Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Tower Is This?

So I've had my boat for a year and the tower needs to be redone or replaced. I've never seen a tower on here that looks like mine, but It appears to have the same mounting points as other towers I have seen here. I am told it is factory by some and custom by others.

I would appreciate any insight that you guys have.

IMG_0006.jpg

The guy that owned it before me had some welds redone on it. Some of those welds look like the first time someone has ever welded. I would honestly prefer to have it stripped, clean up the welds, and then powdercoated. It is a really sturdy tower, I just can't stand the faded red color and the welds look like crap.

I've heard swoop before, but if you look at the front legs, it is continuous and does not meet at the joint like a swoop.

The guy that owned it before me had some welds redone on it. Some of those welds look like the first time someone has ever welded. I would honestly prefer to have it stripped, clean up the welds, and then powdercoated. It is a really sturdy tower, I just can't stand the faded red color and the welds look like crap.

I've heard swoop before, but if you look at the front legs, it is continuous and does not meet at the joint like a swoop.

Then I'd say stick with what you have. A good weld shop can clean up the welds, probably for $200 or so (not sure how many need fixing). Then you sand with 800 grit and rattle can it. Mine was orange when I bought the boat, faded out from red. Sand & paint, less than $5. There's a trick to painting of just keeping the painted surface looking continuously wet without running, but it's not too hard with some practice. IMO, towers don't see enough friction or wear to justify powder coating, simple paint will hold up well. Here's a pick of mine:

post-8942-0-82375400-1328039316_thumb.jp

Wow! That looks great! Can't believe that's rattle canned! How long ago did you do your tower? Is there a type of paint that you used that won't fade as bad?

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into a local welding shop and see what I can do about having them clean it up.

Wow! That looks great! Can't believe that's rattle canned! How long ago did you do your tower? Is there a type of paint that you used that won't fade as bad?

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into a local welding shop and see what I can do about having them clean it up.

At that time the tower had seen 2 seasons. 2012 will be the 4th season, and it's held up well. The only spot that doesn't look perfect is on the tow point. Plain ol' Ace Hardware spray paint. I painted it during the winter, so it had a few months to dry/cure indoors, 3 coats. Then in the spring I mounted it to the boat and put a nice coat of wax on it for UV protection. It receives a coat of wax every time I do the rest of the boat, and the wax will keep it from fading out again.

So I've had my boat for a year and the tower needs to be redone or replaced. I've never seen a tower on here that looks like mine, but It appears to have the same mounting points as other towers I have seen here. I am told it is factory by some and custom by others.

I would appreciate any insight that you guys have.

IMG_0006.jpg

Looks like a hybrid between the old Skylon Tuna Tower and the Skylon Swoop....looks like it uses the Tuna Tower mounts....wonder if maybe it was a really early version of the swoop

My thoughts exactly Dan. It appears to be some sort of hybrid or an prototype design of the swoop.

I took it into a malibu dealer when I was in Tennessee and he had no idea because he had only been selling them for a couple years. I thought about taking to No Wake, but didn't know if they would know either.

I figured someone on here had seen this tower on another Malibu, or just another boat in general. Anyone?

Send the photo to the guys at Skylon and see if they have any info. If nothing else it would be nice to know the origin.

Excellent idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that!

I just shot them an email. I'll update you guys once I hear back.

Brian from Skylon passed around the pictures I sent him, and no one there knows.

I really thought since it has similar mounting points to a Tuna Tower that Skylon would know. Can anyone think of another tower manufacturer that this looks like?

Brian from Skylon passed around the pictures I sent him, and no one there knows.

I really thought since it has similar mounting points to a Tuna Tower that Skylon would know. Can anyone think of another tower manufacturer that this looks like?

Mine is a Boss Tower, installed in the early 2000's. Doesn't look like yours, but maybe they made a few models? I don't have a number or contact, it was installed by the prior owner.

post-8942-0-22430100-1328813850_thumb.jp

Did that boat by chance come from oklahoma?

Did you buy it from emmy at lake keystone?

If that's the boat, I looked at it when I got mine.

Weird. I did buy it from emmy. Drove from Cincinnati to pick it up.

I sent her an email in hopes that she would know, but haven't heard from her either.

They had a nice mastercraft 230 but they were proud of it. Emmy is awesome to deal with.

Was planning on surfing behind one of their inboard cruisers this summer but was to busy. Ya those tower welds Looked interesting.

Did you meet the owner of the boat?

They had a nice mastercraft 230 but they were proud of it. Emmy is awesome to deal with.

Was planning on surfing behind one of their inboard cruisers this summer but was to busy. Ya those tower welds Looked interesting.

Did you meet the owner of the boat?

I didn't get to meet Matt. It was a pretty quick transaction, and to be honest, at the price I got the boat for, I could replace the tower completely and still be within market. I would much rather just clean it up and refinish it.

After the crews suggestions, I made a call to my buddy that is a lowrider builder and he is a welding guru. I'm going to take the tower off the boat and let him do his magic. :thumbup:

I drove from Cincinnati (almost 10 hours), test drove the boat for about 2 hours, did the paperwork, and then back to Cincinnati (about 14 hours towing the boat).

They were trying to be proud of this boat as well since they were asking 26K.

Emmy was amazing through the whole process. She took tons of pictures and emailed them to me. Came in early to test drive with us, and got us back on the road quickly.

Matt is the reason I didn't buy that boat.

Sounds like an awesome deal, maybe I should have tried to beat him up on price.

I still wish I had the wedge on mine.

I guess if I want it bad enough I can get it installed.

What ballast are you running?

Yeah I knew going down there that there were cosmetic things that would need to be addressed, but the overall options on the boat were there for me. (i.e. V-drive, wedge, ballast, etc.) I've got a long list of projects that I've been slowly working on this winter.

Hopefully I can get to all of these:

New Inboat Speakers (purchased, but not yet installed)

Refinish Teak Deck (Almost finished)

Refinish Wakeboard Tower (Haven't Started)

New Upholstery (Haven't Started)

Install WakeMakers Tank Buster Kit (Not purchased yet)

So I have my hands full, but after all this is done, I'll have a boat that is in great condition!

I ran the stock ballast last year, but I plan on changing out the rear tanks to 750# bags on each side and adding another 500# sac in the under the filler cushion in the front. I won't fill up the 750# bags full for wakeboarding, but want them there for a great surf wake.

After last summer new interrior is on my last to.

I did the 750's at first and then swapped for the 1100 on my port side for surfing.

But again I don't have a wedge so what takes me 1100 may be only the 750 for you.

Wakemakers kit was super easy to install. and I love the quick connects ease of pulling the bag to let the boat dry out.

After last summer new interrior is on my last to.

I did the 750's at first and then swapped for the 1100 on my port side for surfing.

But again I don't have a wedge so what takes me 1100 may be only the 750 for you.

Wakemakers kit was super easy to install. and I love the quick connects ease of pulling the bag to let the boat dry out.

Still have those 750's? :biggrin: