Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Question (Charging And Starting)

wakebrdr94

So I had my dealer install a second battery while it was getting work done, and I have a question about the install. I can run the radio on either battery, and start on either battery. I was under the impression that the boat would only start on 1 or all, but not 2 (or visa versa). Also, if the set up is correct, when I throw a charger on the batteries, do I need two chargers or can I hook up just one?

:help:

Will start in all setting

Battery 1

Battery 2

Or combined

Assuming you have a perko switch

Leave it in bat 1 while running etc

And switch to bat 2 while playing the stereo with the motor off

Playing the stereo in bat 2 you can drain the battery and still start the motor on bat 1

On the charger get a 2 bat like the pro 20

One unit charges 2 batteries

Edited by my malibu

Check where the stereo is wired to. Is it wired to the output of the perko switch or to the original battery. I figured out on mine from the factory the stereo is wired to BATT2. With my switch I either need to run combined or BATT2 with the stereo on. If I leave it on BATT1 the boat will charge battery 1 while the stereo draws battery 2 dead.

Your setup is correct. You should have the Perko like mentioned before to isolate 1 bat or 2 bat so you can make sure to start your engine if one of them dies. The Pro Mariner Pro sport 20 is fantastic and is what I use as well.

Enjoy

Claudio

thanks for the fast responses. that's why I love the crew :werule: So now, for the charging portion. I was given two ctek mus 4.3 chargers for christmas, will these suffice? vs going to buy the pro 20, or take these back (as i have yet to use them) and get the 20?

Ok here is the link to the product with details. Under the assumption you have 2 of the same batteries and are "lead-acid" and hopefully same brand you should be fine. But this is not a "dual bank" charger like the pro 20. But not a bad unit for ~50.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/#CTEK%20Multi%20US%204.3

Good LuckClaudio

thanks for the fast responses. that's why I love the crew :werule: So now, for the charging portion. I was given two ctek mus 4.3 chargers for christmas, will these suffice? vs going to buy the pro 20, or take these back (as i have yet to use them) and get the 20?

Edited by cstk421

I currently have two optima d34m batteries. I figure that since I have two, If returned them, that gets me to the price of the onboard charger. I'm going to assume the dual bank is the way to go?

and thanks for the info

Edited by wakebrdr94

The two Ctek chargers will behave exactly like a ProSport 20 dual-bank charger will when the Perko switch is in the 'Off" position while in storage.

Because the Ctek use pulse technology they will have de-sulphation characteristics larger than their amp rating would suggest. This 4.3 amp charger in this case is more than adequate for a 55 A/H D34M.

I do see a single advantage in the ProSport 20 in that it is 'distribute on demand' so it will deliver a very high percentage of its total charging capacity to the battery in the most need.

David

Yes, its an onboard charger so that you can permanently mount it in the boat for convenience. It is attached permanently and unaffected by the active alternator. You just switch the Perko to 'Off' and plug in the AC cord. No other steps. But its an AC device strictly for shore power or storage. So its of no benefit on the water unless you are tied up next to a cruiser or houseboat with a generator.

David

The ProSport 20 comes in both a 2-bank and a Plus 3-bank version. In a towboat you would be looking for the 2-bank model. Even with three total batteries split into two banks a 3-bank charger has no benefit. The exception would be if you need a charger that is so large in capacity that it is only available in a 3-bank model. But you would still be using it as a 2-bank charger. The ProSport 20 should be good for any group of batteries with a collective amp/hour capacity of 200 or less.

David

• 1 month later...

Purchased my first malibu ( wakesetter 2011) and have had it in storage for winter. In talking with my buddies that own ski boats regarding charging the batteries while in storage have heard 3 different views:

1. No need to charge them while in storage, batteries should hold charge for winter (Nov. to April)

2. best to keep a trickle charger on over winter

3. Just have batteries deep charged once I pull boat out of storage for the season

Can you tell me what is best practice??

Brad

Yes, its an onboard charger so that you can permanently mount it in the boat for convenience. It is attached permanently and unaffected by the active alternator. You just switch the Perko to 'Off' and plug in the AC cord. No other steps. But its an AC device strictly for shore power or storage. So its of no benefit on the water unless you are tied up next to a cruiser or houseboat with a generator.

David

Thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering.

Steve B.

Thejadman,

Its not a matter of you must do it this way or that way. And some of it is circumstantial based on how you use the elements of your charging system differently than someone else. But here are a couple of generalizations that hold up with both battery and the better charger manufacturers.

A battery can self-discharge several percent per month. Batteries will last longer if a full charge is maintained. So a low amperage trickle/tender/minder/maintenance charger is a good idea while in long term storage.....if you put your boat up with the batteries fully charged.

If you have a large audio system and you are playing at rest for a long duration its probable that you are putting your boat into storage with less than a full charge restored based on your alternator alone. In this case you want a dual-bank multi-stage smart charger with enough current capacity to properly desulphate deeply cycled batteries. Sulphation (the collection of sulphates on the plates during discharge) is a battery killer. It takes a certain amount of current to chemically excite a depleted battery and return those sulphates to the acidic solution. The capacity of the collective batteries will determine the right size of the charger. You don't want to over-charge or under-charge your batteries.

You would like to have enough battery capacity that under normal usage you do not deplete the stereo bank below a 50 percent charge on consumer grade deep cycle batteries.

The above will promote a higher battery performance every weekend and extend your battery(s) lifespan.

David