Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Entry Level 12" Subs

augie09

Looking for some reviews on entry level subs, like the exile xpe12d or xi12 or westound xs-12 or jl audio 12w3

I plan on putting a single sub in a sealed or ported plywood (high quality ply) in place of the drivers kick panel on my 08 vride. With an adequate power supply would this be pretty darn sufficient? I dont' want to spend 500-700 on just the sub, so looking for feedback on these $300 price range subs.

I currently have 4 kicker incabins with 4 channel amp and 4 exile sxt65 with harpoon on tower. I want the boat to have a nice clean bump that sounds good on country, rap, pop and rock. We usually dont' play the music loud at all except when wakeboarding (small kids on board 90% of the time).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• augie09

• martinarcher

• old skool malibu

• Earmark Marine

No experience with the Exile or Wetsounds subs, but I've built more boxes for the JLW3 than I would like to admit. It was the sub of choice when I was in high school and college. They sound great and the amount of abuse they will take and keep playing fine is staggering. They have been very popular for years so I bet you could pick up a craigslist steal on one....that said it is nice to open a brand new sub and know the history of it. Thumbup.gif

Looking for some reviews on entry level subs, like the exile xpe12d or xi12 or westound xs-12 or jl audio 12w3

I plan on putting a single sub in a sealed or ported plywood (high quality ply) in place of the drivers kick panel on my 08 vride. With an adequate power supply would this be pretty darn sufficient? I dont' want to spend 500-700 on just the sub, so looking for feedback on these $300 price range subs.

I currently have 4 kicker incabins with 4 channel amp and 4 exile sxt65 with harpoon on tower. I want the boat to have a nice clean bump that sounds good on country, rap, pop and rock. We usually dont' play the music loud at all except when wakeboarding (small kids on board 90% of the time).

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_41281_JL-Audio-12W6v2-D4-Open-Box.html

Edited by Debt Setter

I can only comment on the Exile which I have herd and the IDQ that is in my boat. They are both great. I love my IDQ but had Exile been around when I installed it I would have gone that route. Only for the fact that I think it sounds a little cleaner and louder. Thats hard to say being that I haven`t herd them powered equaly but the exilel xi12 will be my next sub if/when the IDQ gives out.

No experience with the Exile or Wetsounds subs, but I've built more boxes for the JLW3 than I would like to admit. It was the sub of choice when I was in high school and college. They sound great and the amount of abuse they will take and keep playing fine is staggering. They have been very popular for years so I bet you could pick up a craigslist steal on one....that said it is nice to open a brand new sub and know the history of it. Thumbup.gif

Nice to know they've been around a while and have been popular. Trying to find recommended cubic ft for a box on these and ported vs sealed. What have you normally done?

nice find!

I didn't realize these 12w3 and 12w6 weren't marine subs, but auto subs. At least according to JL's website. not sure how much longevity concerns this has.

You will no go wrong with a JL Audio W3. This was the first sub that I ever put in a boat and loved it!

Power it with a JL Audio JX 500/1 and you should not spend more that 600 for the woofer and amp.

Edited by Murphy8166

Augie, most of those in the 600wt RMS are certainly midto upper level.... not entry, especially the JLW3.

The only others i'd offer for consideration are the Alpine Type R's and Re Subs, widely considered as the top 12" subs in the $200 range. Hard to be their specs and sound quality for that money.

And the Re SEX(600RMS) or SXX(1000RMS) subs. Here you can get the RE SXX 1000watt shipped for 227$ .

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m538_i41_re-audio-12-subwoofers.html

Nice to know they've been around a while and have been popular. Trying to find recommended cubic ft for a box on these and ported vs sealed. What have you normally done?

nice find!

I didn't realize these 12w3 and 12w6 weren't marine subs, but auto subs. At least according to JL's website. not sure how much longevity concerns this has.

Yep, auto subs are fine for marine use. I've used auto subs in all my boats.

Here's JL's recommendations on the W3 (12") enclosure. I've had great luck with their recommended enclosure sizes. Thumbup.gif

EDIT: Here's a good read form JL on enclosures.

If you were only a little closer. I've got a box that I built to fit that space in my 06 vride (no heater). I removed the factory kick panel and the box went right there, at basically the same angle as the factory kick. I had an infinity kappa perfect 12 in it, but I think it'd do fine with any sub that would do well with a little over 1 ft2 sealed. I hate to throw it away but I don't have much use for it either. Right now it's serving as a step up to my swim platform. Crazy.gif

If you were only a little closer. I've got a box that I built to fit that space in my 06 vride (no heater). I removed the factory kick panel and the box went right there, at basically the same angle as the factory kick. I had an infinity kappa perfect 12 in it, but I think it'd do fine with any sub that would do well with a little over 1 ft2 sealed. I hate to throw it away but I don't have much use for it either. Right now it's serving as a step up to my swim platform. Crazy.gif

yeah, I would buy it off you if shipping charges were nill, but that is exactly my plan. I don't want to lose any foot space, which is why I am not going with the earmark pre built malibu sub box. Haven't build one before, but how hard can it be.

