Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lead For Ballast Or Pop Bags

wakesetter8796

Does anyone have used pop bags or lead? What are you guys using for it? I just need about 400 pounds worth of it. I just need to know what to use, that's all.

I have about 320 lbs of pop bags filled with old tire lead. I usually use it in the bow.... allows me to have the weight of the bow tank, but I still have all the storage under the seats. Or I can use it to compensate for the driver's weight & balance the boat. Or throw it all in the back on one side for surf weight.

Every time this topic comes up, several guys will chime in with all the warnings of using weight that isn't neutral buoyancy. It's true, if your boat sinks, the lead will still be heavy below the surface & help pull the boat to the bottom. But believe me, sinking a little or a lot, sinking is sinking. If the boat sinks to just below the surface, the insurance company can have it, I sure don't want the problems it's bound to have. I've been using lead in the Malibu, a Mastercraft 205 & a SeaRay I/O since like 1996, not to mention all the other boats of friends & family & have yet to sink ANY boat. :crazy:

Be smart about how much you have & when you use it....... not much point if you have 14 people on board......... and if you have 300 in the bow, don't have four 100 lb girls up there too. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Good point, that is a cheaper solution to the lead that comes in the bags. It should not be nearly as expensive. What bow sack do you have in your vRide? You mentioned it didn't take up space.

No, I'm using the lead in the bow under the center cushion as the bow weight. The stock tank that goes in the bow of the newer VLXs weighs about 300 lbs & takes up all the space under all the cushions so they don't have any storage under any of the seats. I still have storage under both side seats & the very front, even with 320 lbs of lead sitting on the floor under the center cushion.

Or if needed I can easily move eight 40 lb pop bags to the back of the boat, to the passenger side of the boat or to the dock.... depending on what we have going on at the time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Oh, gotcha. Misunderstood that one. How much are just the bags that pop products uses? I think I could get lead easily. My dad should know where to get some.

Yea, the issue is finding a shop who will let it go for any price. Lead is toxic & they are supposed to turn it in to a licensed recycler. Although that isn't really enforced so there are ways you can get it.

You can also use shot from a gun range too. Might cost a bit more but weighs about the same.

Whatever weight you go with, use the liners so it doesn't corrode or rust thru the Pop bags & into your carpet. I had some in my 205 for years & never had any problems with it.

Depends on the volume. Also check out metal recyclers. My local place sells the tire weights for .70 a lb.

I get mine from my buddies brother in law who works for one of the larger big truck tire dealers.

I may look into the bags, but how do they do with all of the steal clips that are in the wheel weights?

Does it not tear the liners?

....... how do they do with all of the steal clips that are in the wheel weights?

Does it not tear the liners?

I suppose it's possible. But I haven't had a problem with it. The liners & the Pop bag itself is pretty heavy duty.

• 3 weeks later...

A local (non chain) tire store sells the old lead weights in buckets for somewhere around $80. It's a mix of clean & dirty, but the worker said its close to 200lbs. I almost bought some, but didn't know how safely deal with it. I was going to melt it down and have it line-x or rhino lined, but the melting process scared me. I didn't want to just have it loose and exposed, so I didn't buy any.

The lead I have now is just bagged in the Pop bags & liners. Haven't had any issues with it.

Years ago we melted it on a BBQ, then poured it into bread pans. We just made a point to do it outside with a breeze. None of us have grown any 3rd legs or anything..... yet.

The lead I have now is just bagged in the Pop bags & liners. Haven't had any issues with it.

Years ago we melted it on a BBQ, then poured it into bread pans. We just made a point to do it outside with a breeze. None of us have grown any 3rd legs or anything..... yet.

Now that right there explains a lot about Jake! :rofl:

I might find some scrap lead or lead bricks, but am having a lot of trouble! I just need something equal to 400 pounds or so, but as small as possible.

If I remember right, dive shops (I recall 1 a while ago) use lead for weights. Might check there. A local shop here used to melt it into molds. Not sure if they still do or not.

Instead of the bags could you melt the lead and pour it in steel or pvc pipes then glue or thread caps on the pipe.

Edited by UofK fanatic