Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Lx Vs. Response Lxi

madfalker

Looking to buy a response LX bowrider or LXI, just curious as to what the opinions are out there, I know that they both have the same hull but with the LXI being a little bigger is there a noticeable difference in the slalom wake or is it worth sacrificing the extra room (walk thru bow as opposed to climb over) for the difference in wake if there is one? Thanks in advance for any input or advice you can give, we have owned a couple other boats and want to make sure we get the right one this time. I am interested in opinions from people with kids as to the pros and cons of the LX bowrider with the climb over access. We will be using it 90% of the time for slalom (for the wife and I) and the rest for pullng the groms (skiers in training). Ultimately what we are looking for is a easy handling family boat with adequate room for the 4 of us out on the water and most importantly a butter smooth wake. THANKS AGAIN!!!

No experience w/ the climb over....but very happy w/ my RLXi. If not aware, first rendition arrived in 2003 and ran thru 2006 , redesigned in 2007. Aside from an occasional chili-dip of the bow, it is a great all around boat for our needs ( 10 &13 yo kids, plus a dog). The girls generally ride up front when cruising the lake.

I'm very pleased w/ the size and softness of the wake. To lighten the load and improve an already great wake, I took the Wedge off since I never use it, and will pop the backseat out when out for serious skiing.

My 13 yo is the type that is always after the "latest and greatest"....it is very refreshing when she tells me that there is not another boat out there that she would rather have.

• Like 1

Response LX= best malibu slalom boat built with open bow

Response LXi= family friendly slalom boat

I have always thought about this too as I will have this dilema one day. My brothers and I are huge barefooters and slalom skiers and the only reason why we have a wakesetter is because my parents wanted a v-drive and don't understand the importance of the wake. I love the look of the LXi's and the TXi's even more but i lean more toward the RLX. This may be due to the barefoot wake but the slalom wake on a RLX is better in my opinion. The LXi (04-06 hull) has a bigger wake size but its quite soft. Softest wake i have ever skied on. The RLX is just a bit firmer but is noticably smaller but don't quote me on the RLX because I haven't skied behind one in 3 years. I'm not a big fan of the walk over windshield design but that does allow for some more storage on the RLX. I'm not sure about what line lengths are good and bad as i usually ski 22-35 off out of the course.

I think that a family of 4 that wants an excellent wake should go for a response lx. Chances are you will have only 3 people in the boat half of the time and if you have 4, 2 people on the bench, one driver, and a skier. Or put 1 up the the bow. Drive and Ski them both. Either way, I don't think you will be disapointed, your in a malibu.

Can't loose with either ski wake, but when I demo'd and delivered Malibus (and Cobalts) for a local dealer, the playpen/walkover could be kind awkward when people are getting on board... but what do I know, I'm a closed-bow kind of guy... Definitely demo/ski behind them both if you can, or give both a walk-thru (or walk-over) if possible.

It might come down to personal taste on the wake, both the LXi and RLX are very good. As noted, the LXi is slightly softer and also has less of a dip at short line length's (35-38+). The LXi is slightly wider but that does not make much difference but there is a subtle difference in the hull due to width. The LXi is certainly not as proficient a barefoot boat as the RLX which is one of the best inboard DD barefoot boats (next to a Sanger). The LXi will be roomier and offer the walk thru bow access. I would make sure the one you select does have PP or ZO and not the Malibu version of speed control. If you are looking at new, the TXi is the boat of choice for slalom, it is very nice and the longer line bump 15-22 has been reduced significantly, the short line wake is excellent.

Here's an older thread about the same thing and some good feedback:

I just went through the same thing. I really wanted to talk myself in to an Response LX, but given our potential use habits I picked the RLXi. I'm not too concerned about wake differences. Even if you assume the RLX has an edge (which as mentioned can be debatable), the RLXi has a good enough wake where the it will be the least of my slalom skiing issues. The RLXi is bigger and has more room, has a bit more storage, and is just going to be more comfortable for any outing that's not just some slalom pulls. We sometimes just spend time out on the water, plus I need to be able to fit a good portion of my brother in law's family of 6 (plus ours) on occasion. I know there are plenty of families with boats like the RLX (or smaller closed bows) and they make it work just fine, I just don't think it would be as practical (for us) in an RLX. (it was veto'd by the wife anyway :whistle: )

If there is a smaller budget involved, all things being equal an RLX is going to be cheaper which may push it up the totem pole depending on your other requirements.

