Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

shipping

blake0401

does anyone have any advice on how to ship a bimini cover the cheapest. I went to one of those postal annex places and they wanted 65.00 to ship one from oregon to minnesota. I have shipped entire kayaks for 75.00 before. Any ideas from anyone who sells things and ships them. Thanks Blake

UPS stores and the like have an added markup. Try to find the nearest distribution center for UPS or FEDEX near you. You will save by driving the item there and shipping it.

for example look up staffed UPS customer centers on UPS.com.

I think that would be the best way to go.

I often find Fedex Ground to be the cheapest. Check their web site for the nearest location and make sure you specify Ground. You can do the calculation on the web site (www.fedex.com) so you know what it is going to cost before you take it to the store (Kinkos).

/Steve

I often find Fedex Ground to be the cheapest. Check their web site for the nearest location and make sure you specify Ground. You can do the calculation on the web site (www.fedex.com) so you know what it is going to cost before you take it to the store (Kinkos).

/Steve

I'll agree. My experience is that with larger, bulky shipments, Fedex is much cheaper than UPS. But for me, UPS is much more convenient. So it has to be pretty big for it to be worth the drive for me to use Fedex. But on some of my shipments, the savings is pretty significant. Now for small parcel packages (<1lb), I think US Postal turns out quite a bit cheaper.

Blake,

$65 actually doesn't sound that bad. I bought one off of Malibudude a few years back and UPS wouldn't even take it from him due to the size. I had to "trick" UPS into taking it by sending a call tag out for it. I think it ended up costing me around $60 and that was with delivery to a business rather than residential.

Mike

If this is just a cover, roll it up as tight as possible and throw it in a box. From my experience in selling a lot of items on ebay and shipping them, this shouldnt cost your more than $10 to $12 from FedEx ground via FedEx/Kinko's.

Edited by Henken

You really want to have some fun fold it up real nice, put it in a plastic bag and then stick the vacuum in there to suck it down super small. (the bimini might not shrink as small as a pillow would but it's still a cool trick nevertheless.) You will have to tie off the end when you remove the vacuum or it will just blow back up. Crazy.gif

I just shipped a 6 hp outboard motor and fuel tank (2 boxes) from Ohio to Georgia for under $50.00. The price you quote is very high to me.

I sold my old bimini to a guy in Texas (I am in Michigan). I used Greyhound. I had to go to the Greyhound bus station and the guy had to pick it up at the Greyhound bus station closest to him, but it was very cheap. I don't remember the cost but it seems like maybe $20 or so. Plus I didn't need a box, just wrapped it in shrink wrap.

QUOTE(BlastRlxi @ Jan 26 2006, 07:31 AM)

I just shipped a 6 hp outboard motor and fuel tank (2 boxes) from Ohio to Georgia for under $50.00. The price you quote is very high to me.

Who'd you use to ship?

Used UPS Ground. Also had the motor boxed up and sent through a UPS store.