Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opion On Black Box/ Head Unit In Newer Bu's

kkong72

Hey everyone, I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a new vRide here soon and i could use some advice. I was hopping to get some opinions on the head unit that comes standard now (I believe most people refer to it as the black box, i may be wrong). I have played with one in a friends 08 vtx and i really didn't like its functionality, but also i didn't get to play with it for that long. As of right now i plan on doing wetsounds through out the boat and I'm considering controlling it all off of a clarion M309. Pretty much I'm looking for opinions on whether i should stick with what Malibu supplies or if i should go the route I'm leaning towards with the clarion unit.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Nick, congrats. Now approx 1/2 of the folks who cruise the stereo forums hate you because you ID'd yourself as a Wetsounds guy. Just kidding.

I have the Fosgate black box, and like it. Although the Fosgate dash remote is very sensitive, accidentally brushing up against it will work the buttons and interrrup your music playing. Happens alot to folks. With the Vride, I dont believe you have that hole in the dash that has to be filled with something like on the 11 and up Wakesetters. So you can explore other options.

Several folks have come on here with problems and quality issues with the Fosgate black box and the other brand I think its a JBL? I havent expereinced any of those problems. Mine works good for what I need and I have more stereo in my boat than most. And again '11 and up Wakesetters... you have a hole in your dash otherwise.

Another route i'd offer for consideration: Several folks are heading towards no head unit at all. Get one of the high end EQ/Line drivers from Exile, Wetsounds or Audio control and that goes straight into your amp using the aux input, so all you music comes from your MP3s, Pandora or whatever on your smart phone. for the most part, no one uses CD's or listens to the radio anymore, so why even use a head unit. provides a much cleaner and simpler install, and increased capability.

Considering this for replacing RF unit in my '11 247 - really like the waterproof internal storage area for the ipod !

Kenwood KMR-700U Marine iPod/USB Receiver with Ipx5 Protection and Sirius Direct Connection

Checking whether it fills the entire dash hole or not.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BPLW0O/ref=asc_df_B002BPLW0O1876602?smid=A2R3C9EKLQ57PZ&tag=dealtmp5801-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B002BPLW0O

Edited by NuBuGuy2011

The black box units are ok if you are ok at troubleshooting and eliminating noise issues. An increase in preamp voltage is really a good idea on these given the very low signal voltage they produce. If you don't need the remote control interface capeability of the black box and want something clean and reliable I'd go with just an EQ/Zone Control from one of the many manufacturers. This might save you some troubles later on.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I have never heard of the option of running everything off of just an EQ, this sounds like a very attractive option. The only draw back to this plan for me is the fact that i wouldn't have audio access from the transom.

No a fan of the black box either. I ended up wiring my black box so that the only function is performs is to to turn on the EQ. So when I hit the power button on the dash mounted Rockford remote control, it turns the Audiocontrol EQ on and off.

There is nothing else connected the the black and music does not travel through it. I was going to mount a switch somewhere to turn on the EQ, but this work just as well.