Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New World Record

MalibuNation

Awesome..... just awesome! :rockon:

12 yrs ago we tried this too. A local TV personality got it in his head that it could be done. He recruited a bunch of people in the Seattle area, including the Seattle Show Ski team, Jones Soda, & Nichols Brothers Ship Builders & we gave it a whirl. At the time 100 was the record & we attempted 120.

I still have stuff online about it here: http://www.airjunky.com/record/

I got involved because I knew one of the gals on the show ski team. They recruited a Boeing engineer buddy of mine (and fellow Malibu owner) to build the boom/cat walk system. I volunteered to put together a bunch of guys to shag ropes for them. I called all our foilin buddies & we ran ropes for the waterski attempt. In exchange, we got some time to do a hydrofoil record attempt too. After spending hours setting it all up, the waterski attempt failed. We tried several times but was told that the skiers were preventing the boat from getting any forward momentum, which was needed for the engines to have enough water in their intakes. I guess a prop boat would be better than a jet boat.

The fact that ours didn't work, makes me really appreciate what it takes to make it work. We still had a blast riding the cat walks 10' above the water at 20 mph all day. :rofl:

That record was for skiers. I wonder if we could get a record (with a much lower number of people) on wake or surf boards? Or go old school and use knee boards :rockon:

I think it would be tougher to do wakeboarders, only because of how they get up..... some facing forward, board sideways, some with the tip of the board facing the boat, etc.

I would imagine that kneeboard would be tough because of the routine of getting into the kneeling position & tieing off the strap...... it may not be as easy in traffic.

We have set the record for foil riders a number of times, and their all facing straight ahead, and we still had issues. The lesson we learned the last time we did it was to qualify all of your riders ahead of time. Some people say they can ride, but they have issues getting up or maintaining their line.

Depending on how you have everyone tied to the boat, most riders have a tendency to get pulled to the center. Its not an issue if you only have 1 or 2 riders. But when you have 10, or 20, or a LOT of riders, the people in the middle get squished as everyone is getting up. And the riders on the outside have to be good at cutting out as their getting up..... which is not something the average rookie who "says" he can ride is usually capable of doing.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I was just suggesting it, because I bet it would be easy to set as the sports are relatively new. Probably wouldn't need nearly as many riders to set the record. Plus any decent boarder can get up at a 45* angle or nearly straight to take up less room.

Anyone know the record for wakeboarders?

You wont break it.........and if you do we will smash it again!!!!! :sw3: hehehe

A record for pulling hydrofoilers has been put forward. A friend and I might be heading down to Tasmania in a month to do a foiling clinic for the Tassie guys. Seems a lot are bruised and batterd from all the years of 3 event , so sitting down and having even more fun is catching on really quick.

I dont know what the current record is. Anyone??

You wont break it.........and if you do we will smash it again!!!!! :sw3: hehehe

A record for pulling hydrofoilers has been put forward. A friend and I might be heading down to Tasmania in a month to do a foiling clinic for the Tassie guys. Seems a lot are bruised and batterd from all the years of 3 event , so sitting down and having even more fun is catching on really quick.

I dont know what the current record is. Anyone??

15. Details of the chaos in the link I posted above. :crazy:

Bill.

The links to the vids. are dead.

Yea, looks like the video hosting site I had it on has changed hands. And my raw footage is on Hi8, and I don't have any way of converting that now. As I recall it was a piece from Evening Magazine. But I don't have it any more.

The best thing I can say about it... again..... qualify your riders before you get them all out there. We learned the hard way that if you ask everyone who can ride a foil to come out, you will get some people out there that SAY they can ride (and maybe they can ride a little) but their skills are not good enough to do it in traffic.

Love the faceplant at 0:53 on the top vid.

For anyone who wants to give this a try, the faceplant is not all that unusual. We used 400' long ropes, and they were typical ski ropes with loads of stretch in them. So the boat would S T R E T C H the rope as it pulled forward.... then you'd SPRING forward as the tension pulled you up. It made getting up "interesting" to say the least. :Doh:

there are 2 groups of aussies who have been bettering each other for a number of years now at this record. this group down is tasmania, and another in far north queensland. the queenslanders broke it only a year or so ago by memory.