Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has It Been A Mild Winter For Everyone?

foiler1

It is February 8 and i still have open water in the middle and it is opening even more. This is the first winter not being able to snowmobile.My cove is safe for skating but that is as far as we will go. At this rate we should be hitting the water mid March :yahoo:

It has been extremely mild for us. The lakes have frozen over, melted, frozen over, melted, ect. and we have only had 3-4 decent snows. It seems that after every decent snow, it warms up and is all gone just a few days later.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

It has been a very mild winter in Chicago, I have been cross country skiing only once here.

Up in northern Wisconsin there is about 2' of snow but that is less than the 3-5' they usually get a winter. At least the ski resorts in the U.P. have some snow!

Strange and we got totally 0 out of that nice storm that hit Colorado.

Get ready to get the boat out sooner this summer...lol

I did more snowboarding in April last year than in January 2012, and February isn't looking much better. I must say, I'm missing the snow. At this time last year, we were measuring the snow in feet. Right now, the yard is green.

Yep. I have only plowed the driveway twice. Usually 30+ times by now. There are also usually ice fishing shanty's all over the lake by now. You would need a fishing boat right now.

While we're having it easy Alaska has been getting hammered with a really cold, rough winter. There are towns that have 20+ feet of snow on the ground and temps in the -50F or lower range!

My heating fuel use is down 40%. There has been no snow in NJ and less than a foot in upstate NY. We can only snowmobile in the higher elevations so far.

I'm about 30 miles northwest of Minneapolis and this has been the mildest winter i can remember. Two years ago we had a really warm March and was able to ski on April 1, the earliest ever. Hopefully I can beat my record this year!

Negative. We have already had a week of snow in the lowlands, which is not an annual event. We usually get snow a couple of times a year in an average year, but it can be gone by noon the next day. We have had a few stretches of major snow dumps in the mountains and a very good deep base. Balmiest weather in months has been the last few days, hit 50s today and sunny.

Edit

as you can see Puget Sound area

<<<<<

Edited by MalibuTime

Very mild and lack of snow. Living near Lake Michigan we can get hammered ... 100 inches isn't out of the question. We're sitting at a whopping 32" of snow fall so far this season. With cold air coming across Lake MI we get lots of clouds in the winter ... but this season it's been extra sunny too. This old bag of bones is enjoying it.

Only ice fished a couple of weeks ... then the ice got bad ... but with a couple of cold nighs the last 2 days they returned yesterday.

It is February 8 and i still have open water in the middle and it is opening even more. This is the first winter not being able to snowmobile.My cove is safe for skating but that is as far as we will go. At this rate we should be hitting the water mid March :yahoo:

If need be, I know where you can find a boat driver just 10 minutes away (who has a drysuit)Biggrin.gif. Is that busted up leg good to go for mid-March?

Great winter for adults, horrible for kids. We eeked out 3 downhill ski trips, 1 luge trip, 2 sledding days, and one of my boys skated at the outdoor park once and the ice has been nonexistent or too bad to skate since then. Zero snowmen built in our yard. At this time last year we had 6 feet of snow at the end of the drive, and put a 5 foot snowman on top of that. You could see it for blocks down the street. This year...green grass. But, that's all OK too, there's only 1 other time I have wakeboarded in March, and hope to do so this year. As far as I'm concerned, if it's gonna be 40 to 20 degrees outside it might as well snow. Here's our driveway at this time last year:

post-8942-0-36974700-1328792969_thumb.jp

:yahoo: I am thinking skiing in March !!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle: I have never plowed less, only 1,000 miles on the snowmobile. :( But I just do what ever it is to have a good time to get to the next day of fun. Our lake has also been open and closed three times. It is odd walking in the woods this time of year and thinking how much it looks like spring.

In Nor-Cal we are 8" behind in rainfall this year, only 5.5" to date... my sprinklers are still turned on for my lawn, very little snowfall in the Sierras. It appears we are heading for a drought this summer, or at least in water conservation mode. Maybe we will see a wet March and April.... at least, let us hope!

here in the detroit area it has been crazy mild as well.

less than 100 miles on the sled - usually 1000 by now.

shoveled the driveway once.

lake is completely open and even saw a fishing boat on it on that 65 degree day we had in January.

thinking i'll be putting the boat in early as well.

If you're looking for snow check out Cordova Alaska or Europe.

Europe had a mild winter last year, while we got hammered and now the opposite is happening.

If you're looking for snow check out Cordova Alaska or Europe.

Europe had a mild winter last year, while we got hammered and now the opposite is happening.

Yeah, I was reading about this the other day. Its not global warming, more of a global shift in weather patterns.

no snow, and TWO winter wildfires that each consumed 20+ homes. My lawn is so dry I think it might spontaneously combust. Nearly zero snow in the mountains and I've only been up to snowboard twice (softies only, glasslake -- I don't trust the thin base with a carving stick), and that's only to rationalize my season pass.

This has been like the winter that never happened.

Edited by shawndoggy

Just bit milder than normal....Ski Resort has 174" of snow for the season....typically we are well over 200" by early Feb and fast approaching 300". Temps are a bit warmer than normal for this time of year. Just hoping winter doesn't decide to show up in early April :biggrin: