Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone Have The Rev8's?

liquidrider

Pulled the trigger on a new 23LSV and order a two pairs of the rev 8's with the westsounds eq. Read a lot about the rev 10's but not much about the rev 8's.

Pulled the trigger on a new 23LSV and order a two pairs of the rev 8's with the westsounds eq. Read a lot about the rev 10's but not much about the rev 8's.

congrats on your new boat, why would you just not go with the rev 10's?

the 10s are comically large (I know I've got two pair). the 8s probably look better proportionally on the G3.

David EM wrote a review of the 8s over on wakeworld when they came out (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787480 ).

I bet you'll like them if you power them right.

Edited by shawndoggy

Stereo guy recommended the REV 8 said the 10's look to big on the tower. I just went with what he said he does.

I think the Rev 10s look proportionally good on the G3, they tuck up nicely in the corner.... not sure about the MB Tower. I never have any clearance issues with people hitting there head on them, I don't know if you will see much difference between the Rev 8 and 10. Guess its personal preference and what you are going to like.

I am work today, tomorrow I am off, I will send you a few pics of them on my G3 tower....

If the boat listed for the OP is correct, he would be mounting these on the Illusion XS. The Rev 10's would drastically reduce headroom for the driver's seat and also look HUGE. I have two pair of 6.5" cans on my XS tower and I hit my head on them all the time when moving around the boat.

If the boat listed for the OP is correct, he would be mounting these on the Illusion XS. The Rev 10's would drastically reduce headroom for the driver's seat and also look HUGE. I have two pair of 6.5" cans on my XS tower and I hit my head on them all the time when moving around the boat.

Not really....I am 6'3" and have never hit my head. You would have to stand on the seats in the boat to get close enough to side to hit them. Nor is it an issue for the diver or passenger seat b/c the speakers are not directly mounted on top of them.

This is advice from someone who has a g/3 tower with Rev 10's

Edited by Murphy8166

He said "new" LSV, I am assuming this is a 2012 which will have the G3 Tower.

That's only one pair unless I miscounted? How do two pair of rev10s look on the G3? Remember the op asked about two pair...

Where does he ask about 2 pair of rev 10's?

My reading comprenhension skills are average at best and the only reference that he makes to the Rev10 is that the stereo guy told him to go with the Rev8's

"Pulled the trigger on a new 23LSV and order a two pairs of the rev 8's with the westsounds eq. Read a lot about the rev 10's but not much about the rev 8's."

"Stereo guy recommended the REV 8 said the 10's look to big on the tower. I just went with what he said he does."

Edited by Murphy8166

That's only one pair unless I miscounted? How do two pair of rev10s look on the G3? Remember the op asked about two pair...

The second pair would be mounted under the top pair in the corner area of the tower. There would be no speakers in the middle of the tower area for head clearance issues, although I have no pics of two pair mounted on the G3. Maybe someone else does?

Edited by Fman

Where does he ask about 2 pair of rev 10's?

My reading comprenhension skills are average at best and the only reference that he makes to the Rev10 is that the stereo guy told him to go with the Rev8's

"Pulled the trigger on a new 23LSV and order a two pairs of the rev 8's with the westsounds eq. Read a lot about the rev 10's but not much about the rev 8's."

"Stereo guy recommended the REV 8 said the 10's look to big on the tower. I just went with what he said he does."

I think you answered this on your own!

We have rev 8s on our tower powered by a syn 4. They sound amazing. I. Sure the rev 10s are a bit louder and have some more midbass. We originally ordered the 10s but the delay in production combined with a email to Tim White at Wet Sounds led us to going with the 8s. Just power them properly and you will love them. Now if you want to be the loudest boat at party cove/sandbar get the 10s.

Stereo guy recommended the REV 8 said the 10's look to big on the tower. I just went with what he said he does.

I don't agree with that statement. The size of the 10's looks great IMHO.

I had to have my speakers before I went on a week long boating trip, so I bought a pair of rev 8's before the 10's were available. Then I sold the rev 8's and put on 2 pair of REV 10's.

The REV 8's performed admirably. I had 300 watts to each unit and they were very loud and clear at all distances, speeds and activities. The 10's put out a little more midbass punch, but I would have been pretty happy with the 8's, if I did not have the means to upgrade.

Just a little acoustics perspective.

Whether it is a woofer or tower speaker, a 10-inch speaker has 68 percent more effective surface area than an 8-inch speaker. That would normally constitute a 2 dB increase in output. A 2 dB increase in output would roughly sound equivalent to a two-thirds increase in amplifier power. One 10-inch speaker has 83 percent the effective surface area of two 8-inch speakers so there is less than 1 dB of output difference with the identical total power.

David

Yes it is - I have listened to them both playing the same track and from the same amp.

I would also imagine that the 10's would sound even better and louder if they had their own amp with a bit more midbass comming thru

Yes, 1 dB is at the threshold of making an audible difference in a quiet environment. So, 2 dB is clearly audible as an increase but not a giant difference in volume. A 10 db increase is interpreted as TWICE as loud. Also, look at it from the perspective that the added output may allow you to achieve a certain volume and distance while operating the amplifier(s) more conservatively.

A larger speaker and larger enclosure/pod, whether a subwoofer or tower speaker, will 'usually' have a lower inherent resonance which translates to greater bass extension before rolling off. I stated "usually" because past a given point it will be the enclosure that will ultimately determine the bass extension.

A greater number of smaller speakers may create more midbass impact but will not increase the depth of bass.

Just generalizations that may apply.

David

Earmark Marine

Wow! Is the only way I can describe the wetsound speakers. Heard the system for the first time today. So happy I went with the rev8's. They look great and sound unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

Youll be happy with the Rev 8s if you power them correctly...one of my boating buddies has a Supra and he runs six of these with a syn 4 wet sounds amp per every pair. His system is a bit over the top but they're clear and super super loud in that configuration.