Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 Sunsetter Lx Trailer Repainted

Just wanted to share the outcome from today's project with you, i should have taken more photos but was too focused on the job at hand. The project cost me $15, which entailed the Rustoleum paint and a disposable roller. My intention was to simply protect the trailer from further rusting but the final outcome is much better than I thought it would be.

click here for photos

Total project time was 4 hours. I think it looks great, what do you think?

:rockon:

I love it.

Flat black covers all.

You and MA have awfully long safety chains on the bow.

Is there a guide to how long the chain should be?

I guess not.

But, on my boat, the secondary chain is only the length of two quick links.

I don't know much about boats and trailers but, It seems to me that the set-up that you and MA have would allow the boat to slip about 2-3' back before the secondary safety chain would engage. That's too far for me.

If my bow strap breaks, my two quick links will engage within about 3".

Sorry, this is the best pic. I have.

And, I'm not trying to start any war here.

safety.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Great story project with pictures.

I had a 1980 Glastron Metalflake boat that I bought new on an EZ Load trailer.

Mine was silver metalflake and grey and resembled the James Bond boats only smaller.

EZ Load trailers were all the rage at the time and they had rollers.

In the mid 1980's I jacked my boat off of the trailer and changed it to a bunk trailer.

In 1991 when I got my current Spyder I sold that boat to a friend who lives in Portland.

I still see that boat every year for our week long campout at Cougar Reservoir.

Last summer while our boats were floating all week, my friend Ron wire brushed and painted that 31 year old trailer.

Used the DeRusto rattle can and it looks fine.

He had all week and he used 3 gallons of craft beer and maybe 1 gallon of paint.

Seems about right.

Edited by DONTW8

Just wanted to share the outcome from today's project with you, i should have taken more photos but was too focused on the job at hand. The project cost me $15, which entailed the Rustoleum paint and a disposable roller. My intention was to simply protect the trailer from further rusting but the final outcome is much better than I thought it would be.

click here for photos

Total project time was 4 hours. I think it looks great, what do you think?

:rockon:

that looks really good. i agree about the stickers too.

i think i have an early spring project in my future! did you use a rust inhibiting primer?

Edited by scott_fx

Also, it may seem like a PITA, but put a coat of wax on it. It will start fading quick from UV exposure otherwise, unless you keep it indoors. If you just painted it, then it's nice and clean and easy to wax now.

Thanks, I'm going to give it another coat this weekend, only because i have 1/3 a can of paint remaining.

Any suggestions on Stickers? what kind and color?

Thanks, I'm going to give it another coat this weekend, only because i have 1/3 a can of paint remaining.

Any suggestions on Stickers? what kind and color?

Check out what Bakes has thru their online store, bet you'll find some there. White? Grey maybe? I got this sticker for each side near the stern from them after I de-badged the boat, this would also look good on a trailer. It's a great idea Martinarcher, I repainted mine too last year and should put a sticker or two on it so it doesn't look so plain.

post-8942-0-87292100-1328123623_thumb.jp

is there any specific process to use when repainting? prep? rust removal?

how is yours holding up after a year?

I actually mis spoke, mine was done in summer of 2009. I put a wire brush on my 18v DeWalt drill and removed any rust on the trailer (after removing the bunks, which had a lot of rust under them). One cross member was rusted thru in the bottom, the drain hole was plugged and it held water in it for who knows how long. Had a reinforcement plate welded over it. Drilled all drain holes a bit larger. Then used a heat gun to remove all decals and stripes. Then I wiped it all down with Xylene to de-dust/degloss/degrease the paint. Then 3 coats of paint. I don't recall how many cans, maybe 6?

The boat is stored indoors during the winter, and the trailer is too except for last year it was in a grassy field for the month of August. The color has held up very well, and no visible rust has reappeared. It's actually a pretty easy project. What got me started on it was the carpet on the bunks was literally falling off and disintegrating, and after removing them, figured I might as well paint it.

is there any specific process to use when repainting? prep? rust removal?

how is yours holding up after a year?

My process was very simple. I washed the trailer and wiped it down with a towel to ensure all dirt and dust were removed. Working from the front to the back, I used a small disposable sponge roller and a $1 brush to cover every section. The trailer had white pin stripes which needed 2 coats to cover completely cover. The boat was on the trailer the whole time and i didn't remove any light fittings, bunks or winch. he Rustolem paint can be applied directly over rust will hide any and all blemishes. If you had someone to help you it wouldn't take long at all.

My tip for amateur painters - make sure your roller has plenty of paint on every roll, and work slowly to ensure it doesn't flick paint anywhere you don't want it.

:thumbup:

Edited by New2Texas

Also, it may seem like a PITA, but put a coat of wax on it. It will start fading quick from UV exposure otherwise, unless you keep it indoors. If you just painted it, then it's nice and clean and easy to wax now.

I wax it every fall. Still looks new. Thumbup.gif