Edited by poski

Madfalker, in 2009 I upgraded my first boat (an Australian built Gilflite Shortline 190) to my present Australian 2005 Response LXi.

I can tell you that I am just delighted witht he RLXi. We are open river recreational slalom skiers and we love the wake as does anyone else who skis behind it. I think in this regard the record of both the boats you are considering speaks for themselves. One of the clear RLXi advantages for us is, because we park nose-in at the river bank, access is just so easy - step off the dry bank straight into the bow and walk through to the main cabin. Our usual ski crew is mid fifties through early seventies vintage and it's just so easy for us to access. I would never let anyone step accross the deck of my Gilflite so access was always more difficult with it.

In addition to that, the boat is a beautiful thing to use and I love it. Searched around to find one that I liked - had to have Monsoon 340 and NO tower among other things like white trailer and favorable colour scheme. I continually get comments about how nice the boat looks and those that come and use it love it too. Personally, I think it was the peak of Malibu design aesthetics with a fabulous, integrated classic look. 2007 got too fussy and I dont need or fancy all the overhead scaffolding that adorns most boats now...

So, my opinion would be, unless the apparently tiny improvement in RLX wake is crucial, the useability and comfort of the RLXi is well worth it.

Perhaps this has been of interest to you...

Regards, Stephen.

Response CB/Lx 1999 to 2012+ Legend!

Response Lxi 2003 to 2006 then changed 2007 to 2011 great boat but no longer built?

Great replacement Response Txi!

Edited by CumminsBu

Response CB/Lx 1999 to 2012+ Legend!

Response Lxi 2003 to 2006 then changed 2007 to 2011 great boat but no longer built?

Great replacement Response Txi!

I'd add the 1998 to the legend status. Same diamond hull just no trunk, the desirability of which is up for debate.

As a former owner of a 99 rlx, a 05 rlxi and currently have a 2005 response (club) and 98 response (personal), if you need room for 4, lxi probably the better choice. However, if looking at an 03-06 rlxi, you will need to be vigilant about not dropping the bow, even with just kids up there. The response lx is not nearly as dip prone. As for wakes, CB and LX are obviously the same and are a little crisper and better defined than the lxi which is a tad softer. At shorter line lengths (32 and up) I think there is a bit more of a troughy feel to the lx. However, I think the lx tracks a little better than the lxi. But, if you're just pulling kids and you're not in the course, you wouldn't tell the difference and you won't be disappointed with either, I promise.

Your two skiers in training will soon be mandating that they each bring a friend or girlfriend/boyfriend along for the ride so your crew count will be 6 in short order. The larger front area of the LXi will then be critical -- also get a jump seat for the walkthru area it really helps with seating comfort. My ski group has a 2002 RLX, my 2003 RLXi, and a 2007 RLXi. 15 off line length there doesnt seem to be much difference, the RLXi's have larger bumps at 22 off, and anything shorter (most of us ski 28 off)the RLXi's seem to have better wakes. We had the same questions/concerns when buying our 2003 and after just sitting in both of them at Peter's showroom, we quickly decided on the RLXi.

We went through the exact same questions just about a year ago. We decided on the RLXI and the open bow was a big reason for that. Like you, we had two kids to be aware of (5 and 3 at the time) and found that the RLXI provided greater comfort, depth and all around on board safety for us. Lots of time it is the four of us but we have also been out with another couple and their two kids and we had no space issues at all. The wake is great, there is lots of storage, and we find nice flexiblity on the boat as we even surf from time to time.

Edited by canski27

If you are talking used.

In the Pacific Northwest there are plenty of Response Lx for sale.

What a great boat from strictly a skier's point of view.

But the walkover bulkhead is a hindrance.

The Response LXI is the best boat Malibu makes for my taste.

The advantage of the walk through is big if you have four aboard.

But around here you do not find them available, used. And if you do they are high priced.

A very good compromise is a Mastercraft Pro Star 197 open bow.

Outstanding ski tow boat and the center seat cushion folds out of the way for bow access.

They are all top flite.

If you can swing it; first an RLXI, then a PS197, and last an RLX if you have 4 or more.

For 3 an RLX is adequate and it is a couple of miles an hour faster , and quicker out of the chute.

Edited by DONTW8

If you are talking used.

In the Pacific Northwest there are plenty of Response Lx for sale.

What a great boat from strictly a skier's point of view.

But the walkover bulkhead is a hindrance.

The Response LXI is the best boat Malibu makes for my taste.

The advantage of the walk through is big if you have four aboard.

