Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Lx Vs. Response Lxi

madfalker

• 6 years later...

so our friends picked up a 2003 lxi . we love the wake so much we want one . went and skied behind an lx. the wake had quite a drop. is there that much difference in the wakes . seller did have a full tank of gas also. we are moving from a 1991 supra conbrio 

45 minutes ago, Tonymacomb said:

so our friends picked up a 2003 lxi . we love the wake so much we want one . went and skied behind an lx. the wake had quite a drop. is there that much difference in the wakes . seller did have a full tank of gas also. we are moving from a 1991 supra conbrio 

Either the lx or lxi I’ll be an improvement .  

Yeah, the LX is a bit more sensitive to weight in the back than the LXi.

I’m on the same hull (in the CB version) and never ever have more than about 30% of fuel if I plan on skiing the boat. My backseat found it’s home in the garage the day I bought the boat and I make sure to keep heavy stuff out of the boat or store it under the passenger seat or under the bow and not in the trunk.

I skied an 04 LXi quite a bit until 2 years ago and the wake (I can only speak for 34mph, 15off through 32off) feels pretty similar. The LXi wake might be a tad bit wider, but that’s all I noticed.

@Tonymacomb- the LXI has a wider hull and a larger chine thus you are probably noticing the softer aspect of the LXI wake compared to the LX.  Additional items that do make a difference are how much gas, stuff or basically weight is at the transom of either boat.  LX's are sensitive to rear weight so make sure you are doing an apples to apples comparison.  LX wakes are a bit firmer and the edges of the wakes do have a bit sharper transition.  LX is a lighter boat.  As noted, props can make a difference in the wake table, the Acme 515 is the general go to prop for this boat at lower altitudes (including Michigan).  You noted 'drop' in your LX description, can you be more specific including speed and line length?

My RLX is sensitive to weighting.  It has a better wake with two adults in it than with just a driver.  I also have about 80 lbs under the bow bench seat as I've found that helps as well.  As others have mentioned, less gas = better wake also.

I ski my boat back to back with MC Skier 19 (one of their best ever hulls) and a MC 197 quite frequently.  The Skier19 might be a tiny bit better at 28 off, but barely noticeable and the boat is tiny.  My Response is better than the 197 at pretty much all lengths.  Haven't skied an LXi in a long time but back when I was skiing 15 off regularly, I liked it better than the RLX.  I spend most of my time at 28 or shorter now.

For a family of 4 I would recommend the LXI.  I own an 06 LXI (350 monsoon) and regularly ski behind an LX (with the hammerhead motor), I prefer the LXI for additional space, and the ski wake.  I agree with wood ski as the LX wake is a bit firmer vs the LXi.  I may prefer the LXI wake because I'm biased and own one....but either way they are very comparable.  For a family I feel like the additional width and length of the LXI would be important, especially when they invite friends out on the water.  The size helps keep people off each other, and are able to accommodate more gear.  Also the LXI OB is more versatile and usable vs the LX.  I was specifically looking for an 03-06 LXI or TXI 12+.  Heard the 07-11 LXi wake was not as good as the 1st gen.  Very happy with the 06 I found a few years back.

• 11 months later...

Great comments. I'm a skier - 34mph at 35 off. I'm looking at an '05 Lxi - 900 hours. $16,000. Seems like a bargain. Interior in good condition. Trailer needs bunks and paint.  What should I be concerned about?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, Craigssmith99 said:

Great comments. I'm a skier - 34mph at 35 off. I'm looking at an '05 Lxi - 900 hours. $16,000. Seems like a bargain. Interior in good condition. Trailer needs bunks and paint.  What should I be concerned about?  

Thanks

lake test and a compression test are my minimum for buying a boat.    maintenance history is always important

4 hours ago, Craigssmith99 said:

Thanks

That's a steal. Accidentally bump the shifter arm off the transmission and it won't start. Then offer 10K. :)

4 hours ago, Craigssmith99 said:

Thanks

Great deal if the boat is in good condition.  On a 2005, I'd grab the engine serial number and email Larry at Indmar to find out if that particular engine is one with a bad bell housing.  Presumably if it has 900 hours on it, it's fine or it's been replaced already.

Great comments guys. Made me laugh at bumping the shifter 😂 Great insight regarding the bell housing - had no idea. 

The boat is in the LA area. I know it's a long shot, do you know of a good malibu mechanic in the area to undertake the compression test and check the boat and trailer out?

thanks!