Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump Not Getting Power Help!

Bradley Thornton

If this was for a car I would have it but the boat is new to me and I am still learning.

Ok the 35 amp breaker on the motor has power . The breaker under the radio has power this one says horn and ignition. What am I missing is their a fuse or a breaker or a relay just for the fuel pump does anyone have a wire diagram or know a web site. Can it have anything to do with the gas handle or any other safety switch. Also I will add that the 2006 V-Ride has a power wedge and that didn't come on a 06 so it must have been added later so could that have anything to do with it. At the end of the year it stuck me in the middle of the lake for like a hour and then just started working again so I am thinking relay or safety switch. Any help will be nice I am lost on a boat does the pump run off the ground like a car. Does it have a relay I am lost if just had a wire diagram I would be in heaven. :cry:

Edited by Bradley Thornton

double check that emergency shut-off switch even if the clip on the lanyard is engaged.

the switch itself can be a problem.

:plus1: and make sure you're in neutral...been there and done that :whistle: And research vaporlock for your issue last season.

When you key up the fuel pump doesnt make noise? It should prime for about 3 seconds and you can hear it, before you turn the key all the way to start. If it doesn't make noise AND your gauges are dead then it's probably your kill switch (kill switch also blanks gauges).

LOL, after having the no start probs on my boat, I've got the troubleshooting down!

Yeah,

It's too bad that I've never, ever had my boat not start.

Think of all the knowledge I'm missing out on. :biggrin:

Yes, there is a fuse and a relay dedicated to the fuel pump. The power for the fuel pump originates at the large (red buttoned) circuit breaker in the engine room, goes to the fuel pump's 20 amp fuse, then to the fuel pump relay, then to the pump. The control of the fuel pump relay is activated via the ECM by a green wire with a white stripe. The fuses and relays are mounted on the underside of the ECM cover, which is mounted on the back of the engine. The ECM turns the fuel pump relay on for two second when it sees an ignition input from the keyswitch (called keyup) and will turn it back on when it sees a distributor reference signal (input) from the distributor module. This happens during cranking and running of the engine. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 2

Yes, there is a fuse and a relay dedicated to the fuel pump. The power for the fuel pump originates at the large (red buttoned) circuit breaker in the engine room, goes to the fuel pump's 20 amp fuse, then to the fuel pump relay, then to the pump. The control of the fuse pump relay is activated via the ECM by a green wire with a white stripe. The fuses and relays are mounted on the underside of the ECM cover, which is mounted on the back of the engine. The ECM turns the fuel pump relay on for two second when it sees an ignition input from the keyswitch (called keyup) and will turn it back on when it sees a distributor reference signal (input) from the distributor module. This happens during cranking and running of the engine. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

good stuff. i'll add this to the 'no crank troubleshooting proc.'

seems that the proc is poorly named but i hate to change the name of the document at this point in time because renaming it will only add to the problem of finding it during a search.

Thanks for the help dash wasn't working looks like the safety switch wiggled it and the dash came on have one ordered. :clap:

No need to order a new one.

There is a bullet-proof fix for your current switch. :whistle:

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting this! Our V-Ride is a carbon copy of yours, color and tower too. I love that boat! My dash would not boot up either and thanks to your post I found it was the safety switch also. Best thing I love about our boat is a sick wake, pretty good fuel economy, and much less initial cost than a newer one. Happy riding!

• Like 1

double check that emergency shut-off switch even if the clip on the lanyard is engaged.

the switch itself can be a problem.

This is 100% correct. I have jumpered around my lanyard switch and have no more worries there.

Thanks for posting this! Our V-Ride is a carbon copy of yours, color and tower too. I love that boat! My dash would not boot up either and thanks to your post I found it was the safety switch also. Best thing I love about our boat is a sick wake, pretty good fuel economy, and much less initial cost than a newer one. Happy riding!

Sounds like the best boat ever made. :whistle: