Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Wedge

eubanks

I believe that the wedge arms are made out of brass. I just check on the old MBO and there was a post that from wakejoker that said it was made out of brass. BTW what happened to wakejoker? I haven't ever seen him on this site...so does anyone know if you can bend brass by heating it up without damaging it???

JSP, You're out of control...

Stats from the last 24 hours...

Member Joined Total Posts Posts Today % of all posts

jetskipro550 April 14, 2005 2,029 46 17.23%

Shocking.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

I do believe the test here would be a propeller. you bend your propeller and they use heat and a jig to straighten it. I would then guess that its strength would be similar to its orininal strength, potentially slightly weaker since any metal you bend is slightly weaker after straightening. Ultimately I would guess that since the load on the wedge is soo great I would tend just to pop for new arms to protect against this happening again during the middle of the season, causing downtime. Jmho

Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

The wedge arms look like they are cast in a sand mold, then machined where needed. That means that it will be more brittle and easier to break depending on the alloy content. It may be able to be straightened, but most likely not be as strong as it once was. Heat the area to be straightened evenly and include all of the bent portion to a medium red glow. Do not heat the areas that are not bent. Apply pressure with a press gradually (slowly) and make sure to get it straight the first time because reheating will make it much weaker and even more brittle. Be sure to let it cool off slowly to keep it from becoming more brittle.

I spoke to a guy that does a lot of brazing and bending of brass & copper today and he said the same as I mentioned earlier and Gooddog stated above. For some reason I think the arms are either brass or nibral. they are NOT steel as someone mentioned above.

Heat what you have to.

Get it right the first time.

Let it cool on it's own.

Don't hit anything again! (or Pops will have to buy a new wedge...) Tongue.gif

Good luck!

Innocent.gif

Patrick