I have JL 12 W6 in my truck and JL 10 W3 in my boat. Both powered with 1000 watts. Both are musical and accurate. The W3 series is just a step behind the W6. If I had never heard the W6 series, I would think the W3 was fine.

I would go with the JL 10 W6 ( I am making the switch myself) The 10" will be much easier to build the proper size box to fit behind the kick panel without any special modifications. If you do not have a heater under there, you might get lucky enough to find a ready made box. Add some rubber feet (home depot) to keep the box off the floor and you may find this to be the simple solution.

Don't skimp on the amp. Quality class D sub amps are are easy enough to find at a decent price. I went from a crappy MTX 500 watt class D to an Alpine PDX 1000 watt class D and the sound of the entire system was a night and day difference.

augie09,

I would classify an entry level sub as one that is very responsive to moderate power. This does not mean that it has to be a compromise in sound quality or construction quality in any way or form. That will depend on the particular manufacturer.

If I had a woofer that would handle 1000 watts but required 4 dB more power to reach a certain amplitude at low frequencies versus a woofer that would handle 500 watts but required 4 dB less power to achieve the same output, then the second woofer would play louder before reaching its thermal limitations.

A massive woofer with a longer voice coil, larger diameter voice coil, heavier surround and multiple spiders carries a lot more moving mass in order to handle the extra power and to deliver greater excursion. All that extra mass means more interia to control. So a massive woofer might require double or triple the power to reach its full potential and still sound agile while a lighter and more responsive woofer can be driven to its potential with a fraction of the power.

There is a place for both.

There is no replacement for the ideal match between the woofer and its enclosure plus the woofer and its amplifier.

David

Well I was not sure which one I Had, Funny I hit the xi12 Link and wouldn't you know it, Thats my boat and sub illitration...LOL So I guess I answered my question, Now to comment on it, This Sub gives me plenty of hard hitting clean base, I was thinkig of going with more, But I decided to stay with this one, I'm very happy with it and how it turned out, Defiantly a good one, Its powered with 1500 watt amp. Edited by Wakesetter67

should of said 'mid level sub' :whistle:

augie09,

I would classify an entry level sub as one that is very responsive to moderate power.

There is no replacement for the ideal match between the woofer and its enclosure plus the woofer and its amplifier.

Yeah, I was trying to pair one of these subs with either the exile 600.1, the jl xd300 or jx500, but now I am thinking I need a slightly bigger amp for these listed subs.

Well I was not sure which one I Had, Funny I hit the xi12 Link and wouldn't you know it, Thats my boat and sub illitration...LOL So I guess I answered my question, Now to comment on it, This Sub gives me plenty of hard hitting clean base, I was thinkig of going with more, But I decided to stay with this one, I'm very happy with it and how it turned out, Defiantly a good one, Its powered with 1500 watt amp.

If I wasn't trying to squeeze the amp and sub for $600, this would be my preferred setup, since rest of my system is exile minus incabin speakers, (maybe I should call bryan for a deal :biggrin: ). I was thinking of the exile 600.1, but thats a fraction of the power you are using.

should of said 'mid level sub' :whistle:

Yeah, I was trying to pair one of these subs with either the exile 600.1, the jl xd300 or jx500, but now I am thinking I need a slightly bigger amp for these listed subs.

If I wasn't trying to squeeze the amp and sub for $600, this would be my preferred setup, since rest of my system is exile minus incabin speakers, (maybe I should call bryan for a deal :biggrin: ). I was thinking of the exile 600.1, but thats a fraction of the power you are using.

Well I can always be persuaded to sell my 1500 & Sub, PM if your interested...

Better ask your wife first :lol::lol:

j/k with you....but I couldn't resist SORRY

The Question is, Can she tell the difference between a ix12 Or a Big 12.. 1500 Watts or 2500 watts Thats the question...LOL

I have JL 12 W6 in my truck and JL 10 W3 in my boat. Both powered with 1000 watts. Both are musical and accurate. The W3 series is just a step behind the W6. If I had never heard the W6 series, I would think the W3 was fine.

I would go with the JL 10 W6 ( I am making the switch myself) The 10" will be much easier to build the proper size box to fit behind the kick panel without any special modifications. If you do not have a heater under there, you might get lucky enough to find a ready made box. Add some rubber feet (home depot) to keep the box off the floor and you may find this to be the simple solution.

Don't skimp on the amp. Quality class D sub amps are are easy enough to find at a decent price. I went from a crappy MTX 500 watt class D to an Alpine PDX 1000 watt class D and the sound of the entire system was a night and day difference.

Would you say that 2 w6 subs would be much better than 2 rockford 12's?