Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying A Sunsetter

bever

hey guys im new to all the forum stuff so apologies if this is wrong or something,

so down to business im just starting to get into watersports and im looking at a 2000 sunsetter vlx, come with the monsoon 325, are there any major problems with these boats i should look for.

i had a compression test done come back at 150psi across and 8 cyl.

any tips or suggested would be great

thanks again justin

I bought a 99 Sunsetter VLX four years ago (150 hours at that point) and love it. No real problems and has run well. The boat wakeboards and surfs really well, and isn't too bad for skiing. Haven't heard of any common, significant issues with the 99/00 VLX's. More likely to have issues with the older trailer if it hasn't been maintained than the boat in my experience.

thanks, the other problem is that i am buying it unseen, i just paid to get it inspected and it only come back with a small amount of rust around the drain hole in the trailer rear cross member, which i will cut out easy enough. it also has 470hrs on it (is this to much).

thanks, the other problem is that i am buying it unseen, i just paid to get it inspected and it only come back with a small amount of rust around the drain hole in the trailer rear cross member, which i will cut out easy enough. it also has 470hrs on it (is this to much).

470 hrs on a 12 year old boat is perfect (if they maintained it properly along the way). It means they probably used it somewhat regularly but not too much so if they were careful, the interior is probably pretty nice yet as well. As one point of reference, I have a '01 SSLXI with about 650 hours on it and it runs as good as new.

lol may have forgot to say im from australia, could effect price a little lol. but i get a ruff idea of prices,

comes with dual axle trailer, full covers, bimini, tower, monsoon motor 325hp. upholstery looks in good condition gel coat is a little faded but just in need of a good wax. small stain on carpet but for its age it is a clean boat

does this hull support a wedge as i would like to put one on just unsure if it can handle it.

You will have no problems using a wedge on that boat. Has the boat been used in salt water?

FYI - I just moved from Sydney Australia to Austin Texas.

A boat of this age in Australia would have been imported by someone and will likely carry the cost of shipping on to a new buyer. My very rough math to work out a price would be as follows:

Estimated current value of the boat in its originating country (USA) $21,000 (check this one out in Arizona)

Estimated cost of shipping it to Australia in the last 10 years $8,000

Estimated increase in value in Australia on account it is rare (believe me) + 20%

Estimated import tax if sold in Australia + 5%

My Estimated value in Australia $37K (AUD - which is close to 1:1)

How much is he asking?

Edited by New2Texas

i have been told no but you no what some people are like , say anything to make the sale.

got a boat and trailer report done be third party they come back with a little rust on trailer only around drain hole in cross member but breaks look ok no major rust there which is where i was told to look, any other places that are a give way for rust would be a help. the dealer is asking for 34k which over here doesnt seem to bad if i can get him down to 30 i would be happy.

is there any area that i should get photos of to see if its been in salt water?

You will typically see corrosion on anything metal. My friend had a VTX and we used it on salt water constantly, after 2 years it looked like it was 10 years old. he was constantly replacing the chrome everywhere.

$34 is not too bad. it's lower than i expected, perhaps because of some wear and tear. I would spend the money on a plane ticket and go check it out. Better to spend $500 on a weekend away then $34,000 on a floating money pit.

I suggest you ask where the boat has been serviced and speak with them, they wont hold back.

Yeah I would like to go see it but I live in mount isa. And flights out of here are around 800 one way and that's only to Brisbane then there more lol. It has crossed my mind to go have a look. I'll Check up on its history if it comes back with anything questionable I will go check it out.

Thanks for the help.

I just sold my 2000 vlx last year for $23,000. it had just over 600 hours and was in really nice shape. it was a great boat and never had any major or minor issues with it. I hope that helps a bit.

The circa 2000 boats are bullet-proof, just like mine.

P.S. I added a wedge. I'm asking $22K. 525 hrs.

Edited by Pistol Pete

The circa 2000 boats are bullet-proof, just like mine.

P.S. I added a wedge. I'm asking $22K. 525 hrs.

Not to thread jack, but Pete I love that decal on your boat. Is that just the new decals without the center?

Not to thread jack, but Pete I love that decal on your boat. Is that just the new decals without the center?

Yes,

Originally it looked like this.

37568520390.jpg

Got dated to me.

The new decal is just an 08 short / small version. They are OEM.

i have been told no but you no what some people are like , say anything to make the sale.

got a boat and trailer report done be third party they come back with a little rust on trailer only around drain hole in cross member but breaks look ok no major rust there which is where i was told to look, any other places that are a give way for rust would be a help. the dealer is asking for 34k which over here doesnt seem to bad if i can get him down to 30 i would be happy.

is there any area that i should get photos of to see if its been in salt water?

I'd say you buy Pete's and pay for shipping his. you'll probably be getting a better boat and you know it was well maintained. ;)