Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Float Charger

I recently bought a battery float charger from harbor freight. I connected the charger to one of the batteries and then both the batteries with a small gauge jumper cable set. Looks like one of the batteries is std and the other is deep cycle. I left the compartment open but the storage cover is on. Anyway, is this safe? I don't want this to happen...

14828085.jpg

As long as both batteries are the same , wet, agm,etc you,ll be fine

Those float chargers are 2 amps or less

You should only have to connect to one battery

Turn the perko switch to 1 and 2

Not a battery expert but I understood a deep cycle and a starting battery should not be tied together unless through an isolator (different charging profiles)... again not an expert... open to discussion.

I personally would not use a $10 harbour freight charger on my $400 worth of batteries. I do use a charger but it is a CTEK ($80) which is decent but not a pro level charger.

The float charger I found on Harbour Freight.com is a 500 mA, if that is the one ; with your batteries tied together and and if your stereo has a constant draw for memory functions etc you may be working it pretty hard.

Edited by G-Mack

I definitely agree with G-Mack on this one. First is you can't charge both with the same "floater". You need to use an intelligent charger like the CTEK or a Pro Mariner Dual bank charger that is capable of charging the battery based on type and requirement. But I don't think your current setup is "physically" unsafe. You will probably just ruin one of the batteries.

Not a battery expert but I understood a deep cycle and a starting battery should not be tied together unless through an isolator (different charging profiles)... again not an expert... open to discussion.

I personally would not use a $10 harbour freight charger on my $400 worth of batteries. I do use a charger but it is a CTEK ($80) which is decent but not a pro level charger.

The float charger I found on Harbour Freight.com is a 500 mA, if that is the one ; with your batteries tied together and and if your stereo has a constant draw for memory functions etc you may be working it pretty hard.

A tender/trickle/minder/maintenaince charger is absolutely fine for a motorcycle, 3rd car, tractor, ATV, etc where the battery is put into storage fully charged.

But deep cycling a battery as you would with a stereo at rest, creates sulfation and a tender/etc type charger has no de-sulfation properties. Failing to correctly condition a deep cycle battery after depletion will lead to diminished amp/hour capacity and a shorter battery lifespan.

So I would recommend a multi-stage dual-bank charger from Ctek (using two), ProMariner (or ProSport), Guest, Dual Pro, Xantrex or Intelli-Power just for example.

David

I think he just wants to keep the batteries topped off over the winter.

I pull my batteries but use the same HF charger over the winter. Seems to work just fine