engine into "service mode" and adjusted timing. Adjusted timing under load manually. Checked continuity between computer and sensors. Spark plugs look ok. No wet, lean or rich looking plugs. Connectors at computer are clean and in good condition.

When disconnecting IAC, there's no change in idle speed. When disconnecting MAP, engine dies. Will restart, but dies right away. Distributor gear is good. All wiring looks good. Battery voltage is good and alt output is good. Vacume guage on intake reads ok (for 9000 ft). Motor will rev to 4200 rpm with prop that was on it for lower elevation. Swapped out coil. Made sure firing order is correct.

Short of changing out distributor, wiring harness, and ECU I don't know what else to do. I'm starting to suspect the ECU, even though it was sent out for testing.

What kind of gas you running?

By definition a backfire through intake means a valve hasn't shut at time of intended combustion. Isn't that right? So, you're getting some kind of pre-ignition. Octane correct? Fresh gas? Was he adjusting timing correctly? If he was able to put it in "service mode" then he was able to use diacom, yes? If so, no codes?

What kind of gas you running?

By definition a backfire through intake means a valve hasn't shut at time of intended combustion. Isn't that right? So, you're getting some kind of pre-ignition. Octane correct? Fresh gas? Was he adjusting timing correctly? If he was able to put it in "service mode" then he was able to use diacom, yes? If so, no codes?

We tried fresh gas in an external gas tank, manually played with the timing, able to put in service mode and there were no codes.

Edited by skierdude111

Have you tried putting a timing light on the motor as you gradually raise the throttle? It should go from your idle setting around 6-10 up to 34 to 36 degrees. If not check the advance weights in the distributor if it has them. On an electronic distributor I've seen the pick-up coil out of ohm range that caused weird misfiring.

• 2 weeks later...

I am convinced that the ECM is not calibrated with high elevation tables. I am sending it to OBD Diagnostics, Inc in CA. I will let you guys know in the spring how it works. Thank you for everyone's help and suggestions!

I am convinced that the ECM is not calibrated with high elevation tables. I am sending it to OBD Diagnostics, Inc in CA. I will let you guys know in the spring how it works. Thank you for everyone's help and suggestions!

Indmar doesn't have "high altitude tables" All ECM's from the beginning use MAP pressure (Manifold absolute pressure) to calculate elevation and adjust the fuel / air ratio.

OBD has repaired a damaged ECM for us before, great service.

-Paul