Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Underwater Lights Project Vtx

h2ojunkie

Have my Aqualeds underwater trasnsom lights and have a question for fellow Mailbu owners on best mounting location. Some I have seen factory mounted are up above exhaust but with wedge in up position it would seem to block alot of the light projection. Have seen a few OEM's mounted more to the outside of the boat, not sure if it was factory done or not. If I move more to the outside to be "away" from the wedge,seems like it may be hard to get to the wire fed thru the hull as I have the built in ballast tanks in the corners and that location looks hard to "find" and fish wire thru. I have the plate removed to get to the ballast pumps but still looks like it may be difficult to get wire thru there without possibly putting a hole in ballast tank or even being able to grab wire in there. Anyone have experience with this and any feedback/tips appreciated.

(Would like to post pics of the led pods I'm using but can't get it to work,sorry)

Have my Aqualeds underwater trasnsom lights and have a question for fellow Mailbu owners on best mounting location. Some I have seen factory mounted are up above exhaust but with wedge in up position it would seem to block alot of the light projection. Have seen a few OEM's mounted more to the outside of the boat, not sure if it was factory done or not. If I move more to the outside to be "away" from the wedge,seems like it may be hard to get to the wire fed thru the hull as I have the built in ballast tanks in the corners and that location looks hard to "find" and fish wire thru. I have the plate removed to get to the ballast pumps but still looks like it may be difficult to get wire thru there without possibly putting a hole in ballast tank or even being able to grab wire in there. Anyone have experience with this and any feedback/tips appreciated.

(Would like to post pics of the led pods I'm using but can't get it to work,sorry)

Here is where they came mounted from the factory on my '11 VLX.... when they are on it puts plenty of light out under the platform with the wedge in the up position. Not sure how much more light you would get moving them outside more? Assuming the factory mounts them here for clearance and access.

VLX_5.jpg

Thanks Ronnie, looked it over again and looks like there is no issue with tank clearance but willl have to look out for the ballast pump. I think just outside of exhaust and between swim deck is best spot for me on my VTX, clears the wedge and looks like I can get wires thru without much issues hopefullyLight spread should be ggod there as well according to many pics I have seen. First time doin this type of project on a boat and want to make sure I have tips ect,,, so I don't mess it up. Any tips ect.. appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Water test pic of the Aqualed's lights, pleased even tho water is very murky at the lake due to silt removal all over the lake,especially the marina area I was in,but still pleased.

Has anyone painted the bottom of their swim deck for more reflection? (Silver or white) Seems that would help dispurse light nicely. Test was done with lights mounted to board and lowered into the water from docks,pic is the down view from above.

post-16835-0-95797100-1329363340_thumb.j

Edited by h2ojunkie

I'm looking forward to your results. I've been debating which ones and some of the pics I've seen have me interested, especially at the price point for how bright they are. I'me curious to see the light output with them mounted above the exhaust ports with the wedge coming into play. I was thinking right outside the exhaust port.

I've actually been checking daily to see if you had completed this project, I'm excited for the results! :thumbup:

Alot of things have gotten in the way lately. Also, we probably won't get on the water for another month or so. I too wanted to put them out side of the exhaust port but the light pattern looks pretty good at distance with them above the exhaust ports. Moved then on the board to location near platform mounts and pattern suffered some "lobbing" effect, looks like to me , 3 of these would be optimum, middle and then one each by the paltrform mount. I can't put mine where Ronnie did, no access due to tanks floor ect..besty I can due would be a bezel mount angled a bit but I think the two above the exhaust ports will put out plenty of light. I tested the beams on my barn floor(concrete) and the beam went out 40'

Pic is not great,real hard to tell but good quality pattern of light extends 40'min out into my driveway. Can't get pic to upload yet,will add later,sorry.

Edited by h2ojunkie

3 3/8"w x 2"h I sent a "suggestion" to them as well for the specs on the site. You woulda thought....

What did you guys think of the pattern? I could only get the "water" test board about 2" underwater, I thought I put enough weight on the board but it kept wanting to tilt/flip over.That put the modules about 3 1/2" under the surface. I would have tried to add some more weight but it started to rain pretty hard,so like NASA, I ran back to truck and "rethunk" my tests and results. Thinking it would be easy enough to add a third module if I ever decide I need more but thinkin the pattern looks pretty good and in better water clarity it should be fine.

Edited by h2ojunkie
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, it does block some of the light when up as we see it on the wall of my barn. When lowered some the pattern is great. Sholud be fine tho. The paint on the swimdeck helps the light projection tho,can't wait to see it on the water, well,,, I just can't wait to be on the water period. Also just got done putting in the tower lights, two LED floods form Bakes, 3 adjustments for intensity, love em. Will be perfect for night surfing. Briing on the summer heat,,, and the bikinis :)

What paint did you use on the bottom of the swim step? Do you think it made that much of a difference? I can't wait to get mine, wife has had me wait till next month for my birthday as I always buy everything and she gets mad she has nothing to get me :). I have ordered some more LEDs to place inside the boat and speaker rings, just need the boat back so I can get installs done in time for summer!

Great job on the lights. Can't wait to see water pics. Any tips or advise on the install?

wakebrd94, PM me and we can swap numbers for a call on the project. I used Interlux Brightsides Polyeurothane paint that I picked up local. I made the test board and decided alot of light was there to be reflected so I spray painted cardboard test piece. It was amazing how much more light was reflected over the barn floor and wall (all concrete). I accidentally erased the pics of that test tho. I went ahead and painted the bottom of the deck,looks cleaner and should act as reflector even when the lights are underwater, certainly can't hurt. The spot above the exhaust ports is easiest to mount. If I went outside of that I ran into some issues of getting wires ran easily ect... Someday I may put two more out by swim platform mounts but this should be fine for what we want. Use the 3M Underwater adhesive, fast set, 4200 or 5200 I believe. ( Tell your wife not to worry bout the gifts ect... she's the decor on the boat,thats gift enough :) )