Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unbelievable What The @#$%

smooth as glass

Hiya guys, after several sets with the new heads and more power, just ckd the oil cap and the milk is back. Dip stick is good. Thought maybe just some leftover condensation. So ran another set, but just to be sure drained a bit of oil and sure as @#$% just a fine line of milk. So no doubt I'm back to square one. Pulled plugs turned her over, no signs of moisture! I guess a leak down test? Just don't know ! Sure does take the wind out of your sails. Can't work on it this weekend. So lookin to next week with any ideas. The exhuast manifolds are still weeping from the logo Could I just be getting enough steam? maybe to create this moisture. :( :( :(

Edited by smooth as glass

Man that Stinks. It is always a big disapointment when a big project suffers a set back. Keep your head up and don't loose confidence. She ran strong, yes? You'll get her together again and without any milk.

I'm just an internet mechanic, but when ever I've read about freeze damage, I've read that usually the block and the heads crack and that the crack in the block usually happens "in the valley," under the intake manifold. I know you said that the motor never froze, but just wondering whether you've checked the whole block to make sure?

Man....what a bummer. Sorry to hear we've still got water in the oil. I feel for you and have been there after working long and hard to put a motor back together. Like REW said, keep you chin up, you'll get her fixed. Thumbup.gif

OK, now to find the source of moisture! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in your other thread the heads were pressure checked. If that's the case and the boat hasn't been exposed to freezing temps with water in the heads, we can assume the heads are not where oil and water are mixing. They have been replaced and we still have the original issue. The weeping exhaust could not cause your issue as no oil is anywhere near your exhaust manis.

This leaves two possibilities. One is the head gasket is leaking at the head/block surface at a water and oil passage and causing water to be injected into the oil and causing a repeat of the milky oil syndrome we saw earlier.

The second possibility is the block has a crack somewhere internally and water is being pushed through the crack and into an exhaust passage.

Scenario #1 is obviously the easier, much cheaper route and only involves pulling the heads and looking for evidence that there has been a breach across an oil and water passage.

The only other thing I could think of it somehow water is making it into your oil pan from the bilge (rusty oil pan and/or bad oil pan gasket). I think this is very unlikely. For it to happen your bilge would have to be VERY wet when on the water. I mean, the oil pan is partially submerged. If it is and water is making it into the pan, I would also suspect you would find traces of oil in the bilge.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you find.

Man....what a bummer. Sorry to hear we've still got water in the oil. I feel for you and have been there after working long and hard to put a motor back together. Like REW said, keep you chin up, you'll get her fixed. Thumbup.gif

OK, now to find the source of moisture! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in your other thread the heads were pressure checked. If that's the case and the boat hasn't been exposed to freezing temps with water in the heads, we can assume the heads are not where oil and water are mixing. They have been replaced and we still have the original issue. The weeping exhaust could not cause your issue as no oil is anywhere near your exhaust manis.

This leaves two possibilities. One is the head gasket is leaking at the head/block surface at a water and oil passage and causing water to be injected into the oil and causing a repeat of the milky oil syndrome we saw earlier.

Didn't you have a picture or two of damage on a water passage on one of the heads. You may need to refill (over fill) and hand machine back to flush.

Good Luck!

The second possibility is the block has a crack somewhere internally and water is being pushed through the crack and into an exhaust passage.

Scenario #1 is obviously the easier, much cheaper route and only involves pulling the heads and looking for evidence that there has been a breach across an oil and water passage.

The only other thing I could think of it somehow water is making it into your oil pan from the bilge (rusty oil pan and/or bad oil pan gasket). I think this is very unlikely. For it to happen your bilge would have to be VERY wet when on the water. I mean, the oil pan is partially submerged. If it is and water is making it into the pan, I would also suspect you would find traces of oil in the bilge.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you find.

This happened to me on one of my cars, I had the same symptoms, a little water in the oil and steam out the exhaust, I pulled the heads and had them pressure tested and they were fine, so I put it back together and after a bit same thing, So again I tore it down and had them tested again, The tech said that at first it held the pressure and then he moved them and bumped the heads and then it reviled the crack, Are theses new heads?? most of the time when you take them off they show some sort of breach if its a head gasket...Sorry I know its a pain and alot of work, Keeps us updated.

I didn't read the other thread but when your heads were pressure checked, did they also make sure they weren't somehow warped? If they are, they wouldn't be getting a good seal and could possibly cause your problem.

Very sorry to hear. Hang in there. I'm wondering now if there is an incorrect gasket somehwere. Or,

Off hand, does anyone know if there are like mini-freeze plugs, or entrances to a water jacket, inside the timing chain area? Just adjacent to the camshaft. Or, some set-screw kinda things in there?

I'm wondering if you have some kind of leak from a not obvious at all culprit.

Steve B.