Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speakers On G3

Cdoogles

Hey folks, There used to be endless debates on here about this, but not so much anymore, so I thought I would get some fresh thoughts, opinions, and photos. I'm working on designing a mid-level stereo for my new MXZ that is on order. I have not previously owned a G3 tower, so I'm not sure what I need to be concerned with in regards to speaker size and the number of speakers. My ultimate goal is to have something that sounds respectable in the boat, at surfing distance, and at the end of an 80' line. I don't need the loudest system out there, but I do want to be able to hear it from all these locations, and I would like it to sound good :) I know, I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I'm pretty partial to the Exile product line, and was wondering if one pair of XM9s would word, or would it be better to go with two pairs of XM7s, or one pair of each? Any sizing/clearance issues with the XM9s on a G3 tower? Photos of these setups, or those of other brands on the G3 tower would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey folks, There used to be endless debates on here about this, but not so much anymore, so I thought I would get some fresh thoughts, opinions, and photos. I'm working on designing a mid-level stereo for my new MXZ that is on order. I have not previously owned a G3 tower, so I'm not sure what I need to be concerned with in regards to speaker size and the number of speakers. My ultimate goal is to have something that sounds respectable in the boat, at surfing distance, and at the end of an 80' line. I don't need the loudest system out there, but I do want to be able to hear it from all these locations, and I would like it to sound good :) I know, I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I'm pretty partial to the Exile product line, and was wondering if one pair of XM9s would word, or would it be better to go with two pairs of XM7s, or one pair of each? Any sizing/clearance issues with the XM9s on a G3 tower? Photos of these setups, or those of other brands on the G3 tower would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I will be hooking up 2 pair of XM9's on my G3 in about a week and will let you know. I will be using the newly designed brackets that solve clearance issues.

I will be hooking up 2 pair of XM9's on my G3 in about a week and will let you know. I will be using the newly designed brackets that solve clearance issues.

The big question is...Where is that newly Desgned Bracket.. I think there are quite a few of us waiting for that... Here is a pic of the Hybird Set up, 4 STX65s and a set of XM9's on the Loop, I will also be swiching out to 4 or 6 XM9's On My G3

270814_2110215602404_1456029435_32265762_4444109_n.jpg

Given what you've described I'd go with just the one set of XM9's and a harpoon amp so you can utilize the throttle box sound shaping feature to acccomplish the goals you've described. You'll be able to add an additional set of XM9's with that amp if you choose to, or even 2 sets of the surf speakers if you desire. I've done all the above in my boat and on my G3 tower.

The big question is...Where is that newly Desgned Bracket.. I think there are quite a few of us waiting for that... Here is a pic of the Hybird Set up, 4 STX65s and a set of XM9's on the Loop, I will also be swiching out to 4 or 6 XM9's On My G3

270814_2110215602404_1456029435_32265762_4444109_n.jpg

I have been told any day now on the bracket.

I've been toying with the idea of tower speakers as well. My cfo likes the way the speakers are set-up on the first couple of pics on this thread:

A question for the guys who switched from the hybrid set-up to all 9s: why? When I first read about the hybrid set-up, I thought it was a great idea, the best of both worlds?

I've been toying with the idea of tower speakers as well. My cfo likes the way the speakers are set-up on the first couple of pics on this thread:

http://www.themalibu...m9-on-hoop-bar/

A question for the guys who switched from the hybrid set-up to all 9s: why? When I first read about the hybrid set-up, I thought it was a great idea, the best of both worlds?

Hey Dexter, When I first was going to do Exile tower speakers, I was told the XM7 were Great but maybe not as warm and a little hard on the ears when cranked up, So to warm up the sound we added the SXT65's , that was the best of both worlds... Then Of course they come out with the XM9's I really loved the sound of them and liked how much more mid base they had then the XM7 So really The 9's gave me the true sound I was after and Plus they sounded even better at 80 + Feet, So Now I will switch to 4 XM9's It's just personal preference ...( Oh and a certain Buddy that has a ton of amps subs and a boat full of speakers in 27 ft Baja, )

Given your descriptiontion I will be willing to bet that the XM9 is what you are looking for. Start with one pair and down the road you can add a second with out issue. You are local to Bobby light and myself we both run Exile. Bobby has 3 pairs of XM9`s on his tower and I run the surf set up. I am sure we could get you a listen if you wanted. They are great speakers and the mounting system is hands down the best thing I have ever added to the boat. let us know if your interested.

Edited by liljohn

liljohn, first off thanks for the offer, it would be great to hear some of these speakers in action, although it might be a little cold to get the boats out anytime soon. If it's still a possibility I would definitely be interested.

It does sound like the XM9 would be a good starting point for the system and would meet all of my needs. Can this speaker be mounted on the side mounts instead of on the overhead hoop? What's the deal with the new bracket folks are waiting for?

Thanks for all the input folks!

Edited by Cdoogles

liljohn, first off thanks for the offer, it would be great to hear some of these speakers in action, although it might be a little cold to get the boats out anytime soon. If it's still a possibility I would definitely be interested.

It does sound like the XM9 would be a good starting point for the system and would meet all of my needs. Can this speaker be mounted on the side mounts instead of on the overhead hoop? What's the deal with the new bracket folks are waiting for?

I am sure we can get you a driveway listen before it warms up. the bracket that every one is talking about is used to mount two XM9`s on the side of the tower. If your only running one pair to start they can mount to the side of he tower. if you add a second set you will need the new bracket that every one is waiting for. No need to mount on the hoop. Bobby light is going to be a little busy with a new born baby ( If she ever decides to come out) real soon but I imagine we can get him to pull the boat out of the garage in a few weeks. If we can get his boat out I can bring my speakers as well. (gotta love that they all use the same quick clamp) the amp settings will be a little hot for the surf set up but it will give you a good idea at what you would be getting either direction you go.

We'll get you a listen to them installed on a boat so you can see if they are what you want.

Sampson was at the boat show last night and they had a tower with the hybrid setup on it. I was able to hear it with just the SD9s (XM9s) playing and with those and the SMT65s playing. You could hear the difference with the SMT65s, but it's hard to really compare to actually being in the boat with 8 speakers and a sub already playing all around you. Nonetheless, I was impressed with the XM9s clarity at volume. I'll probably do a little more investigation into other options, and try to get a real world listen on one of these setups, but I don't think I would be disappointed with a pair of XM9s on the tower.