Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Show Impressions?

EchelonMike

Went to the Cincy boat show last night. Checked out the inboard boats primarily. The Moombas were pretty nice from a bang-for-buck standpoint. You can get into one for high 40s/low 50s and they don't look or feel cheap. Only one Supra, which was 24+ft long...giant - and about $80K and change. The loaded up Malibu 22MXZ was $85K with pretty much every option (400 HP, powered coated tower color matched, LEDs, stereo upgrades, trailer, etc. I really like that boat - looks great, perfect size and layout. No Wake now sells Nautique and Malibu, but I didn't spend much time looking at them. Mastercraft boats look nice at the hull, but the tower has a dinner plate sized hinge/fold mechanism. Beautifully machined but sticks out...was not a fan. The X15 is a nice boat though, about $75K.

Saw a very nice Cobalt 302 bowrider on gorgeous triple axle trailer for the low, low price of $189,900. As in almost $200K...for a bowrider. :crazy:

Picked up some cool brochures from a few new lakes we want to try in 2012, that's about it.

I love the boat show each year if for no other reason that spring is getting closer!

-- Mike

Have a hard time believing that an MXZ with every option is just 85K. My wifes brother was the manager of Idaho Water Sports and even then we got the 2012 MXZ with the 355 and no bling trailer and a hugely discounted 78k. I called other dealerships as was quoted HIGHER for a build of the same type.

Skurfer, not sure if it was a power tower or not - I was out of time as the show was closing, so I didn't have time to chat with the sales guys. Just peeked inside them and checked the options/price sheet.

Have a hard time believing that an MXZ with every option is just 85K. My wifes brother was the manager of Idaho Water Sports and even then we got the 2012 MXZ with the 355 and no bling trailer and a hugely discounted 78k. I called other dealerships as was quoted HIGHER for a build of the same type.

Give No Wake a call and Paul can give you the quote himself. They have a blue one and a red/black one. The blue one was at the show. 400 HP, LEDs everywhere, one of the upgraded stereo packs with huge sub under the helm, tower powder coated blue, etc. Here is an inside pic:

402174_10150524513948547_129631353546_9162338_1181609205_n.jpg

I asked how much and they said it's loaded with just about every option for $85K.

-- Mike

We went to boat show here in Seattle last night. (Saw Paul too. Hi Paul!) At any rate, lots of the boats are pretty meh for the cost, but what's new? MC's just feel so gimmicky now. The SAN's are nice but good lawd they are spendy.

The Supras actually look really good and I really like the interiors. Tower design is cool too. They are quickly becoming my second favorite brand to be honest.

The MXZ on display was awesome. I'm not a fan of the new dealer here in town, but if I was in the market for a new boat, and could afford it, the MXZ is definitely what I would buy. I LOVE the interior. So spacious, and lots of cool touches. Really well done.

I love the Supra Worlds graphics for this year, I also like how they changed the seating interior options to allow more room in the center of the seating area and still have the rear facing seat behind the driver. They also have the adjustable height drivers seat which is a great idea. I just wish Skiers Choice would get rid of the ballast bags and goto hard tanks and re-design the 22SSV hull. The wake is very hard to dial in at lower speeds and the is very rampy with a smaller landing zone transition. The bow also dips very low to the water, which is a problem with 650/1100 lbs in the front ballast bag.

Supraworlds.jpg

My wife and I went yesterday - I was a bit disappointed.

I wanted to see wakeboats, but also other stuff as well. I went a few years ago, and they had off-shore / big water boats (30-40' power boats), smaller yachts, and plenty of closed bow boats. This year, not a single yacht or power boat, and the only closed bow in the ENTIRE place was parked against the wall, and you couldn't even get high enough to look into it let alone hop in. Of course there were a zillion pontoon boats - and really, once you see one of them, you have pretty much seen them all.

The Malibu area was great. We spent a decent time on the MXZ, and I am in love! Best boat Malibu makes, hands down. The Malibu rep was awesome and chatted with us for some time, just BSing about Malibu's. My wife loves the LED's that were done in the boat, and looks like will be a project I will have to tackle for our Malibu. Got to see the metallic flake Malibu is using as well - wife and I hated it, too much of a bass boat look.

I had never seen an Axis boat, and though nice you could really tell it wasn't in the same league as a real Malibu. I actually though the Moombas felt a little better in terms of quality.

I though the Nautiques were alright, but my wife HATED them. Neither of us liked the fake teak look on the 200 - it looks good in photos, and super cheap in person. I hated the no gauge, single touch screen dash setup as well.

Mastercraft had a decent setup. I have always loved the X55, and the one they had there was no exception - the triple axle trailer was awesome that it sat on. It was optioned with the extra seating vs. sink/fridge which I didn't like. Sat in the X15 (manual tower). Dealer guy there demoed it...easy to get down for sure - ugly as hell as well. He did the typical sales pitch of he grew to love it and likes it more now than other brands towers, but it is ugly in ways no mother could truly love. I didn't feel the materials quality was any better than Malibu, and they just had a few more billet things tacked on - many of which we found tacky and unnecessary.

We loved the Supra 242. That was a big a** boat, but I was pretty impressed with its layout. The Moombas seems pretty decent for an entry level boat.

Sea Ray needs to get a clue. They had some 26' or 27' open bow boat there for 115k. Mastercraft sold that X55 for 103k, and it was a MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer boat for similar size and less money. Unless you are hitting the Great Lakes, the better ride on this Sea Ray wouldn't justify its purchase. Felt so much cheaper than the Big 3 + Supra boats. Cobalts were nice, but not my thing.

Some of these other boat makers need to step up their game. Yamaha wants to sell a fake wakeboat, but are very obviously not built with nearly the quality and for similar money. Many of these I/O makers are selling very cheap feeling boats @ premium prices.

We also spent time at the booths getting ideas for a summer vacation and spoke to a few people about it.

Awesome insights! I remember when there was talk of the MXZ coming out and people totally disliking the boat, sounds as if it grows on you once you get near it! I got to admit, the Supra is NICE. Our boat show here in San Antonio, TX is a JOKE. Is good to here some of the cool things that are going on in the boating industry. Thanks for sharing.

I think Malibu is currently trying to push to MXZ.

this boat is a must for all boat show.

I'm new to the boating scene but I can see the same reference as the automotive business.

The 2 boats that i really liked and hadnt looked at before were the Supreme v226 surf it felt really nice inside and the bow was the best imo. Also the MB's were Great. If i was going to buy a brand new boat today it would probably be the Supreme or mb f21.

I did get a laugh out of all the Fakeboats i/o's with 20ft swim platforms trying to look like wakeboats.For similiar prices as a real wakeboat. :crazy: The boat show is a good reminder that i'll never buy new boat strictly used for me :biggrin:

I went to the Knoxville boat show(minutes from the malibu and mastercraft factories) and supra/moomba were the only wakeboats represented. I was truly disappointed. The local 'bu dealer was at a charity event called eskimo escapades giving folks a pull in 42 degree water to raise money for the childrens hospital. So naturally I went and jumped in to get my fix and help out a good cause. But...WHERE WAS MASTERCRAFT??

The 2 boats that i really liked and hadnt looked at before were the Supreme v226 surf it felt really nice inside and the bow was the best imo.

We have a local Supreme dealer. I sat in the V226 and loved some aspects of it. My wife sat in the bow and said 'no way'. The way the seating sloped upward in the front made it so you can't face backwards without feeling like you are laying down looking up at the sky.

And an MXZ for 85K fully loaded seems pretty decent compared to what I have heard. But if the X55 was 103K, then I would assume a comparable MC (X15 or X30) would be about the same price?

Edited by TallRedRider

And an MXZ for 85K fully loaded seems pretty decent compared to what I have heard. But if the X55 was 103K, then I would assume a comparable MC (X15 or X30) would be about the same price?

MXZ wasn't fully loaded. It had the L96 motor instead of the LSA. Had the MB Quart speakers instead of the Wetsounds stuff. Not sure if it had the heater or heated seat (I didn't look). The X55 was not fully loaded for sure. The X15 was 75k if I remember correctly, and it was a low-option boat (base motor, no power tower, no screen in the dash, etc.). That said, the 103k was what it sold for - the list was somewhat higher, and the 75k was the list on the X15.

I forgot to mention that the Malibu rep gave me a really nice hard bound Malibu book. I was pretty impressed by that.

Edited by Nitrousbird

We were down on both Saturday and Sunday. Did the recon thing on Saturday with both Malibu and Mastercraft. Came back Sunday and ended up ordering a new Response Txi! :yahoo:

We ordered it with the options we know we'll use and it was way cheaper than the MC Prostar 197 base price.

Overall, NoWake always has the best display around and the owners and reps are super nice.

Anyone want to buy a mint 2005 Response Lxi?

We were down on both Saturday and Sunday. Did the recon thing on Saturday with both Malibu and Mastercraft. Came back Sunday and ended up ordering a new Response Txi! :yahoo:

We ordered it with the options we know we'll use and it was way cheaper than the MC Prostar 197 base price.

Overall, NoWake always has the best display around and the owners and reps are super nice.

Congrats on the new boat order!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your LXi will sell fast!

-- Mike

Congrats! Hopefully no buyers' remorse, your gen of response is a killer boat!

Congrats on the new boat order!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your LXi will sell fast!

-- Mike

Thanks. It's going to make the winter even longer now.

Congrats! Hopefully no buyers' remorse, your gen of response is a killer boat!

No. The 2005 is a great boat but we've had it 7 years now and it's time for a change.