Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Needing A New Engine

blk93jeepzj

I could use some thoughts and opinions from you all.

Long story short I bought a new to me 04 lsv Wakesetter with a cracked block, my first bu, knew this going into the deal. The block is definatly cracked along with the heads, so I know that I am going to need a new long block. I have already pulled the motor and plan on doing the work myself with a fellow gear head. Had the heads teasted so I know that they are cracked and the crack in the block is apparent.

Now it is time for the big decisions what kind of engine to go with? New vs reman? Back with the stock Monsoon or up it to the Hammerhead? Other than the ECM and long block what else needs to be upgraded to make it a Hammerhead? Where have you guys purchased engines from in the past? The dealerships, GMPP, Blueprint, Summit Racing, others? What else should we replace while we are in there?

The plan is to keep the boat a minimum of 5 years thats why we waited to find a 23 footer that needed work. Neighbors have an 05, love the style and the wake. Need to get this baby running by spring and can't wait to get her running. Bought it in November, the wait is killing us!

Thanks in advance for the help, love the site and all of the great advice!

Robert

Upgrading to a hammerhead is going to be expensive, but I'd a brand new GM marine longblock and switch everything over. If you need more holeshot upgrade the prop. Also the hammerheads from 2004 had some issues, so "upgrading" may hurt you down the line. Going to a 383 would likely require all new electronics and wiring harnesses as the ECM's changed in 07 or so IIRC.

Make sure your exhuast manifolds are not also cracked (likely they are).

While you have the engine out service the V-drive and transmission, I'd replace the obvious tune up stuff and also look into getting the injectors cleaned/replace the screens. And of course scrub the bilge while its open and accessible.

Probably a good time to repack your shaft seal too.

-Chris

I guess you're first going to have to figure out what you wanna spend.

Isnt there a new caddy motor on the market? And I think there is something running 550 hp...

There are others on this forum that can verify, but I believe that the basic Vortec small block Gen I (310hp/350ci) is the same engine as the Monsoon minus a different ECU, inkake and exhaust manafolds, and fuel injection set up. You can pick up a new long block for around $4K and bolt your monsoon items on. This keeps the boat stock and more money in your wallet for $5.00 per gallon gas this summer.

If you have to have more power, I would see if the 8.1 would fit and go for the low end torque. You can pick up a complete HO 8.1 for around the same price as the Hammerhead.

What are your uses going to be? How many in your crew? What is your general ballast/wedge config? How is the condition of the rest of the boat? Are you OK with loosing money on this to have the extra power for the time that you own it? This will help us give a solid recommendation of engines. Obviously more power is never a bad thing. With that being said, some people wouldn't use the extra power much so it's not worth the expense. If the rest of the boat isn't in great shape you may want to thing reman. During resale you may not get your money out of a new/upgraded engine if it was put in a mediocre boat.

If I was to upgrade to the HH it would be the 383, not the 380 like what was in the 04, less problems and more power. O5 they swithched to the 383, from the dealership only thing to upgrade would be th ECM. Exaust manifolds have been checked and are fine.

Don't need the Caddy engine, too much work to get it in there and more money than I want to spend.

Uses will be mainly wakeboarding, sking and cruising. Crew will generally be 5-10. Boat has the standard 4 tank ballast system and manual wedge. Boat is in overall great condition. May do upholstery work down the road but it is in good shape. They didn't think that they needed to winterize the boat since it was in TX, block froze and cracked.

Local dealership wants $4900 for an new Monsoon long block. Through Summmit I can get a 383 marine long block built to specs for $4300. A friend of mine was doing the pricing so don't know what they want for a 340 Monsoon speced engine. Does anyone have any experience with a Reman?

If you are going to run a lot of weight I would rock the 383 long block and re-prop it for the new engine. I'm guessing you'll need an ECM and fuel injection set-up for the Hammerhead as well (if the injector size is different on the Hammerhead). I don't know if the other sensors are the same (knock, intake air, etc).

If your only going to run the stock ballast and maybe the wedge I would go with the Monsoon long block to save a bit of gas and the peace of mind of the rock solid Monsoon as well as the ability to reuse all you current sensors and engine electronics.

The price difference between a reman 350 and a new one is usually only $300-$400, and on reasale there is a big difference between "new" and "reman".

A new 350 marine longblock is $2650 plus shipping from Michigan Motorz. No point in going with an "Indmar" block from the dealer.

I'd just replace the Monsoon and own the boat at the right price.

In the old day's when I had good tools and a place to do it, I'd just replace the block and heads. I'd re-use the crank, cam, rod's, new pistons, rings, bearings, re-use oil pump, pan, distrib. and all exterior parts. I used to work at Summit Racing and have rebuilt ohhhhh soooo many engines. Still live nearby, and visit often.

But, ha, today, I'd get an "identical" re-man. long block with long warranty and just add your exterior parts. That also means no prop change, ecm change, adapter, etc.

Best of luck, and thanks in advance for any pic's of the project. It's a long winter....

Steve B.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is an update, and yes I am working on getting photos.

After listening to everyone one this site as along with my dealer, I went ahead and stuck with the Monsoon motor. The long block showed up today, I need to order gaskets, a damper plate, starter, along with a few other odds and ends and it will be time to swap over parts and install the motor. Still on track to finish by spring.

Thanks for all the imput from the site.

Robert