Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf & Prop Rotation

Flamingturbo

Does the direction of prop rotation have much of an impact on the wave for wakesurfing, if so which is the better side for a Malibu V-Drive.

Seem to be getting a bit cleaner wave on the right side.

Only new to this and still trying to get set-up sorted so any help much appreciated (yes son should have had a vest on and normally does, it was his decision this time to ride without)

6828921161_01d1e2f0d0_b.jpg

Edited by Flamingturbo

Does the direction of prop rotation have much of an impact on the wave for wakesurfing, if so which is the better side for a Malibu V-Drive.

Seem to be getting a bit cleaner wave on the right side.

Only new to this and still trying to get set-up sorted so any help much appreciated (yes son should have had a vest on and normally does, it was his decision this time to ride without)

I'm new to it too, but for starters the rider is facing the wrong way, should be toe side into the wake.

I often ride heel side on others boats....and often others on my boat...because its a huge PITA to switch over all the ballast for just a quick ride.

Heel side is tough..guys who can rip heelside are good! The bu's seem to be better on starboard or "right side" as you have called it.

I'm new to it too, but for starters the rider is facing the wrong way, should be toe side into the wake.

Sorry, that's the first I've heard about the heelside...

<<<I feel like a jerk!

No offence taken, valid point for most people, but son prefers to ride heelside, even wierder he single skis right foot forward, surfs left foot forward.

Other son also prefers that side of the boat too and he is also left foot forward.

Edited by Flamingturbo

No offence taken, valid point for most people, but son prefers to ride heelside, even wierder he single skis right foot forward, surfs left foot forward.

Other son also prefers that side of the boat too and he is also left foot forward.

Dang....that one is wild! Crazy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So just for my benefit, why does the prop rotating effect the wake shape? When i first heard Centurion touting about how they have the reverse rotation to make the wake better I thought they were blowing smoke (how many times have you heard how a wake plate will help shape the wake and it does nothing when you try it out).

So lets talk physics. Is the idea that you want to rotation of the prop blast to go "with the curl"?

In other words if you were in the boat watching someone surf port (left) side. When you are looking at the curl *from the boat*, to you that's a clockwise rotating curl. If you watched someone riding on the starboard (right) side, the curl would be rotating counterclockwise. Is the idea that you want the prop blast rotating such that it goes with this rotation or against it?

The prop rotation naturally drops one side of the boat and lifts the other. Think about if you could grab the prop and hold it still and let the boat spin on the shaft (uh don't try that at home).

Thanks everyone for the feedback and explanations, just wanting to make the best cleanest wave possible as we only use stock ballast.