Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Malibu Rumor

Cory

When I was at the boat show, a Malibu factory rep vaguely mentioned that Malibu would be coming out with something new next year (2013) that was geared towards wakesurfing. I was mentioning how filling fat sacs, slinging my pump over the sides, and transferring the fat sac between the left and right rear compartments was a pain. His only reply was that something new for wakesurfing was coming next year and he said it with a smile. Unfortunately, he wasn't any more specific than this. My assumption was that it would address my specific complaints as previously mentioned, since his statement was in response to my complaints, but this is only my assumption. He simply said somthing new for wakesuring was coming next year.

What could it be??? An add-on ballast system for wakesurfing??? I guess time will tell...

Edited by Cory

i am pretty sure it is the 'surf fin' that has been discretely mentioned on this site before. now if they could just build an MXZ with the same interior space as a 23lsv + this new feature......

Enough of this pump crap - it is time for Malibu to step up to MB's gravity fed type of setup. 60 seconds fill/drain for 2500lbs is FAR faster (along with more simple = more reliable) than any pump setup out there.

Ultimate would be a gravity fed and pump setup - gravity for the main ballast, pump for the front and additional side ballast for surfing.

Yep something new for next year...gunna be a game changer. :biggrin:

Is this rhetorical or serious? My wife and I primarily switched to wakesurfing (away from wakeboarding, since I keep hurting myself). I still want a boat that can do both well, one day my daughter will be old enough to wakeboard and I'll live vicarously through her. An OEM wakesurfing/wakeboarding combo solution added to the VTX, could push me over the top for ordering a new boat... That and the snap out carpet feature on the new models and the increased freeboard of the modern boats over my 2008 vRide. I'll have to wait and see I guess...

Is this rhetorical or serious? My wife and I primarily switched to wakesurfing (away from wakeboarding, since I keep hurting myself). I still want a boat that can do both well, one day my daughter will be old enough to wakeboard and I'll live vicarously through her. An OEM wakesurfing/wakeboarding combo solution added to the VTX, could push me over the top for ordering a new boat... That and the snap out carpet feature on the new models and the increased freeboard of the modern boats over my 2008 vRide. I'll have to wait and see I guess...

He is serious! Not much info. But Malibudude knows all! :notworthy:

Surfsetter..movable tracking fins, wedge with attachments that pull down the surf corner of the boat.

I hope this is not true. Those options do not sound like you can flip a switch and setup for wakeboarding, then flip another switch and be ready of wakesurfing. We still do wakeboard, just not as much as we wakesurf.

I hope this is not true. Those options do not sound like you can flip a switch and setup for wakeboarding, then flip another switch and be ready of wakesurfing. We still do wakeboard, just not as much as we wakesurf.

Cory, this boat will be able to do both fairly easy. If they can make my little VTX do as much as it can.... this is a piece of cake. :thumbup:

Surf fins are not necessarily a rumor...Malibu made a press release, it just didn't come together in time for the 2012's. Edit - I guess a dealer made the realease, but it's no secret.

News & Events

Malibu Making Waves with New Models and Features

06/19/2011

For 2012 Malibu boats has brought two new models to the water. The Wakesetter 22' MXZ with a Bow-centric Picklefork design, rough water handling performance, bigger wake, transom seating, rear fresh air vents, completely digital design for precise construction. The Response TXi with improved hull design for greater performance in wider range of speeds and line length, new higher windshield design, new graphics. Additionally Malibu is working on a new adjustable surf fin system. The system offers surfers a great wake without moving bodies in the boat, abilities to level the boat without adjusting ballast weight and assists in backing to the left. Also a new quick fill ballast system that cuts fill time in half using higher flow pumps and tubing. There will also be new interior flooring options, graphics, and redesigned board racks. Malibu strives to continually update their boat models and maintain their reputation as the most up to date inboard boats on the market, geared toward what water-sport enthusiast are searching for. Look for new models to appear sometime in October.

http://www.navcompany.com/news/malibu-making-waves-with-new-models-and-features/

Edited by thtrog

Surf fins are not necessarily a rumor...Malibu made a press release, it just didn't come together in time for the 2012's. Edit - I guess a dealer made the realease, but it's no secret.