But around here you do not find them available, used. And if you do they are high priced.

A very good compromise is a Mastercraft Pro Star 197 open bow.

Outstanding ski tow boat and the center seat cushion folds out of the way for bow access.

They are all top flite.

If you can swing it; first an RLXI, then a PS197, and last an RLX if you have 4 or more.

For 3 an RLX is adequate and it is a couple of miles an hour faster , and quicker out of the chute.

w8, you say that used rlxis are pricey in your area but then rec a 197? So you're saying that a 197 is priced less than comparable lxi's? If so, I don't know that that holds true in much of the country. 197s are easily a 25 % premium in my area. If OP can find a 197 for the same price of an lxi, he should buy it for the mere value.

Most of the subtle skiing differences have been covered here already and I agree with them. The thing to remember is that after you decide on a boat, that's what you have to ski with and you forget all about the differences that were so important when you were looking for a boat. You need to decide for youself the capacity of the crew you will be taking out in the next 5 yrs. If it's more than 3 people- look at the RLXi only for the room that it offers. If it's only going to be 3 of you then you can look at the RLX or the RLXi. 98% of the people out there aren't going to notice any difference in wake between these boats if they were to ski them one after the other. If you get to the level that you can tell the difference than you will be in a position for a different boat by then anyway.

The big factors I think to look at for a boat purchase are:

1 Condition of boat and care giving to boat by previous owner

2. Condition of trailer

3. The only thing I think you really need to decide on your direction is how many people you want to carry on board.

- 3 of you and you wil be fine on either RLX or RLXi

- 3 or more and I would recommend the RLXi

good luck!

When I was shopping a few years ago I was surprised to find how much less an rlxi was east of the mississipi than in Oregon or Washington.

That was my practical experience.

What I found is that the RLXI was selling at a premium to the PS 197 in my area.

Very few RLXI for sale.

My best guess is that there may have been more RLXI manufactured in Tennessee than in California ?

The LX has been manufactured for a long time and are plentiful in Oregon & Washington.

I have not been looking for a couple of years as I am content to tow the PS 197 and the Sunsetter to Lake Billy. Our crew member that has the RLX has moved on to Kalispel. I no longer volunteer my towing / trailering efforts to them. :lol:

Edited by DONTW8
  • 11 months later...

It doesn't seem to matter which big ticket item your buying, car, BOAT, just about every toy, the prices on the west coast are higher than the east coast and north is more expensive than south. Step across the 49th parallel and pay even more.

we have a 2001 lx, 2 kids....9 and 7. I have skied both lx and lxi, lx is significantly better, and at slower speeds the lx has a noticeably smaller wake for kids. The play pen step over is fine for the kids and and even ourselves for getting in and out of. I wouldn't recommend letting the kids up there when skiing. The larger open bow is nicer for family use, but the lx serves us well and I wouldnt trade mine for a newer LXI because of the drop in the wake quality. We find the LX has plenty of room for our needs. The LXI still has decent wakes, there just not the calibre of the LX. It comes down to what you feel you need for space and budget. The newer used LX's are definately harder to find.

we have a 2001 lx, 2 kids....9 and 7. I have skied both lx and lxi, lx is significantly better, and at slower speeds the lx has a noticeably smaller wake for kids. The play pen step over is fine for the kids and and even ourselves for getting in and out of. I wouldn't recommend letting the kids up there when skiing. The larger open bow is nicer for family use, but the lx serves us well and I wouldnt trade mine for a newer LXI because of the drop in the wake quality. We find the LX has plenty of room for our needs. The LXI still has decent wakes, there just not the calibre of the LX. It comes down to what you feel you need for space and budget. The newer used LX's are definately harder to find.

Are you sure you're talking about a response lxi? The one that tows nationals and is the preferred choice of all Malibu's team skiers?

I'm a little bit biased. Have a close look at the TXi, you having a family, the walk through bow will also be a pleasure to have. Malibu brought out the TXi Responce with a more wetted hull for a more flatened and soft ski wake in comparison to all the past response models.. All the best on your boat purchase. =)

The big complaint about the lxi and the reason they came out with the txi was because if the problem with the big wake at slower speeds and longer line, the lxi was better at shorter lines. The lx didn't have this problem because it is lighter and therefore displaces less water. Malibu stopped pushing the lx because there was more of a market for the walk thru family boats. A pro skier that I went to said he would have preferred to have the lx, but it wasn't awsa approved so it wasn't good for business