Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking For Feedback On G3 Tower Sunbrella Cover

Fman

I am going to be dropping my boat off soon to have a G3 Tower cover made from Sunbrella material to help with bugs and sun damage while outside. I am looking for design ideas that I might implement into the cover. Here is what I have an idea for right now:

Color will be black sunbrella material

Possibly MALIBU logo on front hoop and side sections of tower

Velcro/snap strap combo on backside of stainless hoops

Bypass board racks

Bypass speakers (Rev 10) just use covers

Completely cover front G3 and rear hoop

Be able to fold tower down with cover on

Completely cover G3 bimini while stowed on tower with sunbrella cover

G3 Tower mirror bracket pocket cut-out/zipper

Anybody have any other thoughts or ideas? or maybe a picture with someone that has already down this.

Thanks.....

Edited by Fman

What did you use for the tower brace? Do you have any photos?

I used a one of those fake deck boards and cut it down and cut a U in the top. The cover was like 1200 bucks...you have to reenforce the sharp points on the tower edges and the tower ball.

I had a complete cover made for the boat with the G3 tower folded down...it rocks! :thumbup:

This will be specifically for the G3, seperate from the boat cover. Its purpose is for towing to prevent bugs for pelting the tower, and for protecting the tower when the boat is moored up or parked outside.

Is this what you did? Or is your incorporated into the boat cover?

This will be specifically for the G3, seperate from the boat cover. Its purpose is for towing to prevent bugs for pelting the tower, and for protecting the tower when the boat is moored up or parked outside.

Is this what you did? Or is your incorporated into the boat cover?

Its part of the boat cover so when its outside or in storage it covers everything....

I would think if your towing the sheer wind willl scratch the chrome part of the tower FWIW

You would have to do al ot of miles before that would scratch to bad. I know we put over 1000 miles towing my 2011 around and it has no marks on the tower at all. But the cover over the eintire tower is a great idea!

Its part of the boat cover so when its outside or in storage it covers everything....

Thats cool, but I am looking for a seperate cover from the boat cover...

I also want the option to leave it on the tower while on the water if desired and to not have to drop the tower down everytime I want to have it covered up. I think towing with the tower down might not be the best idea, or at least I have heard they dont recommend it. Most dealers (at least mine) dont even recommend towing with a boat cover on just because of friction from the wind and how it could damage or scratch the gelcoat/tower.

Subscribed, I would love to see how this turns out.

Have an appointment scheduled on Feb 14th, will be at his shop for about a week... I will snap some pics when its complete. We have some great ideas we are going to implement, and Ben always comes through with a great product. I am actually trying to design the cover so it could be ordered by anyone with a VLX and G3 Tower.

We will see how it turns out, keeping my fingers crossed! :rockon:

Kris,

I am so tired of cleaning bugs off my tower! And I am going keep my boat out on the side of my house this summer. I want the sun protection and bug protection. I used Costco plastic wrap last year, but what a pain in the butt... I kept telling my wife, this winter I am having a cover made.... Definitely want it seperate from the boat cover. If you have any other ideas please let me know. Only idea I am teetering on is how to incorporate the g3 mirror. I think I am going to have a seperate cover made for the mirror and arm. This will allow me to tow with or without the mirror on and be able to leave the cover on if desired on the water.

This was my original thoughts on the G3 cover.

"I would really love to have a cover that would fit around the front tube on the G3 tower. The rear bar doesn't seem to collect many bugs but a cover for that would be really easy with one long zipper. The cover would just wrap around the tube and have several zippers to keep it attached. It would need 3 short zippers on each side and a long zipper across the top. You would need one more zipper on each side if you wanted the cover to cover the black portion of the tower below the chrome tube (The boat cover takes care of that portion so it really wouldn't be needed). The material could be the same type as the speaker socks as that would have zero chance of rubbing on the tower while under tow. Sunbrella would also work as long as the fit was really good (Sunbrella may need a backing material).

What would the price need to be for you to buy one? There isn't a lot of material required but the seven (or nine) zippers would add some costs but the zippers wouldn't need to be heavy duty, the same as the boot for a Bimini top would be fine. I would think someone could make a good margin on this if the price was around $150 to $200. I would buy one for that price.

So here is the question. Who wants to make one of these. It would seem the likely candidates are Evolution Covers, Speaker Sox or Malibu.

Maybe if enough people would buy them someone would pattern and make one.

I hate cleaning bugs off the tower!!!!!"

I have also used the plastic wrap. I got mine from Uhaul and it was really cheap but it is a real pain to put on and off especially if you have tower speakers.

If 10 or more folks would buy something like this the pattern cost for a vendor would be next to nothing. I can't imagine dealers couldn't sell one of these with every G3 tower going out the door.

Fman, let us know where you end up with this. I am not going to go another summer with the plastic wrap.

Kris

This was my original thoughts on the G3 cover.

"I would really love to have a cover that would fit around the front tube on the G3 tower. The rear bar doesn't seem to collect many bugs but a cover for that would be really easy with one long zipper. The cover would just wrap around the tube and have several zippers to keep it attached. It would need 3 short zippers on each side and a long zipper across the top. You would need one more zipper on each side if you wanted the cover to cover the black portion of the tower below the chrome tube (The boat cover takes care of that portion so it really wouldn't be needed). The material could be the same type as the speaker socks as that would have zero chance of rubbing on the tower while under tow. Sunbrella would also work as long as the fit was really good (Sunbrella may need a backing material).

What would the price need to be for you to buy one? There isn't a lot of material required but the seven (or nine) zippers would add some costs but the zippers wouldn't need to be heavy duty, the same as the boot for a Bimini top would be fine. I would think someone could make a good margin on this if the price was around $150 to $200. I would buy one for that price.

So here is the question. Who wants to make one of these. It would seem the likely candidates are Evolution Covers, Speaker Sox or Malibu.

Maybe if enough people would buy them someone would pattern and make one.

I hate cleaning bugs off the tower!!!!!"

I have also used the plastic wrap. I got mine from Uhaul and it was really cheap but it is a real pain to put on and off especially if you have tower speakers.

If 10 or more folks would buy something like this the pattern cost for a vendor would be next to nothing. I can't imagine dealers couldn't sell one of these with every G3 tower going out the door.

Fman, let us know where you end up with this. I am not going to go another summer with the plastic wrap.

Kris

I am working with Ben on saving a pattern that could be created without the tower being at his shop. Definitely will be incorporating the rear hoop as well, I think the VTX and VLX tower are identical, and the LSV and 247 tower are only 2" wider because of the beam width. I dont think you will find a shop to make one for under $400, the labor is pretty extensive, I am guessing a full day project, if not more... and sunbrella material is not cheap, plus the heavy duty zippers also add up.

Edited by Fman