News & Events

Malibu Making Waves with New Models and Features

06/19/2011

For 2012 Malibu boats has brought two new models to the water. The Wakesetter 22' MXZ with a Bow-centric Picklefork design, rough water handling performance, bigger wake, transom seating, rear fresh air vents, completely digital design for precise construction. The Response TXi with improved hull design for greater performance in wider range of speeds and line length, new higher windshield design, new graphics. Additionally Malibu is working on a new adjustable surf fin system. The system offers surfers a great wake without moving bodies in the boat, abilities to level the boat without adjusting ballast weight and assists in backing to the left. Also a new quick fill ballast system that cuts fill time in half using higher flow pumps and tubing. There will also be new interior flooring options, graphics, and redesigned board racks. Malibu strives to continually update their boat models and maintain their reputation as the most up to date inboard boats on the market, geared toward what water-sport enthusiast are searching for. Look for new models to appear sometime in October.

http://www.navcompany.com/news/malibu-making-waves-with-new-models-and-features/

Interesting....

I think they should consider a dual wedge setup...that would be sweet. Deploy one side at a time and have a whale of a surf wave. The nice thing would be that when you stop, the boat is level, and not at so much risk of tipping over like when you have heavy ballast on board.

Can anyone comment on what an 'adjustable surf fin system' means?

i think that this was discussed in another topic, but it sounds like Malibu will be moving to the floor liners (like the new MXZ floor) for new boats. i saw the floor in the MXZ and am not a big fan of the fact that they dont have carpet on the seat bases. i hope that they have addiitonal options in 2013 for the MXZ and any new boats where you can get carpeted seat bases.

I too think dual power wedges are a possibility. Perhaps, one on each side of the stern under the swim platform with each of them being a little smaller than the current generation power wedge. They avoid the safety concern/liability of adding more stock ballast to the boats. They could be depolyed in unison for wakeboarding, or in isolation for surfing.

i think that this was discussed in another topic, but it sounds like Malibu will be moving to the floor liners (like the new MXZ floor) for new boats. i saw the floor in the MXZ and am not a big fan of the fact that they dont have carpet on the seat bases. i hope that they have addiitonal options in 2013 for the MXZ and any new boats where you can get carpeted seat bases.

I agree. I really like how they incorporated snap-in carpet and carpeted seat bases.. i can see how it would be handy for keeping clean however the plushness of the Carpeted bases is really nice...

on a slightly different topic - at the boat show a couple weeks back, I was talking with the Malibu guy and we were discussing the rear facing seats - he also mentioned that they were "looking" at some type of a set-up for the Malibu as well

I love you guys. Post #2 #3 had my biggest two wishes that malibu does in the future. Go gravity fed, and an MXZ with interior space similar to my 23 lsv. If they did those two things I don't think I'd even bother testing out all the other brands like I planned on doing come next buy time. Won't be buying for a while so they have time to make it happen. I have my fingers crossed.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

What is pure vert?

PureVert is a gravity fed ballast system. No pumps. The boat needs to sit idle to flood the tanks. With two gate valves that are operated with a switch at the dash to open and close the gates. To empty one would open the valves and hit the gas. Once empty close the gates.

Count me as one who doesn't want a gravity fed ballast system. Malibu, keep doing what you are already doing! I like the ability to hit a pre-set button and have 4 individual tanks fill to the exact amount desired, especially since our group has a wide variety of rider skill sets. Combine that with the auto-set power wedge and you really do have a set-it and forget-it wake without having to work to find the clean spot. With Malibu's new fast fill pumps I'm sure the fill times are even shorter now.

Not everybody wants two big tanks that are either full or empty. I'm sure you could play with switches while moving to try and drain the tanks to half full, but what if you weren’t watching the gauges or didn’t time it right? Then you just drained all your ballast and have to stop and drop the rider to fill back up and try again. That sort of fiddling does not appeal to me at all. What if you want to add weight just to the nose? Then you are stuck putting bags on the seats and throwing pumps over the side. That totally defeats the purpose of the gravity fed system considering the time/hassle involved.

What if you want to add more weight to one side for surfing, as many with pure-vert systems have stated they do? Then you are throwing pumps over the side, or plumbing in electric ballast pumps anyway. Again, completely defeating the purpose of the gravity system. I doubt many really prefer to surf with just stock ballast compared to the monster wave you can get with extra ballast. I also don't like the very shallow seat height that results from having those big tanks located where they are.

I can see how a gravity system has advantages for some people, but I feel Malibu’s system is just more capable for a majority of users.

Just my 2 cents. :footing: