Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats The Biggest Speaker You Can Run In The Factory Dash?

cowwboy

It's about time to start thinking of replacing my poor factory interior speakers.

They don't usually get used to much besides when cruising along. When boarding or tied up it's always tower and sub and interiors off.

What is the largest / best speaker that can be put into the factory holes in the dash?

I'd love to have a set of jl 7.7's but don't think it's possible without hacking my pretty dash.

Also would prefer something with a option for a smooth grill since it will also have to go down by the feet for the rear speakers.

I hate kicking a pretty yet sharp speaker grill and tearing your toes up.

You may be able to get a 7.7" speaker in the dash as long as you don't cut the larger hole any closer to the front of the dash but I'm not sure why you would want to. The sound from a 6.5" speaker reflects off of the glass directly toward you.

I installed Wet Sounds SW-65-Bs in the dash of my 2008 VLX. Although I used XS-650s in the sides and rear, I chose the SW-65-Bs for the dash because the the mounting depth was limited to about 2.7", the closed grill protects the speaker from direct sunlight and the black grills minimizes glare. They fit into the existing 5" holes without modification. This is a 6.5" speaker with a 2.6" mounting depth.

post-8878-0-24833400-1327704467_thumb.jp

I had to remove the windshield to get the mounting holes drilled. I dreaded doing it but it was not nearly as onerous as I imagined. It only took about an hour.

The Wet Sounds speakers sound great. My only complaint with them is the thickness of the grill. The installation would look better if the grill wasn't so thick. It's a good 1/2" thick. If this is a factor for you, I would consider the Polk MM651 and/or MM651UM. They have a much thinner grill. I was strongly considering them before I went with Wet Sounds. I was going the put the MM651s on the dash and the MM651UMs in the sides and rear.

post-8878-0-76457500-1327710991_thumb.jp

post-8878-0-40622400-1327711001_thumb.jp

Edited by Brent Wall

The only reason I was leaning to the 7.7's is hearing them in my buddies xstar.

Those sw look good in the dash.

Whats the difference between the sw and xs?

Didn't like the Rockfords?:)

You may be able to get a 7.7" speaker in the dash as long as you don't cut the larger hole any closer to the front of the dash but I'm not sure why you would want to. The sound from a 6.5" speaker reflects off of the glass directly toward you.

I installed Wet Sounds SW-65-Bs in the dash of my 2008 VLX. Although I used XS-650s in the sides and rear, I chose the SW-65-Bs for the dash because the the mounting depth was limited to about 2.7", the closed grill protects the speaker from direct sunlight and the black grills minimizes glare. They fit into the existing 5" holes without modification. This is a 6.5" speaker with a 2.6" mounting depth.

post-8878-0-24833400-1327704467_thumb.jp

I had to remove the windshield to get the mounting holes drilled. I dreaded doing it but it was not nearly as onerous as I imagined. It only took about an hour.

The Wet Sounds speakers sound great. My only complaint with them is the thickness of the grill. The installation would look better if the grill wasn't so thick. It's a good 1/2" thick. If this is a factor for you, I would consider the Polk MM651 and/or MM651UM. They have a much thinner grill. I was strongly considering them before I went with Wet Sounds. I was going the put the MM651s on the dash and the MM651UMs in the sides and rear.

post-8878-0-76457500-1327710991_thumb.jp

post-8878-0-40622400-1327711001_thumb.jp

The only reason I was leaning to the 7.7's is hearing them in my buddies xstar.

Those sw look good in the dash.

Whats the difference between the sw and xs?

I believe the only difference is the grill.

The XS series uses the open "tribal" grill. The color designation is for the color of the cone which can be silver or black.

post-8878-0-23572400-1328038986_thumb.jp

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-65.html

The SW series uses a closed/tribal grill. The color designation is for the color of the grill which an be while or black.

post-8878-0-46644000-1328038996_thumb.jp

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-65.html

Edited by Brent Wall
  • 2 months later...

Did you consider Jl Audio M650-CCX-CG-WH? These speakers are awesome. I have the non marine version in my truck and had the 7.7 inch in my previous boat. They have great bass response which I don't think you can tell from reading any specs. I also wanted to use 7.7 inch version but dont think they fit in the rear of my 2007 23 ft LSV. I think they fit in the sides and probably not under the windshield. So I got 6 M650s. Going to install tomorrow but not looking forward to taking the windshield off. Hopefully its not as bad as it looks. My boat came with non marine grade Rockford Fosgate T162C on side and back which only retails for $100 MSRP whereas the M650s are $400 MSRP but you can get much cheaper online. The under windshield were Rockford P162C which are only 25RMS and hopefully my M650s will fit. Should sound much better. Also looking at replacing my 10inch Rockford sub with a 12inch ported JL. You can get tinned twisted pair 14 gauge wire 250ft for $129 from HiFi sound connection, its a deal. Then you know the copper wont rust and its only a $60 premium over non twisted copper speaker wire.

I went with a pair of polk momo that my installer had collecting dust for dirt dirt cheap.

20/pair you can't pass up for ones that used to be in their demo board.