Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sick About Selling

Scotty's Sporty

I'm pretty much looking for everyone to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about my latest decision to sell the Bu. You see we just bought a new (used) house over the holidays that will require alot of "to do's" this year, including the planning and building of "Garage Mahal" ( A home for the boat and an outdoor kitchen area for my BBQ ). Now that your up to date on the plans, here's the boat part, knowing there will not be alot of watertime this summer and already having ideas of moving into a 23 LSV from our Sporty in the next year or two, I thought we may as well just put it on the market this spring, go about our projects and then start shopping next year or so. The problem is, in reality we will probably be out of the water for two summers do to what we will be spending on the house and then having to rebuild the the bank account to buy the boat we will be shopping for, and 2 summers is along time! I just don't know if this is the right decision, my family and I love being on the water and look forward to each and every weekend, so it will be a tough two years or so.

I'm pretty much looking for everyone to give me a warm fuzzy feeling about my latest decision to sell the Bu. You see we just bought a new (used) house over the holidays that will require alot of "to do's" this year, including the planning and building of "Garage Mahal" ( A home for the boat and an outdoor kitchen area for my BBQ ). Now that your up to date on the plans, here's the boat part, knowing there will not be alot of watertime this summer and already having ideas of moving into a 23 LSV from our Sporty in the next year or two, I thought we may as well just put it on the market this spring, go about our projects and then start shopping next year or so. The problem is, in reality we will probably be out of the water for two summers do to what we will be spending on the house and then having to rebuild the the bank account to buy the boat we will be shopping for, and 2 summers is along time! I just don't know if this is the right decision, my family and I love being on the water and look forward to each and every weekend, so it will be a tough two years or so.

If your boat is paid for, keep it. Nothing better than getting out for a quick ski after getting all sweaty and covered in drywall dust and sawdust.

Do you have any nearby friends with boats?

The best boat is your friend's boat.

If you still have a good tow rig :

Make yourself valueable by offering to do the towing of your buddies' boat.

He will never go to the lake without calling you first.

Nothing works better than 2 boat owner's sharing the driving / towing / docking duties.

Can't fault ya for doing what you need for your family....and selling it to make ends meet gotcha...and would offer ya all the pulls you could need. However, most of what I heard is want not a "need" sense. You only have so much family time until they get older and don't want to be around and soon there after....as other members have stated over the years when some wants to sell. So lengthen out the timeline for the projects and enjoy life along the way cause you never know what life will through at you....time on the water is just priceless most of the other wants imho are just going to have to wait.... :)

I hope to see that yellow Sporty on Salt Fork in July, but if you have to sell it you know your more than welcome on our boat and I'm sure about 5 others! Rockon.gif Shenango's not too far of a drive for you either if you end up selling and still want to get out on the water. Thumbup.gif

Bu Brother's got your back. Yahoo.gif

I would consider the kids and their ages. Also if you can replace that time on the water with some other similar family vacation/memory making activity. When I was 13, if my dad spent 2 summers working on the garage mahal, and outdoor kitchen, it would not have strengthened the relationship like going to the lake might. Age 6, probably another story.

The kids grow up so fast....

I hope to see that yellow Sporty on Salt Fork in July, but if you have to sell it you know your more than welcome on our boat and I'm sure about 5 others! Rockon.gif Shenango's not too far of a drive for you either if you end up selling and still want to get out on the water. Thumbup.gif

Bu Brother's got your back. Yahoo.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself!

That's it, Tall nailed it, don't blink because they will be grown and gone. Work to live and live every day.

:plus1:

I don't know anyone who has ever said "I spent too much time boating with the family the last few years".

I know plenty of people who have said "I spent too much time working on the dam house the last few years". Myself included.

Also, if you are saving up for the LSV, liquidating the sporty now or 2 years from now probably won't be a big difference. Save the capital for when you make the move. Is it paid for?

I would consider the kids and their ages. Also if you can replace that time on the water with some other similar family vacation/memory making activity. When I was 13, if my dad spent 2 summers working on the garage mahal, and outdoor kitchen, it would not have strengthened the relationship like going to the lake might. Age 6, probably another story.

:plus1:

We've put our lake house on hold for 2 more years as our daughter will be moving away to university then. If you don' t know already, trust us when we say "they grow up too fast", it sucks, but it's the truth. I'd rather spend a weekend with her and the wife on the lake than building anything at this point.

Good luck Brother.

Edited by Hammertime

As I have said for years, The Crew Rocks! Awesome replies! The boat is not paid off, if it was this would not even be up for conversation (although it doesn't break the bank to keep it), the kids are 3 and 6 and I do understand how time flies (I feel like they were born yesterday), there will be other activities this summer the house we bought has a pool with a sliding board and the kids are super excited about that. Plus I don't think I am going to take an aggressive approach at selling the boat, it might be a little higher than it should be:-)

Anyhow thanks angain for your replies they were all great and Malibudude you should change your name to Yoda cause over the years of reading your comments and advise, i feel your one of the most intelligent and wise people out there.

We'll see what happens maybe it'll sell and me and my Bu Brothers we'll hunt down a deal of the lifetime and I am forced to buy a little sooner than expected:-) (of course not till "garage mahal" is built cause she will need a place to rest her head!)

That's it, Tall nailed it, don't blink because they will be grown and gone. Work to live and live every day.

:plus1: Again,

I have one leaving for collage in the fall. As teens and as littleones the time goes by faster than you can imagin. the Garage Mahal can wait or do it on rainy days, cold winter days. sick days school days. anything but Family days

Good luck in making your decision. only you can but take some advise from those of us that have older kids. Time is NOT on your side. 18 years is really a short time.

Some of it is what you make of it. I LOVE my family time with my kids on the boat, but if I think back on the time I had with my Dad at that age, alot of it WAS working on our cabin, cutting firewood, etc. Every time I use a tool, his influence is with me. I guess what I'm saying is that a big home improvement project can be GREAT family time if you treat it that way.

I would concur with my Bu brothers here. My kids are at a point where this will probably be our last summer of even limited boating. I had a boat when they were younger, my former wife "forced" me to sell it, we all regretted that decision. Making fun and memorable memories with the kids is paramount to house projects for sure. They do grow up very quickly.

I finally replaced my old boat with a BU about 4 years ago and have had good times with most of my kids. Sadly their Mom wants to move them out of state next year and they will be 1,300 miles away and all over 18.

Sounds like you have a plan but a few hours out on the water "in the midst of" the projects is time irreplaceable.

I have the solution! Keep the Sporty, and use the difference you would have spent on an LSV to pay someone to build the garage for you. Spend your summer in the pool AND on the boat. If nothing else, do the finish work yourself inside the garage in the winter. Drywall, trim, cabinets, are all great projects to do with kids. Concrete/framing/roofing/siding - not so much.

I have the solution! Keep the Sporty, and use the difference you would have spent on an LSV to pay someone to build the garage for you. Spend your summer in the pool AND on the boat. If nothing else, do the finish work yourself inside the garage in the winter. Drywall, trim, cabinets, are all great projects to do with kids. Concrete/framing/roofing/siding - not so much.

+1

I think Michigan Boarder's plan is solid.

Keep the boat.

- There WILL be weekends you just don't want to work on the house. Take the boat out

- There are always weekdays after work. We do that 1-2 times a week during the summer

- Assuming the boat doesn't get any damage or extra wear over the next two years, it has pretty much has hit the bottom of its depreciation cycle, so you should be able to sell it for the same, or near the same, money in two years as you will now. That = guaranteed money saved for the next boat.

When we bought our Malibu, I wouldn't even put our last boat on the market until the Malibu was in the driveway.

Didn't realizae you were in Canton.

Despite that, I say dont sell. But if you do, you can come up and boat with me ! I'm in Akron, and often need a third. We ski on springfield, so you are very close.

PM me when it warms up either way,

Steve B.

thanks steve b and all others that replied, I have been crunching numbers and think I am going to put it on the market for fairly high price (unless it is a crew member that wants it, then we can talk)and that way if it doesn't sell, GREAT! And if it does, EVEN GREATER! one thing no one gets is that the old house had a home for the boat, the new house does not yet and that boat being in the elements absolutely kills me. I am insane and need all my goods indoors, I wax my tractor for god sake!

thanks steve b and all others that replied, I have been crunching numbers and think I am going to put it on the market for fairly high price (unless it is a crew member that wants it, then we can talk)and that way if it doesn't sell, GREAT! And if it does, EVEN GREATER! one thing no one gets is that the old house had a home for the boat, the new house does not yet and that boat being in the elements absolutely kills me. I am insane and need all my goods indoors, I wax my tractor for god sake!

Thats gotta be one good looking tractor