Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfboard Build

CincyVLX

So after seeing Cowwboy's build thread, McMiller and I decided that we would like to take on the project of making our own wakesurf board as well.

McMiller is the designer of our project since he is a Industrial Designer during the day time. We based much of our design on his inland surfer board, but made some changes that we thought should give a better ride. The tail has a little rise in it, the board is slightly narrower, and the nose has a little more aggressive point.

We contructed a hot wire cutter that cuts the foam using a guitar string essentially connected to a battery charger to make it hot. We made our templates for the hot wire to follow, then lit it up and cut the top and bottom.

Of course since we all like pictures:

This is our base foam next to his IS board:

BASEFOAMPIC.jpg

Templates are cut out and contruction begins:

TemplatesCut.jpg

Our hotwire cutter is made:

HotWireComplete.jpg

Top Cut:

TopCut.jpg

Bottom Cut:

BottomCut.jpg

The next step is to make our top and bottom templates to cut the shape of the board. Once that is complete, we will begin sanding the board to our desired shape. Then the fiberglass begins!

Edited by CincyVLX

Those wood boards in the background look sweet. Did you build them?

I am jealous of you having a basement to work in. Not so weather dependant.

Can't wait to see the results!

Those wood boards in the background look sweet. Did you build them?

I am jealous of you having a basement to work in. Not so weather dependant.

Can't wait to see the results!

The wood board is a Ronix Frontier from a few years ago. They also sold bindings that looked like moccasins!

Do you have any insight on cheap traction pads? :)

Traction pads are kind of expensive everywhere. I lucked out on some from xxx as left overs on ebay. They may have some but it's kind of a short set up.

I know lake wakes had some left overs he was selling off his facebook page.

I also remember someone talking about using cork. Maybe like the stuff they line kitchen drawers with?

On my first board the first two times I used it we just used surf wax. It gave enough grip to know if the board was worth putting traction on or was going to be a decoration.

What fin boxes will you be using?

Traction pads are kind of expensive everywhere. I lucked out on some from xxx as left overs on ebay. They may have some but it's kind of a short set up.

I know lake wakes had some left overs he was selling off his facebook page.

I also remember someone talking about using cork. Maybe like the stuff they line kitchen drawers with?

On my first board the first two times I used it we just used surf wax. It gave enough grip to know if the board was worth putting traction on or was going to be a decoration.

What fin boxes will you be using?

We were also thinking of using surfboard wax the first couple times. Pretty sure that we will wait on the traction pads, but I just wanted to see if you had any insight.

We are using the Future White Rail Box 3/4" depth with the 3 1/2" SB1 fins.

Sounds like a plan!

The futures fin boxes aren't bad to hand router.

I just used a bit that was the width of the deep portion and used a straight edge to guide the router.

Then put the boxes in as far as they would go and traced the outer ring with a sharpie and routed out up to the mark.

They make it seem much harder in the install video and that you must use their jig.

I can't wait to see the pink board.

Edited by cowwboy

I can't wait to see the pink board.

HAHA. There is no way we would make a pink board! We have bought a dye for the resin that will make the board white in color. We also plan on making the bottom of the board have carbon fiber for the top finished layer.

The wood board is a Ronix Frontier from a few years ago. They also sold bindings that looked like moccasins!

Do you have any insight on cheap traction pads? :)

I love these types of projects, I may have some hydroturf that might work for you that I could donate if you're interested.

Cool build. My buddy and I made a foam cutter just like that for building "foamy" RC airplanes. He went nuts with it and it's now a CNC hot cutter that can make some pretty cool planes. Thumbup.gif I like the idea of using one for surfboard blanks too! Rockon.gif

Cowwboy- McMiller got the resin. I'm not sure what it is, but I'll take a look on our next night of working on it.

Ndawg- That would be awesome! PM sent!

The epoxy we plan on using is SS2000 UV resistant ultra clear from Surf Source.

Weekend Update:

Sunday afternoon allowed for a little more progress to be made. We made our top template and cut the board in to shape.

TopTemplate.jpg

FirstSideCut.jpg

After that, we began shaping the corners to make it actually look like a surfboard. Using an orbital sander and a cordless drill we putting curves on our blank.

UnfinishedSide.jpg

SandedSide.jpg

All we need to do is finish our sanding, then on to prep for fiberglass.

• 2 months later...

A little bit of an update:

Since the weather is getting warmer. It's finally time to finish up our project. Last weekend we laid 3 coats of glass (2 top, 1 bottom). Each layer is 7oz. sheeting. Since the blank is pink, we used the surf source white pigment so we aren't out there surfing a pink board.

Top:

WhiteGlassedTop.jpg

Bottom:

WhiteGlassedBottom.jpg

We will be doing the fin boxes Wednesday night and then laying our hot coats and carbon fiber bottom this weekend. We are hoping to have it ready to surf by next week!

Fins are In!

1. We cut out the fin box tops so the boxes will sit flush with the bottom of the board

FinsCut1.jpg

2. Routed out the rest of the fin boxes and ready to test fit

FinsCut2.jpg

3. Cut our carbon fiber bottom and mixed glass. Ready to set the boxes

FinsReadytoDropIn.jpg

4. Boxes are in and carbon fiber is glassed. We learned the hard way that carbon fiber is not easy to work with. Looks like a lot of sanding and possibly painting the board could be in order. We are going to just ride it ugly first to make sure it rides well. Paint might be the final step into making it look presentable.

BoardBottomFinished.jpg

Oh wow,

Normally the fin boxes are under the glass.

You'll have to let me know how it rides and holds up like that.

So is there carbon on both sides or just the bottom?

Can't wait for the results!!

Oh wow,

Normally the fin boxes are under the glass.

You'll have to let me know how it rides and holds up like that.

So is there carbon on both sides or just the bottom?

Can't wait for the results!!

That is only one layer of 7oz sheeting that we routed in to place the fin boxes. The carbon fiber was layed over them and still need a hot coat and gloss coat. They are flush with the fiberglass layer and we are under the impression that they will be completely flush once all construction is finished.

The carbon fiber will only be on the bottom side of the board. The top will be all white with black hydro turf for track pads thanks to Ndawg.

Should be ready to ride after a little work this weekend!

Well, It's finished!

We haven't tested it yet because we didn't finish until later on last night. Hoping to take it for the first ride next weekend. Cosmetically, it's not beautiful, but I'm pretty sure it will be more than functional. For our first build, I'm pretty impressed with the results.

Finished Bottom:

FinishedBottom.jpg

Finished Top:

FinishedTop.jpg

Again Thanks to Ndawg for the hydro turf!

Finally got out this weekend!

The board surfed very well. I didn't have the full weight in the boat. Only factory ballast, wedge, and 3 people in the boat. Will have a much better wave to surf in a couple weeks for a full report.

Overall I was impressed with the board. It tracked very well and was responsive enough to be able to move around. Definitely not a slasher, but a great cruiser board for learning to surf.

It was a really cool feeling to be able to ride something that McMiller and I built in his basement. Can't wait to get back out for a full weekend in two weeks.

FinallySurfing.jpg