Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seating Capacity

smeagol

I have an '05 VLX which says that the seating capacity is 11. I was just looking at the 2011 Ride (which I think is the same boat as my '05 VLX) and its seating capacity is 13. There have been times when I've had to leave a 12th person back on the dock because I am a law abiding citizen...

What has changed? How are the capacity limits going up on identical boats?

Can I get a get a new sticker that says my capacity is now 13?

I have an '05 VLX which says that the seating capacity is 11. I was just looking at the 2011 Ride (which I think is the same boat as my '05 VLX) and its seating capacity is 13. There have been times when I've had to leave a 12th person back on the dock because I am a law abiding citizen...

What has changed? How are the capacity limits going up on identical boats?

Can I get a get a new sticker that says my capacity is now 13?

I don't have an answer for you, but another brand's boat has gone up and down between 6 and 10 people over it's current hull's life. Some owners chimed in that their capacity plates say 12 for the same boat.

Copied from their site:

2002 - 10 People (1,340 lbs)

2003 - 10 People (1,340 lbs)

2004 - 6 People (900 lbs)

2005 - 6 People (900 lbs)

2006 - 6 People (900 lbs)

2007 - 6 People (900 lbs)

2008 - 7 People (1,087 lbs)

2009 - 7 People (1,087 lbs)

2010 - 7 People (1,087 lbs)

Lots of theories, but no hard answers that I found. Could be that USCG modifies how they are calculated over time?

I would assume it has to do with the stock ballast, i have an 05 vlx as well

I dont think the rides have the forward stock ballast tho so that would allow more capacity for ppl

Question,,, if the plate says 10 persons OR 1360lbs How can someone get ticketed if they have 11 and no one weighs the occupants? Seems the Water Patrol guys should have scales on their boats to check capacity weights. Plates plainly say OR is it 10 OR 11 kids and 1 adult that go under 1360 ??? I never have really understood the whole "OR" thing.

...I never have really understood the whole "OR" thing.

I was told that you are not supposed to exceed either #. :fingerwag:

The number of people thing seems kinda silly though. :unsure: Weight would seem to be the important issue. :dontknow:

Basically, the NMMA who does the certification used to use a simple math equation to judge how many people could fit on a boat. for the 2011 model year, the NMMA started allowing CAD drawings of Malibu's vessels which apparently allowed them to rate all of their boats up in people.

personally, I'd like to see the NMMA rate real-world actual butts in the seats all at one time seating. It would help shed some light on some of these preposterous claims on some boats.

18 people in a X45? In no way can 18 people actually fit with the boat underway. We tested this, there were a total of 10 actual adult seating positions behind the windshield. (all seated at the same time) Which would mean we need to stuff 8 in the bow. No way

Honestly, 13 in a 21' ride seems kinda nuts too.

18 people in a X45? In no way can 18 people actually fit with the boat underway. We tested this, there were a total of 10 actual adult seating positions behind the windshield. (all seated at the same time) Which would mean we need to stuff 8 in the bow. No way

Having owned an X45 for over 2 years, I would disagree. I had 16 adults and teenagers on the boat. Many of them were shoulder to shoulder, but it could pretty easily be done with non-obese individuals. Frankly it got a bit scary when everyone moved to one side to surf. 8 could fit in the bow, but it would be tight. 10 would be a piece of cake in the main cabin area. I also vowed that day to never take 16 teenagers in my boat ever again. I just cannot watch them all when it comes time to take off.

But I don't want to get too far off topic or start an argument.

I have heard of manufacturers putting more foam in the boat, so that gives them more occupancy....Can anyone confirm that? I always thought the boat should still float when capsized if it had that # of people clinging to the hull.

all nmma boats should be neutral buoyant. up to their capacity.

this is why imho water ballast is smarter than lead up to a point. too much water ballast won't sink you to the bottom

Ii dont know how foam in the hull would increase carry capacity. I do undertsand though how it could keep a boat from sinking to the bottom. 2 very different things though.

My understanding is that part of the capacity rating was based on how much weight the boat could support even if capsized, and still stay afloat. So I thought it increased the rating. That is why the rating is also based on weight.

But then it seems like I have heard other places that they simply calculate a length X width and make up a seating capacity. That sounds stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me...

Having owned an X45 for over 2 years, I would disagree. I had 16 adults and teenagers on the boat. Many of them were shoulder to shoulder, but it could pretty easily be done with non-obese individuals. Frankly it got a bit scary when everyone moved to one side to surf. 8 could fit in the bow, but it would be tight. 10 would be a piece of cake in the main cabin area. I also vowed that day to never take 16 teenagers in my boat ever again. I just cannot watch them all when it comes time to take off.

I have heard of manufacturers putting more foam in the boat, so that gives them more occupancy....Can anyone confirm that? I always thought the boat should still float when capsized if it had that # of people clinging to the hull.

My sticker says 10ppl It gets too stinkin croweded after 8 (teens adults and a kid for good measure). Just too high a chance of wacking somone with a board while changing riders with 9or10.

What I am challenged with is the large jump between the VTX and VLX. 11-14 people then the VLX to LSV which is only 1 person. When the step change between each is more or less equal. How can you get 3 more people in a VLX over a VTX and only one more in a LSV over a VLX. Beam and length changes are very similar...

http://www.malibuboats.com/downloads/2011_Malibu_Specs_9-2010.pdf

What I am challenged with is the large jump between the VTX and VLX. 11-14 people then the VLX to LSV which is only 1 person. When the step change between each is more or less equal. How can you get 3 more people in a VLX over a VTX and only one more in a LSV over a VLX. Beam and length changes are very similar...

http://www.malibuboats.com/downloads/2011_Malibu_Specs_9-2010.pdf

14 people in the VLX is going to jammed in like sardines. I had had up to 13 people in my VLX, 6 adults and the rest were kids 13 and under and we were pretty maxed out. 14 adults in the VLX would be very tight and not comfortable, you can get 8-10 adults an still have a little comfort for everyone. If you plan on constantly having 10+ people in your boat I would recommend the LSV, it would accomodate a larger group better. Would recommend going down to the dealer and sitting in them all, then you will get a feel for the space.

One trade off with the quad ballast (bow) is you get no storage space in your bow area, and when you have a large group of people every inch counts.

I agree on taking 16 out, I took 13 one time and really nobody gets to ride much. Plus, it turns into a headache trying to keep everyone happy, almost feels like a crowded day at Disneyland.. people ALWAYS in your face! :biggrin: . I will say, I had an advanced rider with us what day, the evening water was complete butter, so I totally overloaded the boat by filling the ballast and wedge, and the wake was rediculuos. I would never do this in rough water, because you could easily get into trouble quickly...it was quite fun to watch him launching. After his set, he confirmed it was the biggest wake he had ever ridden on! :rockon:

Edited by Fman

I think I remember reading somewhere a couple years ago that the weight number was determined by how much weight the boat could have in it (or clinging to it) , have a hole in it, and still some portion of the boat (usually the nose) would float for some period of time (I think it was an hour). So adding floatation foam could increase the weight number in the same hull.